X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tattoo Brainstorming?

I've been mulling over a tattoo concept for a while now, a rather large piece that's going to wrap around my ribs. It's going to be a whole Alice in Wonderland piece, but due to the size and cost, I won't be able to get it for a little while yet. Gotta put away lots of pennies first.

In the mean time, I'm thinking of getting another Alice themed tattoo just to hold me over for a bit, and I'd like to get a bit of brain storming going on, just to help out a little. All I want are items from the story. No characters. Right now I'm thinking I'd like to have the Mad Hatters hat (obviously), the white rabbits pocket watch, and either a tea pot, or the caterpillar's hookah. What other specific items come to mind when you think of Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass? Curious to know what others remember from the story that isn't jumping out at me. Or have I pretty much nailed all of the specific memorable items?
    Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    | Karl Marx |

A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.
    | Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Drink Me, Eat Me signs
    A door you can't fit through
    Queen of Hearts, cards
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

IDK why, but I always think of playing cards, crowns and knives.
      "I used to wonder what friendship could be, Until you all shared its magic with me." - Jesus Christ

Comment

Teeth.

But you say no characters.
        Teapot. Cards, that little tag/message on the Hatter's Hat.
        Ruthless Queen.

I remember reading, not sure if I bought it, think I did but packed too far away to find easily, a REALLY neat illustrated Alice book, it was made with Woodcuts I believe. 9x12 or like a larger then letter sheet. Black softcover book.
        Dribbble Page
        Behance Portfolio
        Linkedin Profile

Comment

Just a smile. That would be awesome.
          This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
          "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

The "Drink Me" bottle and playing cards are great! The Hatters hat would definitely have his 10/6 sign.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought of tea pots....mentioned that to Audi this morning.

The smile could be awesome if worked in right.

Talking to the other designer here, we think it would be cool if I could get several different items, and find a way to make it look like they're falling down the rabbit hole....so all of these ideas are golden. The smile just floating there would look sweet!

Keep 'em coming gang!
            Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
            | Karl Marx |

| Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

A snake!

Because I know how you love them so.
              This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
              "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

A treacle well!

Actually I can't really think of anything else that hasn't been said except mushrooms maybe?

I do remember the dormouse's story about the sisters that lived at the bottom of a treacle well as being one of my favorite parts.

`What did they live on?' said Alice, who always took a great interest in questions of eating and drinking.
                `They lived on treacle,' said the Dormouse, after thinking a minute or two.
                `They couldn't have done that, you know,' Alice gently remarked; `they'd have been ill.'
                `So they were,' said the Dormouse; `VERY ill.'
                I know that's an odd thing to single out but the `So they were,' said the Dormouse; `VERY ill.' It gets me every time.

Comment

When I think of Alice in Wonderland, I think of the original illustrations: http://www.alice-in-wonderland.net/alice2a.html. Especially the top hat and the one where Alice's neck is stretched out (it gave me the creeps when I was a kid).

Comment

Originally posted by garricks View Post
                    Just a smile. That would be awesome.
                    this

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

white roses painted red
                      Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

that could be really cool too PanToshi. a floating paint brush with red paint about to drip off it, right next to a half painted white rose.

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

splatters flying!
                          Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

What about:

The flamingo/hedgehog croquette pieces.

White roses obviously painted red - this has a funny translation for me personally; I was asked to paint a portrait of my old CEO's pets. I painted them using pictures she sent as reference. After it was done, though, she decided she wanted her grey cat in the painting rather than the orange one I painted (she sent a photo of the orange one, so that's what I painted). She told me to just "paint the cat grey", rather than actually try to match it's features. She originally also told me to just Google pictures of Cavalier purebreeds since she didn't have good pictures of her own. Obviously she didn't care that it was an accurate portrait, just something to hang on the wall. Anyway, my friend (and co-worker at the time) still sing "painting the kitties grey" in the tune of "painting the roses red". LOL - sorry, silly inside joke.

Cards and suits of course - hearts, diamonds, clubs, spades.

I like the idea of vials or small boxes with 'drink me', 'eat me' signs.

Did the white rabbit have a monocle? I can't remember.
                            The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Yossarian View Post
                              A treacle well!

Actually I can't really think of anything else that hasn't been said except mushrooms maybe?

I do remember the dormouse's story about the sisters that lived at the bottom of a treacle well as being one of my favorite parts.

I know that's an odd thing to single out but the `So they were,' said the Dormouse; `VERY ill.' It gets me every time.
                              I have 2 quotes that I always remember. "Curiouser and Curiouser" (which I may incorporate into the tattoo if I can find a good way to do it) and from the Walrus and the Carpenter story "'The time has come' the walrus said 'to talk of many things. Of shoes and ships and sealing wax of cabbages and kings. And why the sea is boiling hot and whether pigs have wings.'"

I used to have that after my signature at the end of emails.

Originally posted by <b> View Post
                              When I think of Alice in Wonderland, I think of the original illustrations: http://www.alice-in-wonderland.net/alice2a.html. Especially the top hat and the one where Alice's neck is stretched out (it gave me the creeps when I was a kid).
                              I've always liked the one of her talking to the cheshire cat...I think mostly I liked that there was nothing to the right of the tree trunk, or below the branch. Just white...
                              | Karl Marx |

| Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X