Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recipes -- for those designers that love to eat too!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hehehe buda! I think there's a recipe for whities in this thread somewhere. The key is to make the burgers very thin, poke holes in them, and put minced onion on the griddle with the meat on top, so the patties steam.
    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

• That looks wonderful!

Comment

• ...I want burgers now. Might grab some for dinner.
        It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

• Me too Buda. This is an "order in" day, so I'm crossing my fingers they choose a place with a good burger!
          This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
          "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

• I too want to try a White Castle burger...not the homemade or the frozen but the real place...if only to try it.
            Dribbble Page
            Behance Portfolio
            Linkedin Profile

Comment

• Originally posted by BJMRamage View Post
              I too want to try a White Castle burger...not the homemade or the frozen but the real place...if only to try it.
              Looks like the closest WC to you is in Tom's River, New Jersey.

ROAD TRIP!

Comment

• yet another reason NJ is awesome, white castle!

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

• was just in Joisey!!

didn't see a white castle but probably too low...in AC.

perhaps another time...we did get a Sonic close to us finally!!
                  Dribbble Page
                  Behance Portfolio
                  Linkedin Profile

Comment

• Yeah, they're all higher up in the state. There's a locator on their site.

Comment

• There aren't many White Castles around here. There happens to be one about 10 miles from me on Rt. 17 in Hasbrouck Heights. But that stretch of 17 (into East Rutherford) has just about every single burger-, sandwich- or chicken-serving fast food chain in existence (if they have locations anywhere in this area). The first Sonic around went right there. I think the only ones missing are a Chick-Fil-A (but there's one in a mall about 10 miles north) and an Arby's.
                      Last edited by Virgo Nightingale; 04-20-2012, 10:12 AM.

blog/portfolio

Comment

• Just saw this....looks pretty good and easy

Violet Jelly

Recipe:

Yield: About 2 cups (four 1/2 cup jars)
                        Once you've picked enough violet flowers, making this jelly could not be simpler. I got four 1/2 cup jars which I canned (plus a little extra that went straight into the refrigerator) out of this recipe.

ingredients:
                        *2 cups fresh violet flower petals (no stems)- make sure you gather them from an area which has not been sprayed with chemicals (and where your dogs don't do their business)
                        *2 cups water
                        *1/4 cup bottled lemon juice (I used organic)
                        *one (1.75 oz) package pectin (I used Mrs. Wages fruit pectin)
                        *2 cups sugar (though I rarely use white sugar, I did in this case because I wanted to make sure the jelly would have the vibrant pink color

directions:
                        1. Rinse and drain flower petals, and place in heat-proof glass bowl. Bring water to a boil and pour over petals. Cover and allow to steep overnight, or for up to 24 hours.

2. Strain the liquid through a fine mesh sieve: use a wooden spoon to press all the liquid from the plant material (compost or discard the flowers when you're through). The liquid will have a greenish tint at this point. If not using it right away, you can refrigerate it for up to 24 hours.

3. Combine strained liquid with lemon juice in the saucepan (notice how it turns purple!), then whisk in the pectin and the sugar. Bring to a full rolling boil, whisking to ensure the sugar and pectin dissolve thoroughly, then turn heat to medium high and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes (or until the jelly has reduced a bit and thickened).

4. Skim off any foam and then ladle into your clean, hot and sterile jars, leaving 1/8″ head space. Wipe lids and screw on the the rings, then process in a hot-water bath for 10 minutes.

5. Remove jars and allow to cool for 24 hours on the counter.

Adapted from Rhythm of the Home.

source

Comment

• Nice, I may have to try that one.
                          Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

• Originally posted by Red Kittie Kat View Post
                            3. Combine strained liquid with lemon juice in the saucepan (notice how it turns purple!)
                            Aha! So violets are a pH indicator. Less acidity, more blue-violet. More acidity, more red-magenta. Maybe the same pigment that's in red onions is in violets too.

Comment

• I know there's something about the acidity in roses that prevent them from being naturally blue.

blog/portfolio

Comment

• Hm, never thought about roses as an indicator but now that you mention it, yes. Then there are hydrangeas, which switch color based on even a tiny amount of iron intake (like burying a couple nails in the ground near their roots).

Anyway, here's what I just finished baking. Kind of old-fashioned I suppose but darned good. I've modified the recipe linked to at the end just slightly.

Oatmeal Raisin Nut Cookies

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
                                1 teaspoon salt
                                1 teaspoon baking soda
                                1 teaspoon cinnamon
                                1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
                                1/2 teaspoon ginger

1 cup (1/2 pound or 2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened, or 1 cup shortening, or 1 stick butter and 1/2 cup shortening
                                1 cup brown sugar, packed
                                1 cup granulated sugar

2 large eggs, well beaten
                                1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
                                1 teaspoon lemon extract

3 cups rolled, quick, or old-fashioned oats -- NOT instant!
                                1 1/2 cups raisins
                                1/2 cup broken-up walnuts or pecans

1) Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two large cookie sheets or line with Silpat or parchment paper, or use ungreased nonstick sheets.

2) Roast walnuts / pecans (if used) for five to ten minutes, turning every few minutes, until aromatic and much more flavorful than before roasting.

3) Whisk flour, salt, baking soda, and spices together in a medium bowl. When walnuts / pecans are ready, remove them and let them cool.

4) In a large mixing bowl, beat butter / shortening until creamy. Add sugars; beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs. Add vanilla and lemon extracts.

5) Stir dry ingredients into butter-sugar mixture. Stir in raisins and nuts. Stir in oats.

6) Spoon out dough by large tablespoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets, leaving at least 2 inches between cookies.

7) Bake until cookie edges turn golden brown, 10-12 minutes.

8) Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets, then carefully remove them, using a spatula, to a wire rack. Cool completely. They will be quite soft until completely cooled. Store tightly covered.

Makes about 2 dozen cookies.

The original recipe is here: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/oat...aisin_cookies/
                                Last edited by Meffy; 04-20-2012, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Breanne.C
                                  Helloooooo!
                                  Breanne.C
                                  Hey everyone! My name is Breanne. I didn't realize there was an introduction spot until after I tried making my first post to identify a font. Ooopsie!

I'm from the Seattle area, a freelance...
                                  Today, 05:31 PM
                                • Breanne.C
                                  Font ID Please
                                  Breanne.C
                                  Hey folks! I need help identifying the font in this logo, just the text "Fire Medic." Can anyone help ID it?

Today, 03:56 PM
                                • chikisg84
                                  Comment on Need feedback on best way to start redesigning my portfiolio website
                                  chikisg84
                                  Thank you so much for your input. What you said about Joomla templates basically dictating the look and feel of the site is basically the reason I've held so long to my current site. I have not found...
                                  Today, 03:32 PM
                                • Biggs097
                                  Reply to Price of Foil vs. Varnish for business cards?
                                  Biggs097
                                  Keep in mind the cost of the tooling the dye is a one time cost. The next lot of cards wont include the tooling cost.
                                  StudioMonkey is also correct of the cost vs. your volume. 100 cards may run...
                                  Today, 02:42 PM
                                • B
                                  Reply to Need feedback on best way to start redesigning my portfiolio website
                                  B
                                  Joomla is my CMS of choice. For that matter, I'm working on some template modifications for a Joomla site this morning.

For a small personal site, Joomla might be overkill. It's certainly...
                                  Today, 02:11 PM
                                GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                                Working...
                                X