Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• garricks
    Comment on Are you able to read the text?
    garricks
    That's exactly the method we use to prepare our slides, like a billboard.
    Yesterday, 11:49 PM
  • BearClawz
    Lion Vector Logo
    BearClawz
    Logo created for a Twitch.tv streamer who streams Halo. Below are the logo, and the offline banner he'll be using soon. Criticize to your fullest extent

Yesterday, 11:40 PM
  • wikster63
    Creating an Image for a car sticker
    wikster63
    Hello Ladies and Gents,

I've got a quandary on my hands and was hoping someone could shine some light on this for me. Attached is an image of a car, please see it for this question. My client...
    Yesterday, 10:27 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Retail vs Contract Pricing
    <b>
    Are you the designer, the printer, the merchant or all of them? A designer doesn't typically base fees on the number that will be printed. A printer, on the other hand, does do that. Even when a designer...
    Yesterday, 10:23 PM
  • cdgc
    Retail vs Contract Pricing
    cdgc
    Looking for some input on this matter.

Many years ago we published a map for railroad enthusiasts that was 1/1 black and folded several times into 3.5" by 9". Nothing all that...
    Yesterday, 09:28 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rachel B View Post
    N don't go to the Bronx either.

Huh?

There is more to the Bronx than just the Zoo and the "bad neighborhoods"

IMHO You get MUCH better Italian food in the Arthur Ave area (Belmont) than you ever would in Little Italy (Manhattan)

Then there is the home of the greatest Baseball team of all time.

The NY Botanical Gardens is awesome.
    City Island is fun too (though it's a bit out of the way for a day trip)

Wave Hill is gorgeous.

There is more open parkland in the Bronx than any other borough. Drive through Pelham bay park and try to convince yourself you are in NYC.

I would recommend Coney Island. See if you can't catch a baseball game--The minor league teams will be cheaper: Staten Island Yankees or the Brooklyn Cyclones.

See if you can't arrange your schedule so you are in NYC for the 4th of July. Hit Coney Island for the Hot dog eating contest, then head to the west side of Manhattan for fireworks.

If in nyc in June see if you are around for June 23--catch the Mermaid Parade

For art, the major museums are nice enough, but the galleries and arts centers have more contemporary things. PS1 (now a part of MoMA) in Long Island city, Queens is a VERY short subway ride from manhattan plus it puts you closer to where the real art scene is in the city (it left Manhattan decades ago).
    Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

Originally posted by PanToshi View Post
      Rach, when was the last time you were in NYC? The "old" days of begin scared of going to up Harlem are... well, old.

Saigon Grill is a chain, and in recent years they have been fined/jailed for not being very nice employers.

I would pick another place to eat. There are loads of restaurants with better food, and better business practices.
      Pan it's been 2 years and I was taking care of my mom at that time so barely went out... so guess I'm thoroughly out of touch. I was wondering about Saigon grill - so they turned it into a chain?
      But if you don't have street smarts (which a lot of Europeans don't cause there isn't crime like in the states) I would be really careful about what neighborhood I walk in. How far north can you go now?

Comment

Originally posted by fredrich View Post
        My bad for not specifying that it is the Canadian Vancouver. I was not aware of there being an American city with the exact same name in the same area.
        there isn't. just that you wrote you were visiting US cities.

Comment

Fredrich, the most remarkable places in the U.S. (and Canada) lie in between the cities.

Vancouver is a beautiful city next to the water and is surrounded by green mountains, but you're from Norway — you've already seen that sort of thing. The Museum of Anthropology at the University of British Columbia is fascinating if you're interested in learning about the indigenous Native American tribes that live near there — the Kwakiutls and Tlingits (totem pole builders). But in keeping with my in between the cities statement, the best part of Vancouver is that it's a gateway to Vancouver Island, Victoria and the many islands and glaciers along the coast between there and Alaska. But then again, it's much like Norway.

