Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recipes -- for those designers that love to eat too!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recipes -- for those designers that love to eat too!

idecided to start a new thread (while i had the time) that featured recipes for those of us who love to eat, and let's face it, we love to eat almost as much as we love sex. almost ... this thread is also for benjo.

anyway, to kick it off i'd like to share one of my favorite recipes that has left many a house guest most content ... tortilla soup. i love this soup, it is mild yet pleasing to palate. it serves best as an appetizer, but you can make it a full meal with the addition of chicken, zucchini, and squash. so here it is:

Tortilla Soup with Pasilla Chile, Fresh Cheese and Avocado
    Serves 6 as a first course, 4 as a light main dish

Ingredients:
    6 corn tortillas
    Vegetable oil to a depth of 1/2 inch for frying
    4 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
    1 small white onion, sliced
    2 dried pasilla (or 1 dried ancho) chiles, stemmed, seeded and torn into several flat pieces
    One 15-ounce can good-quality whole tomatoes in juice, drained or 12 ounces (2 medium-small round) ripe tomatoes, cored and roughly chopped
    6 cups good chicken broth
    1 large sprig fresh epazote if you have it
    6 ounces Mexican queso fresco or other crumbly fresh cheese*
    1 large ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    1 large lime, cut into wedges

1. FRYING THE TORTILLAS. Cut the tortillas in half, then into 1/4-inch strips. In a medium-large (4-quart) saucepan, heat the 1/2 inch of oil over medium to 350 degrees F. (Using a thermometer is most accurate, but there are other reliable clues: the oil releases that "hot oil" aroma and its surface begins shimmering. Without a thermometer, test the edge of a tortilla strip to insure that it sizzles vigorously. Remember smoking oil is dangerously overheated and will give the tortilla strips a bad taste.) Add half the tortilla strips. Stir around in the oil nearly constantly until they are golden-brown and crispy. With the slotted spoon, scoop them out and drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.

2. OTHER PRELIMINARIES. Pour off all but a thin coating of hot oil in the saucepan and return to the heat. Add the garlic and onion to the oil and cook, stirring regularly, until golden, about 7 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to scoop out the garlic and onion, pressing them against the side of the pan to leave behind as much oil as possible. Transfer garlic and onion to a blender or food processor. Add the chile pieces to the hot pan. Turn quickly as they fry, toast and release a delicious aroma - about 30 seconds in all. Too much frying/toasting will make them bitter. Remove and drain on paper towels. Set the pan aside.

3. THE BROTH. Add the tomatoes to the blender containing the garlic and onion, and process to a smooth puree. (If using fresh tomatoes, strain the puree to get rid of the pieces of tomato skin.) Set the saucepan over medium-high heat. When hot, add the puree and stir nearly constantly until it has thickened to the consistency of tomato paste, about 10 minutes. Add the broth and epazote, bring to a boil, then partially cover and gently simmer over medium to medium-low heat for 30 minutes. Taste and season with salt, usually 1/2 teaspoon depending on the saltiness of your broth.

4. SERVING THE SOUP. When you're ready to serve, divide the cheese and avocado among the soup bowls. Ladle a portion of the broth into each bowl, top with a portion of the tortilla strips and crumble on a little toasted chile. Carry these satisfying bowls of soup to the table and offer your guests wedges of lime to squeeze in to their liking.

WORKING AHEAD: Steps 2 and 3 can be completed several days ahead (which means you'll have the soup virtually ready to serve). Store the soup in the refrigerator, covered. The tortilla strips (Step I) will begin to taste stale if they’re not served the day fried.

Oops, forgot to put the credits:
    From the book,Mexico One Plate At A Time by Rick Bayless. More great recipes in the book, highly recommend purchasing it.

Instead of focusing on what you won’t be about, decide what you will be about and make that good thing the central aim of your life. -- Pieter Van Waarde

Post Edited (3howards) : 8/11/2004 1:12:49 PM GMT
    Short Attention Gamer | UFClounge

martha stewart?

:mushy sushy in coconut oil. yum yum:
    i need wii friends =)
    5289 3036 7758 7104

Comment

great idea 3h!
      recipe looks good too

I'm not a real graphic designer, but I do play one on tv

Comment

What a great idea! Here's a recipe from my "light cooking" cook book that everyone seems to enjoy:

Chicken Noodle Roll-Ups
        Makes 9 servings (each rollup = 1 serving)

Ingredients:
        9 uncooked lasagna noodles (about 9 ounces)
        8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into chunks
        2 cups finely chopped broccoli
        2 cups 1% lowfat cottage cheese
        1 egg
        Nonstick cooking spray
        2 teaspoons snipped fresh chives
        1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
        1/4 tsp black pepper
        1 tablespoon reduced-fat margarine
        2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
        1 cup 1/3-less-sodium chicken broth
        1/2 cup fat free (skim) milk
        1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
        1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped

1. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions, omitting salt. Drain and rinse well under cold water. Place in a single layer on a sheet of aluminum foil.

