Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• DanCMU
    Reply to [ Logo Critique ] Period or not at the end of the tagline?
    DanCMU
    The period, to me, makes it more of an assertion rather than a suggestion. I know that's not what that's used for (technically speaking) but it makes it pack a little more punch.

I vote to...
    Today, 11:03 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Dissertation topic
    PrintDriver
    What's a selfie?
    Just kidding.
    Narcissistic for the most part, more fleeting than a hashtag in general, and somehow people think they can make social statements with them. Society has become...
    Today, 10:48 AM
  • <b>
    Reply to How to choose a scanner?
    <b>
    I agree, the Canoscan is a good scanner -- especially for the price. I've bought a couple of Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanners for work, and would do so again if they're still made. They've been very...
    Today, 03:54 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to [ Logo Critique ] Period or not at the end of the tagline?
    PanToshi
    Adding my vote for keeping it.
    Today, 03:31 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to Glad to Be Here Now!
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF Tess

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Today, 02:44 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review of Troy

Ok, since Defjoe won't do it...I'll step in this one time.

I suppose I wasn't as excited about seeing this movie, since being a bit of a history buff I usually can spot a hundred blunders that Hollywood is always making, be it storyline or the equipment used. What made this movie great was the story telling itself. There are few classic tales that can be put on screen and have the same effect which has made them timeless. Troy achieved that.

One might think that the cast of characters would indeed make this a "glamour" film. Not so. Like him or not, Brad Pitt is one of the most talented of the "younger"film stars(though he's getting up there in age) and is a versatile, character actor. His role of Achillies was perfected, the cocky, confident andsomewhat cold hearted soldier he portrayed was in my mind, a very accurate representation of the manner in which warriors of the classical and medieval era's behaved. Yet in the movie, we also see with Achillies, that despite a life devoted to war, there is still room for respect, honour and even love. Aspects that in the movie, gave Achillies a very high degree of depth and believability.

Eric Bana (The Hulk, Black Hawk Down) was Hector, the Hero and General of Troy. A great warrior like Achillies, though also a very devoted husband and family man. I found myself emphatic towards Hector more so than perhaps Achillies, for though the two were warriors, they represented, in my mind, two seperate ethos regarding warfare. Hector was almost the reluctant warrior, prefering to stay home and "watch his boy grow tall". It was these sentiments though, which made him a great character, for he was able to put his own life's desires and wants next to the defence of his country and home. He was a true patriot and what some would say is the definition of a good,honourable man.

Prince Paris, brother to Hector was played by Orlando Bloom. Yeah, he's a bit of a pretty boy, but he nailed this part.Fallingin love with the Spartan bride Helen, Paris's poor judgement basically ignites the entire war, though going to war for love, is better than going to war for money, power or land. Or so hisfather, theKing stated. At first, Paris isthe somewhat wimpy, spoiledyounger brother of Hector, relying on him for protection. Yet as with Achillies, we find Paris changes throughout the movie, living up to his heritage as a trojan. Very well done.

Other characters of note were Odysseus, played by Sean Bean (Sharpe's Rangers, Boromir in Lord of the Rings, Equilibrium), King Priam (Peter O'toole...bad teeth...not sure if they were real or fake!) King Agamemnon (Brian Cox...Uncle Arguile in Braveheart, the bad guy in X-Men 2), Brandon Gleeson (Hemish from Braveheart), and Dianne Kruger as Helen. This girl is god damn hot.

Anyway, there was a fair bit of nudity, though more in favour of you ladies, as Brad Pitt, Eric Bana and Orlando Bloom weren't shy to show their "nekid" upper bodies...indeed there is even a shot of brad's buttocks from a profile angle.

What I think is unniversally appealing about this movie, is that like the Illiad, it doesn't rely one element to carry the story. Not the start studded cast, special affects, love story, battle scenes, or any of that. Rather, it combines them all in a flawless masterpiece which can only be described as a true epic. The costuming, dialogue and character development was all exceptional. The attention to detail was awesome. Even the fighting style of both armies was original. Little written evidence survives from this time, as the greeks didnt' begin to record history on paper until about 800 BC, 250 or so years after the battle of troy. As such, there is little actual evidence to go on. Bearing that in mind, I feel this is a great representation of one of themost famoushistorical battles ever fought in man's history.

For a three hour movie, the time flew by. At no point was I thinking when is this going to end, for the story and the characters had such a gripping pull. I would recommend this movie to anyone, in fact, as the Odyssey and Illiad are required reading in school (used to be anyway), this flick would be a great supplement to get the feel of these dynamic historical figures.

Memorable quotes that Magnus liked:

Hector:No son of Troy will ever submit to a foreign ruler!
    Agamemnon: Then every son of Troy shall die.