Seattle is also a beautiful city surrounded by water. The downtown area is interesting, as is the monorail ride between there and the old World's Fair Park (Seattle Center, Space Needle). Walking down to Pike Place Market on the waterfront is also worth doing. Other than that, hmmm, let's see, I guess you could drive across Lake Washington over to Redmond and visit Microsoft, but that would be stupid. Outside Seattle is Olympic National Park and Mount Rainier (a large volcano that will someday erupt and quiet possibly destroy one of the West Coast's largest urban areas).

Portland, Oregon is a nice place to live. I have family there (and across the river in Vancouver, Washington), but honestly, there's very little in Portland to see or do. My in-laws always recommend heading to Powell's Book Store. It's a big, interesting book store, but really, it's just a book store and that's about it. A ways outside the city, Mount St. Helens is interesting, as is Crater Lake.

San Francisco, well, look in any direction and there's something worth seeing, and the touristy things are far too numerous to mention, so I won't. Outside San Francisco, however, are places like Sonoma Valley (wineries and vineyards), Point Reyes, Big Sur (along Highway 1, down the coast). A bit further away are some of America's great treasures: Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, the redwood forests, etc.

Los Angeles might be best appreciated as the the premier example of everything wrong in America. It's got out-of-control urban sprawl and congestion, it's got pollution, it's got ethnic tension and violence, it's got crime and it's got the polar ends of poverty and ridiculous displays of wealth. I avoid Los Angeles, and I would definitely not travel all the way from Norway to visit it. The weather there, however, is quite nice. If you must go, however, there's Disneyland and the movie studios and the Getty Museum. While there, you might want to drive down to San Diego to visit Sea World, and as long as you're there, a very short drive further south will enable you to cross the border from civilization into the surreal and shocking world of Tijuana, Mexico.

Las Vegas is good for gambling and seeing freakish things that will confirm any suspicion that you might have had about America being the world's leader in the fields of bad taste and decadence. Seriously, there's nothing but that of any possible interest except gambling and seeing staged productions of various sorts. While there, just drive down the Las Vegas Strip and stop at whatever leaves you the most speechless — you can't go wrong unless you mistakenly stop at the wrong attraction and leave with a case of gonorrhea. If the Strip gets a bit much, a short respite can be had by driving over to Boulder Dam — a huge art deco dam along the Colorado River that forms Lake Mead.

Other than New York City, it sounds like you want to see the West Coast. Everyone is different, but from my perspective the best part of the West Coast lies outside the cities. Driving along the coast from Vancouver to Los Angeles or San Diego is a beautiful drive that will take you through amazing scenery, wonderful small towns and enable you to really experience that part of America. Some excursions inland just a ways will let you see some incredible National Parks built around mountainous volcanos and trees so big that they will take your breath away. And as far as Las Vegas goes, you'll be right near the doorstep to the redrock canyon country of northern Arizona and southern Utah, which has some of the most desolate, magnificent and beautiful desert country to be found anywhere on the planet (a nice contrast to Norway). Then again, maybe you mostly like big cities, and think that the Grand Canyon is just a giant hole in the ground, and that's okay too.

Comment

+1 on visiting the Grand Canyon - you have to see it to believe it, awesome, amazing, stunning.

Comment

How far north can you go now?
              All the way, Rach... all the way.

But if you don't have street smarts (which a lot of Europeans don't cause there isn't crime like in the states) I would be really careful about what neighborhood I walk in.
              Tourists wander all over NYC; our "locals" are not extra dangerous. For example, Europe has a much bigger problem with pickpockets and bag-snatching than NYC.

Did you ever venture out of the UWS, or Manhattan below 96 Street, when you visited, Rach? If you didn't, you missed out and should treat yourself to another visit soon.

Originally posted by seamas View Post
              Queens is a VERY short subway ride from manhattan plus it puts you closer to where the real art scene is in the city (it left Manhattan decades ago).
              Hear, hear.
              Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Did you ever venture out of the UWS, or Manhattan below 96 Street, when you visited, Rach? If you didn't, you missed out and should treat yourself to another visit soon.
                course I did, I grew up there.

