X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hank_scorpio View Post
    ...Times were simpler then, I also wore an onion to my belt. Which was the style at the time. Now, to make phone call cost a shilling, and in those days, shillings had pictures of bulls on 'em. Gimme twenty shillings for a pound, you'd say. Now where was I... oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
    You are Grandpa Simpson! (AICMFP)
    Want to know what a true friend is? One who walks in when the world walks out.

Comment

Nice. Minority Report here we come.
      The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

I don't really even like the annoyance of carrying a cell phone around with me, but I would totally reject the option of being tethered to Google as I walked down the street or drove in my car.

It's nice being able to look up an address or compare prices in a store or something like that when I choose, but this Glass thing is just sort of creepy (as was the voiceover guy, the guy he met for lunch and his girlfriend). For that matter, Google itself is starting to seem a little creepy.

Anything heading down the path of having a neural implant from Sergey Brin and Larry Page tapping directly into my life in exchange for information is more than I'm willing to put up with.

Comment

You and nobody else <b>. I think this new generation is just aching for tech that would let them have what the want at the drop of an eyelash, no matter what the cost in privacy or personal boundaries.

Comment

zombie world here we come

Comment

I am beginning to think that the "Zombie Apocalypse" is not going to be Zombies in the literal sense... but more just people so "Zombied out" from technology, and being lazy. Either way it is our "brains" that will be hunted, just instead of by Zombies, it will be Google...

I'm calling it now! Zombie Apocalypse is really technology eating our brainsssssss....
              Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing.
              - Randy K. Milholland

Comment

too true to be funny Ang

Comment

I dunno Ang....The walking dead have been among us for many years. It's just they'll be wearing glasses now.

For a generation so wired up it's disconcerting to find a lot of them so ill-informed about the world around them and believing things they read on the internet.

There's a phenomenon out there that I call Blog-Eat-Blog where some one blogger comes up with some crazy theory, two or three blogs pick it up, the next wave of 4 or 5 blogs start touting it as fact and pretty soon it's all over the internet as fact. Case in point? Google Pepsi and fetus... (be sure to read the snopes site FIRST though).

Comment

Originally posted by BJMRamage View Post
                    Google sends out emails and/or sells even more of your Data...so, we see you passed by a Starbucks to go to Dunkin Donuts instead, Starbucks is offering a 50% discount, say YES if you want the coupon.
                    This is the sort of thing that really concerns me.

Google has the entire Internet on file and many billions of dollars to spend sorting, cross-referencing and mining that information looking for patterns and relationships.

They keep track of our locations via everything from smartphone triangulation to IP addresses we've used while checking our Gmail accounts. Google Street View has photos of where we live. Google Earth has photos of our backyards. When we're logged onto a Google service while browsing the Internet, Google tracks and records our searches and our visits to websites.

Google+ seems to me to be, not so much a competitor to Facebook as it is, Google's way of collecting more information and filling in the missing details of what it doesn't already know about us. For those of us who use Google Docs, Google has a record of whatever we've put there from our business records to our school homework.

Most websites use Google Analytics, which enables Google to collect extremely detailed information about these website's traffic patterns. Google Wallet and any purchases made through Google result in Google having access to some of our financial data.

I could go on, but it seems that the sole motivation behind Google's various services is the collection of information about nearly everything for the purposes of sorting through it looking for innovative ways to use that information to make money. And now, with their new privacy policy, their services share and coordinate the information that the individual Google services collect.

I don't so much mind Google collecting information and using the patterns contained within that information as a means to identify ways of making money especially when it results in more and better free services for us. What frightens me, I think, is any one company knowing more about me and my behavior than I likely know myself. Multiply this by everyone in the world who uses Google's various information collecting services, and there's potential for a significant problem, despite Google's company motto of "Don't be evil."

Comment

Originally posted by infinity View Post
                      As cool as these would be to have, I must say it would add a whole new sense of lazy to people. I mean getting directions for an alternate walking route detour, cool, but to ask it where the music section is in a bookstore? Really? what happened to just asking an associate?
                      The associate grilled me for having a problem finding the section whereas Google was very accommodating and helpful. True story.
                      In life there are a lot of grey areas; not in the conception phase of logo design.

When a person asks you to do work for nothing in return, they are saying to your face, "You're worthless but useful to me."

Shall is a direct command whereas the verb will is a prophecy of the future.

http://www.behance.net/tmt

Comment

Originally posted by <b> View Post
                        Multiply this by everyone in the world who uses Google's various information collecting services, and there's potential for a significant problem, despite Google's company motto of "Don't be evil."
                        I was more fearful when man learned nuclear science. That right there is worst/greater than any form of data mining that can occur; like any of the Pandora's boxes we keep opening.
                        Last edited by TomMonTom; 04-08-2012, 08:39 PM.
                        In life there are a lot of grey areas; not in the conception phase of logo design.

When a person asks you to do work for nothing in return, they are saying to your face, "You're worthless but useful to me."

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                          I dunno Ang....The walking dead have been among us for many years. It's just they'll be wearing glasses now.

For a generation so wired up it's disconcerting to find a lot of them so ill-informed about the world around them and believing things they read on the internet.

There's a phenomenon out there that I call Blog-Eat-Blog where some one blogger comes up with some crazy theory, two or three blogs pick it up, the next wave of 4 or 5 blogs start touting it as fact and pretty soon it's all over the internet as fact. Case in point? Google Pepsi and fetus... (be sure to read the snopes site FIRST though).
                          This is why I only read respected peer-reviewed journals. Everything else is just to get a laugh out once in a while.

Comment

It's great though reading articles from the early days of the automobile how going over 30 mph would lead to severe health problems or a cause of destruction for every building out there. Too often we toss something aside out of fear or predisposed prejudice as if one is lazy for wearing something that gives rise to efficiency and hence more productivity. I mean I guess they make tin-foiled hats for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                              Case in point? Google Pepsi and fetus... (be sure to read the snopes site FIRST though).
                              =>_<= Oh ghawds -- I had to lock a thread on that at another forum. Even under the relaxed rules of a special "politics, religion, and conspiracies" sub-forum it spiraled out of control.

Comment

I don't think we're too far off having our very movements tracked and recorded as it is. It's the next logical step towards a human/computer hybrid.

It will eventually happen.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                                Working...
                                X