Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• approveme
    Reply to Hardware, Software Advice
    approveme
    Hi Paul,

Welcome to this forum, hope you enjoy here.
    Today, 05:59 AM
  • Roth
    Reply to What do you think of my video game cover art?
    Roth
    This is inferior to the original in every way. PD made some very good points already to do with hierarchy, and energy. There are basically three elements, the figure, the name, and the background, so...
    Today, 12:14 AM
  • Roth
    Reply to Logo for a supplement company
    Roth
    This is a bit of a stretch. It's like you saw the H in the weights, ran with it, hit a creative wall and tried really hard to make the rest fit. The logo and name are out of proportion to one another...
    Yesterday, 11:50 PM
  • extraordenary
    extraordenary
    Professional designers either create the images themselves, or get it from someone else with respects to the copyrights. Designers often make sure that the image they have is royalty-free so they don't...
    Yesterday, 11:14 PM
  • graphic91
    graphic91
    Umm...really? I know about the design rules, but where to look first? There's not that much information or "look-at-mes" on it and it's just the cover of a video game. Most people who want to...
    Yesterday, 10:34 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob: potential terrorist menace?

I mentioned last week that I found this old Toshiba tablet/pc notebook and yep, it's a lot of fun to be drawing on a full colour high rez screen/digitizer. But... there was only 500 megs in the machine which can house up to 2Gb so I thought I would buy chips and upgrade. Easy, right?

Except... this machine is so old that the chips are very hard to find. Different voltage, speed things -- and from what I've read from other owners, you cannot just plop anything in there and expect it to work. It's finicky. Anyhow, after exhausting my search locally, and for an on-line Canadian solution, I started to browse for an American supplier. Except... none of them seemed to offer shipping to anywhere outside of the US. ??? But then I finally DID find one that said they would, so I ordered them.

And then... I get this letter from their order department saying that my order is ready to ship... BUT, I have to fill and sign a form before they can do that.

??

The form is titled, "Declaration of Regulatory Compliance End-User/End-Use Statement" (Form F080).

Firstly, this statement, says at the top that it requires an 'Annual Renewal'. Followed by a small type paragraph:

"The U.S. Department of Commerce requires adherence to the following guidelines when exporting goods from the United States. All military or “dual use” goods (commercial and military) purchased from G2 Technology, Inc. and or/its subsidiaries/affiliates mustbe exported or re-exported in compliance with United States Export Administration Regulation (EAR) CFR15 Part 730-774.* The U. S. Department of Commerce Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS), as well as, the Department of State and U.S. Department of Defense serve as the agencies that regulate and control the exports/re-exports, shipped and /or transshipped to sanctioned and embargoed countries and/or parties. A summation of the aforementioned U.S. export/re-export compliance regulations and responsibilities can be found at the URL address listed below:

Followed by more legalese including:

"We, the named company, are aware that products purchased from G2 Technology, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries or affiliates may require an export license and we will take the necessary steps to submit to the process and comply."

Export license?

I like this part:

"We, the named company, will comply with the US EXPORT/RE-EXPORT restrictions to persons/parties identified on the lists below:

(1) Denied Persons List, (BIS) (2) Unverified List, (BIS) (3) Entity, (BIS) (4) Special Designated Nationals List (Dept of Treasury) (5) Debarred List (Department of State)
    (REF: www.bis.doc.gov for further information)

See CFR15 Part 746 for current listing of Sanctioned & Embargoed Countries and Other Special Controls.

*We further agree that we, the named company, are responsible for complying with the export restrictions outlined in the EAR part 744.1-744.22 and supplements No. 1-5 (Control Policy: End User/End Use). In particular and when applicable, the restrictions referenced in part 744.17 (Microcircuits for military end uses and military end users)"

Wow. Who knew upgrading an old, used laptop could be construed as a threat to the American military/industrial complex?

Maybe I should grow a beard...

O_o

blog/portfolio

Comment

...you're not exporting...the company you bought from is. The company I work for is responsible for this paperwork..not our customers.

So weird...
      “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.”
      -Louisa May Alcott

Comment

I cancelled the order and found another company that said that they didn't do this.

Hey, maybe I AM on some kind of subversives list! Hmm...

Seriously, I was just doing 'research' about the military uses of naked breasts...

Comment

that's crazy (the form, not your research Broacher). wait....
          Reformed Stepford Bubble Popper, The Bottom Three (Charter Member), Spankin' a Pita™

Chaos in the midst of chaos isn't funny, but chaos in the midst of order is.—Steve Martin
          The way you get a better world is, you don't put up with substandard anything.—Joe Strummer
          I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.'—Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Originally posted by Broacher View Post
            I cancelled the order and found another company that said that they didn't do this.

Hey, maybe I AM on some kind of subversives list! Hmm...

Seriously, I was just doing 'research' about the military uses of naked breasts...
            Sounds like your work is so top secret you have to close the browser really quick whenever someone walks by.

Comment

Homeland Security probably read a few of your posts here at GDF.
              This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
              "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

If you stop to think about the fact that most countries in the world do not have up to date computers or software, the letter does make a certain amount of sence. They think that you are upgrading it to sell it. Most people selling older equipment do so to other countries. Personally, I wouldn't have worried about it...but....as long as you found what you wanted elsewhere...it should be all good.
                "Go ahead, make your logos in PS. We charge extra money to redraw your logo into vector art so it can be printed on promotional product. Cha CHING! " - CCericola

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                Working...
                X