I had German friends who mistakenly got out at 125th st on the subway and it wasn't so good for them...

but yeah, I should get back before I mouth off about NYC, changes so fast. Gonna be awhile though... don't have a place to stay there anymore

Comment

I didn't see a mention about what time of year you'll be coming over.

Vegas is going to be HOTTER than hell anytime between June and October. Just so ya know. Besides all the usual adult entertainment, you should rent a car and drive to Hoover Dam, and go visit Red Rock Canyon towards Pahrump. Death Valley is just a couple hour drive from Vegas.

San Francisco: You've listed some good things to see. Include Coit Tower, a Giants Game, Golden Gate Park, Baker Beach, SS Jerimiah O'Brien, USS Pompanito, across the bay in Alameda is the USS Hornet museum, the Marin Headlands, head down to Santa Cruz and check out the Boardwalk and the overall counterculture, Yosemite is about 3 hours away, Tahoe is about the same distance. Wanna geek out, go down to Cupertino and check out 1 Infinite Loop (Apple). There's wine country everywhere north and east of the Bay Area. Get up into St. Helena and you can find hot springs. Beware of aggressive panhandlers in SF!

Vancouver, just grab the ferry and head to Victoria.

We live about an hour east of the Bay Area, and know it well. The inlaws live 50 miles from Vegas, and we know that one pretty well also.
                  Last edited by Gromit801; 05-05-2012, 06:41 PM.
                  "I love deadlines. I love the 'whooshing' sound they make when they go by." - Doug Adams
                  LinkedIn

Comment

course I did, I grew up there.
                    Sorry, didn't realize. Some old-timers are documenting the changes. Have you seen this or this or this? I am sure you will recognize some of the (lost) old places...

I had German friends who mistakenly got out at 125th st on the subway and it wasn't so good for them...
                    An organization I am affiliated with, hosted 20 German Uni students a few weeks ago, from the Ruhr Valley. They trekked all over on their own with no issue. Bushwick, BedSty, Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Red Hook, LIC, Maspeth, Flushing, Manhattan, Harlem, the Bronx, Washington Heights, Inwood, and a smidgen of Staten Island. They walked and subway-ed; taxi's being out of reach for these cash-strapped college students.

but yeah, I should get back before I mouth off about NYC, changes so fast. Gonna be awhile though... don't have a place to stay there anymore
                    Best hurry, things are changing fast. Let's put it this way, the Bowery is now where it costs a million bucks for an apartment.
                    Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Gromit801 View Post
                      ...drive to Hoover Dam...
                      Ha! I just realized that I said head on over to "Boulder Dam" in my post. How long's it been since it was called Boulder Dam? Some 60 or 70 years, maybe?

Comment

there isn't.
                        There isn't? What happened? Have they somehow disassembled or removed Vancouver, Washington? I'd have expected myself to notice a thing like that.

Comment

There's a Vancouver Washington? Holy crap what did they teach me in high school?

Comment

There's a Vancouver Washington? Holy crap what did they teach me in high school?
                            As Mt. St. Helens exploded in 1980, the last recorded words of geologist David Johnston were "Vancouver! Vancouver! This is it!" He wasn't talking to Canada.
                            "I love deadlines. I love the 'whooshing' sound they make when they go by." - Doug Adams
                            LinkedIn

Comment

Hi Fredrich— Welcome to The U.S.A. You have picked out some great cities to visit.
                              Although, somehow you missed Phoenix. You are bound to get some wonderful deals at some of the top resorts in Arizona during July or August. That's when we have our "116 Degrees in the Shade Festival".

If you are in midtown New York and see a strange looking guy taking photos of people crossing streets, say hello. It' s probably me.
                              http://www.paulsullivanstudio.com

Comment

Phoenix? too damn hot no matter what time of year I go there.
                                The desert is a nice change though (as long as I can leave it after a week or so) and a thunderstorm can be a real thing of wonder over the Camelback.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                                Working...
                                X