Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Career help!! What do your other halves do (job wise)?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career help!! What do your other halves do (job wise)?

So my partner has been unhappy in his work pretty much since we met, a couple of years ago he got a new job but it's not much better than the old one, and I can tell he isn't happy.

The thing is he is a bit shy and reluctant to change, because he knows what he does and he's comfortable - unhappy, but comfortable!

He's been a delivery driver for most of his working life; I'm trying to get him to take a course of some kind and expand his CV. He has talked about starting his own delivery company but the practicalities/finances aren't great; he also talked a lot about getting his HGV licence when we first met but again this is very expensive and actually he hasn't talked about it for years. I think he's had enough of driving altogether. He isn't incredibly social though so he also doesn't want to be cooped up in an office or on a shop floor for example.

The main problem is that he has no idea what he wants to do. I've exhausted all my ideas, so thought I would ask you all what your other halves do, and maybe something weird or wonderful might pop up that he would take a chance on!

Thanks!

FB

PS
    Merry Christmas! =)

My husband works his main job as a welder. He has always been able to weld, but couldn't get a decent job until we sent him back to school for multiple certifications. On the side he builds motorcycles, makes weapons (knives, daggers, swords, etc.), makes armor, is a blacksmith and a sometimes mechanic.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

I don't think anything you suggest to your husband is going to make him decide he wants to do it. If he wants change he'll have to do the leg work do achieve it. When he wants change bad enough he'll start making changes. I understand that you want your spouse to be happy but this is something he'll have to do on his own. By pushing him you are inserting stress into his sanctuary, home (that includes your relationship), and you will inevitably frustrate yourself (putting more stress on your relationship). Just a guy's perspective.
      Design is not decoration.

Comment

Don't try and make people change, inspire them to change themselves.

Comment

First, a lot of people never find their "dream job" or "destiny" or whatever you want to call it and THAT'S OK. It's an American invention that we all have to find our "true calling" or some other similar BS. I think it's part of the reason why so many people are depressed in our culture.

Second, keming is right, your husband is the only one who can change himself. I've been in a similar situation to yours where my husband was miserable at work for years. What you can do is help him once he decides what to do. For example, my husband wasn't getting interviews with the company he wanted. So, since I'm good at writing resumes, I finally convinced him to let me rewrite it and the cover letter too (well, most of it, he helped too of course). That finally got him the interview he needed and which led to the job and he's finally so much happier.

For the record, my husband is a tool owner for a nano technology lab. His job is to show the PhDs how to operate the equipment so they can try their theories. My husband never finished college, so he's been very fortunate to have a good job that challenges him without a college degree. (He's the kind of person that has the entire periodic table memorized, but he can't budget his finances or make long term plans. I only mention this to explain why he never finished). I don't necessarily recommend that course of action, it's taken him a couple decades to get to where he is, but I'm glad he's finally found a job he feels good about.

Comment

Does He have any hobbies or other interest that could be turned into a profession? Or anything he wishes he could do ? Maybe encourage him to take some classes in another field like at first just one per term don't think it all has to be done right now. But learning can be fun. And that could give him the incentive to find something new that he likes to do.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• mixlikes
              Reply to How they did the drawings like this?
              mixlikes
              For perfect drawing, you need to learn photoshop so that you can give a nice texture to an image. There are lots of tools to edit an image that can be used for many purposes....
              Today, 02:27 AM
            • hank_scorpio
              Reply to I apparently "need" to get a new laptop.
              hank_scorpio
              Don't have the new mac book pro.

What type of software are you using? Is it specific for the Mac? What type of work are you doing?

Do you really need a Mac? You can put together...
              Today, 12:59 AM
            • Magical Unicorn
              I apparently "need" to get a new laptop.
              Magical Unicorn
              The laptop I'm writing this post on is *calculating in head* going on 7 years old. It's a well loved 13" white MacBook from when I started high school in 2010. I've vehemently stated that I don't...
              Yesterday, 11:38 PM
            • B
              Reply to Please review my -responsive design- website
              B
              As for content, an obvious addition would be the inclusion of several good before-and-after samples of audio that you've cleaned up.
              Yesterday, 06:54 PM
            • RMo
              Reply to Please review my -responsive design- website
              RMo
              Hey,

some quick things:
              • your page is just a tiny bit too wide. There is a scrollbar at the bottom. That shouldn't be there
              • add a favicon
              • there is a massive amount of space after loading
              Yesterday, 03:18 PM
            GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X