2. Preheat over to 375 degrees. Place chicken in food processor or blender and process until finely chopped. Spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat. Add chicken; cook 4 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in broccoli; cook until broccoli is crisp-tender (about 3 minutes). Cool.

3. Combine cottage cheese, egg, chives, nutmeg, and black pepper. Stir in chicken mixture. Spread a generous 1/3 cup filling over each lasagna noodle. Roll up noodles starting at short end. Place filled rolls, seam side down, in a 10 x 8 inch baking dish; set aside.

4. Melt margarine in a small saucepan. Stir in flour; cook 1 minute. Whisk in chicken broth, milk and mustard. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Pour sauce over filled rolls, sprinkle with tomato. Cover dish with foil. Bake 30 - 35 minutes or until filling is set. (Note: I usually make twice as much sauce because it keeps the rollups moist and gives them more flavor.)

Nutrients Per Serving:

Calories-179 Cals from fat- 22% Protein - 18g
        Carbs - 17g Total fat - 4gSodium - 291 mg
        Fiber - 2g Saturated fat - 1g Cholesterol - 46mg

Dietary Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 Lean Meat
        "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

i think i'll attempt to do that chicky roll. i'm drooling.

:mushy sushy in coconut oil. yum yum:
          i need wii friends =)
          5289 3036 7758 7104

Comment

M M
            o
            \_____/

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Support Music and Arts Education | www.dafenix.org | 'You have no chance to win.' | GDF Mac Death Squad, Son

Comment

Oh thank you 3howards!!! [img]/emoticons/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I'm going to go food shopping with the misses on Friday or Saturday so I'll pick up some ingredients and lets see if I can wip up your master piece.

I'll post a recepe later on. This is going to be a great thread maybe I can make it a sticky thread. I'll talk with the mods and see what they think.

Comment

yeah, keep this one around!

I'm not a real graphic designer, but I do play one on tv

Comment

Hmm... I half expected the ingredient to display as 'chicken tah tahs' LOL!
                  "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

Fresh mozzarella and tomato sauce on baked bread

step 1: look in yellow pages for local pizza delivery
                    step 2: call them
                    step 3: wait with money
                    step 4: when door rings, pay the person and take food
                    step 5: eat!

Boobie Island and Busty!

Comment

LMAO @ darkels.

Yea I have that recipe already. Verizon sends out a book with a bunch of them.

Comment

benjo, i'll post another recipe next week ... maybe it'll be a weekly thing for me.

never know though, i've been sooooo busy lately!

Instead of focusing on what you won’t be about, decide what you will be about and make that good thing the central aim of your life. -- Pieter Van Waarde
                        Short Attention Gamer | UFClounge

Comment

^^

Actually I like this idea. I like to cook alot. I will revisit this when I have more time.

Boobie Island and Busty!

Comment

What? Part with italian family secrets???
                            Will give this a think or two.
                            Like to cook alot too.
                            Trouble is nothing is written down and measurements can be very individually based.

PrintDriver is a large format digital print dude. His advice/opinions may not apply to the 4color/offset/web world of printing

Comment

...... i'd like to cook one day......

<SUP>www.jdcgraphics.net<SUP>- currentlyunder construction

www.standercreative.com

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Craig B
                                Reply to Help me explaining my job in my portfolio!
                                Craig B
                                I think what you described is fairly typical of most jobs. I'm not saying it's identical but I do web design, email design, interactive apps, collateral, booth graphics, signage, posters, advertising,...
                                Today, 10:46 AM
                              • Colton819
                                Reply to Getting a image ready for print
                                Colton819
                                So I tried doing Pantone colors but obviously they just couldn’t match close enough. The image I posted is actually a vector format I created a raster format then converted to vector in illustrator. I...
                                Today, 08:47 AM
                              • leaagg
                                Help me explaining my job in my portfolio!
                                leaagg
                                Hello,

I am a French designer working for a Turkish company (in turkey).
                                I am now currently working on my updated portfolio because my main goal is QUIT !! The working conditions in...
                                Today, 07:57 AM
                              • PrintDriver
                                Reply to Tours Travel company logo, what do you think?
                                PrintDriver
                                Do people still use QR codes?
                                Two phones ago I downloaded an app just to check that a client's QR code was linking properly when printed. 4 years later now, and that app has never been used again....
                                Today, 07:06 AM
                              • PrintDriver
                                Comment on Getting a image ready for print
                                PrintDriver
                                Way too much sharing there, hank..........
                                Today, 06:51 AM
                              GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X