Messenger Boy: I'd be too afraid to fight him!
    Achillies: That is why no one will remember you.

Magnus says two thumbs up.

- There is a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path.

Post Edited (Magnus) : 5/17/2004 4:29:24 PM GMT

one thing ol buff o history....i thought they put the coins in the mouth of the dead to pay the river guide to get the dead across the river styx...they kept putting the coins on their eyes

and I thought Achillies drug hector's body into bits because I dont remember Hector's father getting his body back.....

I took a couple years of Latin in highschool so my mind is rusty a bit

and the illad came after the battle of troy right?

i thought the battle scenes (not the individual fighting) was better in Braveheart

JUST LAUNCHED - www.hirethisdesigner.com - check it out

Comment

It's possible Perm..my early greek history is terrible. I don't know much until about 600 BC or so, when the Phalanx started to be used. But you're probably right...those idiosyncracies were probably done to the advantage of this version of the story. I need to read the Illiad and Odyssey again.

I'm also not sure about the chronology of the entire era...it is possible that Odysseus then went on his journey after the battle of Troy...but i'm not sure.

- There is a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path.

Comment

LOL @ the 2 thumbs up! I can't wait to see this Mag! Great review!

Who says doodling isn't constructive?!
        I blog, you blog, we all blog!

Comment

hmm...perhaps i will go see it then this week......to be honest I didn't really want to see it...but now i will!

I wanna be like Case when I grow up! *I shop...therefore I am*

Comment

Magnus,

You didn't want to do this review cause you didn't think you could do a good job. I say you did GREAT! Especially with you prior knowledge of the topic. Very good my friend.

I will try to be back next week... Shrek 2 comes out Wednesday. Universal Studios is having a special offer at the theme park. Breakfast, ride the shrek 4-D ride (which I have yet to do) and see the movie for $15... GREAt deal.

also this Friday i'm going to a special preview for the New Mummy rollercoaster at Universal. Maybe I'll review both those ride for you as well as a few movies next week.

'I will become the most powerful Jedi ever!'
            "Even when I'm not at 100%, I'm still 110% better then anyone else!"

Check out my indie comic books at http://www.crycomic.com and http://www.assassinsguild.net/

Comment

JOEEEEE!!! I wanna go see Shrek 2 with you guys..that's AWESOME!! It's my friggin birthday movie this year. Every year something good comes out right before or after my b-day and this is it this year! I can't wait! $15...thats a great deal! I mean hell you pay $8 atleast for the movie itself now anyways!! Have fun Wednesday!!

Oh and I agree...Magnus I think you did a great review for this movie! We give you 2 thumbs up..LOL ;o)

Who says doodling isn't constructive?!
              I blog, you blog, we all blog!

Comment

4-D???????? WTF!!! I have never heard of 4-D. Explain please. Hey btw......Joe- since you live in Fla...how far is the drive do you think to Port Canaveral from Atl.? We'll be stopping in Orlando......maybe.....dunno.....at least driving through it.....whats teh quickets way? I'm not good on car trips....

Comment

Yea.. it is a good deal. Only for pass holders... sorry.. LOSERS! not 100% positive if we are going this weekend though. It's early... like at 7:30 and your lucky to get me up by 10 on a weekend. We'll see.

4-D is 3-D PLUS some extra elements.. like the seats moving.. maybe some stuff sprayed on you. that short of idea. disney has one based on the Muppets.. it's alot of fun.

Cape Canaveral is like 30-45 minutes from me. but I'm inland. you would come straight down 95 past Daytona... it's after that. signs everywhere. you can't miss the Cruise ships either (you have to drive a little bit off of 95 to get there, toward the coast)... HUGE.

for you to come to Orlando.. your going the LONG way there... it's out of your way.

Check out my indie comic books at http://www.crycomic.com and http://www.assassinsguild.net/

Comment

The long way eh? I will DEFINITLEY let him know that. The shorter time i have to be in a car, the happier i will be.

Comment

but if you want to swing by we can all get together.

if your in the area let me know.

Comment

Yep, that movie kicked ass. The Achilles/Hector battle was awesome

C:\DOS
                        C:\DOS\RUN
                        RUN DOS RUN
                        ProudPenguin
                        P r o d u c t i o n s

Comment

WTH Ryan where have you been? Weve been looking for you man.

Comment

great review Magnus - thanks - makes me want to go see it also

If it wasn't for the last minute nothing would ever get done.
                            (When I grow up I want to be just like Keyare! He does excellent work - even when he's trying to not to.)

Comment

4-D is a good ride....funny beginning in the 'waiting room'

I like the PhilharMagic ride in Magic kindom.....

JUST LAUNCHED - www.hirethisdesigner.com - check it out

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X