Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• jr72023
    Reply to My logo attempt (be brutally honest)
    jr72023
    It really looks good. As noted, I am not an artist. The rest of the posters are the pros.

Just curious if a ? in the lower bubble "clue" might not be a little more poignant? Even...
    Today, 01:39 AM
  • Derailed
    Reply to I am SO confused about vehicle wrap design?
    Derailed
    I work for a wrap company. We do almost everything in Illustrator. They send me the templates of the vehicles, although sometimes I don't have to match everything up exactly. Would you be designing...
    Today, 12:16 AM
  • kemingMatters
    Reply to Adobe Illustrator... Object won't select!
    kemingMatters
    Drop shadow is a raster effect, you'll have to look in the appearance palette to remove the effect
    Yesterday, 11:02 PM
  • Pavlo
    Reply to My logo attempt (be brutally honest)
    Pavlo
    I really like the latest version and the concept of the e's facing / speaking with each other. The look and feel is vastly improved and I get an immediate sense of what you are trying to say about the...
    Yesterday, 10:44 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Deaf graphic designers
    KitchWitch
    Hi Signing Toys and welcome to GDF.

If you are looking to hire a deaf graphic designer, please post in the classified section and be sure to include an email address so people can contact...
    Yesterday, 10:26 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Cereal Box Toy?

I was chowin' down on some Cinnamon Toast Crunch and reading the box like a 5 year old this morning when I noticed that there was a code inside for a free song.

Excitedly I typed in the website slowly to ensure I was not making any mistakes.

www.nick.com/getrocking

Question Time!
    1) What is your favorite cereal box toy of all time?
    2) I still haven't picked out my free song ... which one should I get?
    Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
    http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

I had this little plastic guy that glowed in the dark. He had hinged joints and was holding a bar that was supposed to be a trapeze swing. You twisted the bar and he did all sorts of crazy stuff. I had that thing for 20 years. It was awesome.
    I feel like a city kid who has stumbled into a town

Comment

Recently the best toy I've gotten from a box if cereal was a spoon that changed colors. MY favorite toy as a kid was a small helicopter that had a zip tie thing that when you pulled it, the helicopter flew.
      "I used to wonder what friendship could be, Until you all shared its magic with me." - Jesus Christ

Comment

Anybody remember when they used to put actual cardboard records on the back of cereal boxes? I think it was Super Sugar Crisp and the records were the Archies and other such bubblegum acts.

Comment

Originally posted by Kool View Post
          Anybody remember when they used to put actual cardboard records on the back of cereal boxes? I think it was Super Sugar Crisp and the records were the Archies and other such bubblegum acts.
          I have vague memories of getting a really cheesey single out of a cereal box. It was made out of plastic and probably no thicker than the cereal box itself. Didn't work well at all. It may have been square too
          I feel like a city kid who has stumbled into a town

Comment

I remember these in cracker jacks boxes, not sure about cereal - but tattoos. Loved the temporary tattoos. My parents totally should have seen what was coming from that alone.
            Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

My favorite was always the submarines that they had. You put baking soda in and it would dive until the baking soda went away.

Yes, I do remember the records...Oh...they were lame, as I remember and did not play well at all.
              "Go ahead, make your logos in PS. We charge extra money to redraw your logo into vector art so it can be printed on promotional product. Cha CHING! " - CCericola

Comment

One of the better ones I can think of was a Tony the Tiger diving toy. You could put him in an old 2-liter pop bottle and fill it with water. When you squeezed the sides, Tony would sink. Seems sort of lame now that I think about it, but it was a good science lesson.

Somewhere in my old baseball card collection I've got a Ken Griffey, Jr. card and a couple other players that were cut from the back of some lame cereal like Grape Nuts Flakes. I hope they've appreciated in value.

Comment

I remember getting a little Transformers knock-off toy that I thought was really great at the time. I didn't know any of them still gave anything out. All the cereal I've had for years just has lame puzzles on the side, or propaganda on how exercise/recycling is really fun and good for you.

Comment

Originally posted by darkwolf29a View Post
                    My favorite was always the submarines that they had. You put baking soda in and it would dive until the baking soda went away.
                    Those were a great example of how to get interesting behavior from a simple device. Has to be baking powder, though, which contains soda (alkaline) plus an acid (tartaric, for instance) to activate it. Soda on its own will just make the water feel slippery. :-}

My favorite cereal toy would have to be the working nuclear science set with real cloud chamber from Sugar Saturated Atom-Os (just add a chunk of dry ice and some isopropanol for hours of subatomic fun). Ah, being a young kit in the late 1950s/early 1960s! *reminisces* Hm... now that I think, it didn't come in the box but required sending in boxtops. And since I can't remember which brand it was I made up the name of the cereal, but y'all could probably tell.

Comment

You should totally get "Freak the freak out".
                      “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

Comment

I remember those! I had a whole collection at one time.
                        “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

Comment

There were mini hockey sticks with all the Canadian teams on them in one line of cereal that had Wayne Gretzky on the front (I think it was called Team. Best cereal ever that they don't make anymore). I remember trying to get all of the teams. Including ones like the Quebec Nordiques and Winnipeg Jets (original logo).

There used to be a fight at our house as there was 3 of us kids and my father who always wanted the toys or to be the first to find the toy. I remember watching my little brother at like 7 pick up the box of Cheerios and dump them on the table just to find the toy.

Good memories. love it.
                          I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

Remember dry transfer rub-down pictures? Sometimes you got lettering. Those were cool.

My favourite cereal 'feature' campaign didn't include a toy -- but rather a rather cheap and cheesy trick: the back of the box had a large character face printed on it with a cutting outline, and as the good Captain Crunch said in the accompanying TV commercials: "You can fool your friends! If... they're not very smart."

I love that line. And you would never get away with it today.

Comment

We got a Jackson 5 record on the back of a box of Alpha Bits.

Overall, my parents wouldn't buy the Cap'n Crunch or many other of the fun sugary cereals.
                              That box of Alpha Bits was a a very rare occasion--I think we got Apple Jacks once or twice, King Vitamin once and for some reason we got Honeycomb several times (I think it was cheap or something).

We once got Super Sugar Crisp and then got a bazzilion ants.

Most of the time we had Raisin Bran, Rice Krispies, Wheaties and Corn Flakes--there was a period of a couple years where we were on the super cheap no-name brand of puffed rice and puffed wheat.

I used to crave that fun kids cereal and felt deprived that we almost never had it. My first week of college I was so happy to get Froot Loops, Apple Jacks and Cap'n Crunch, but the excitement kind of wore off quickly--that stuff is really nasty.
                              Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X