Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• <b>
    Reply to Share and feel of a new member
    <b>
    That looks like Ha Long Bay -- a place I've always wanted to visit. The rock formations and the water look amazing. Have you been there? Did you take the photo?
    Today, 09:02 PM
  • tetworx
    Web form design
    tetworx
    Happy holidays designers.

This form is a simplified version of a medical form that previously took users 10-15 minutes to complete. I'm looking for suggestions as far as color patterns,...
    Today, 07:02 PM
  • buicongthai
    Share and feel of a new member
    buicongthai
    Please introduce, my name is Thai, I'm a Viet Nam. I am glad to learn this and know of the GDF to you, maybe it will help me improve the skills of image processing, it is also thanks to the great article...
    Today, 06:51 PM
  • scratchy
    Reply to Print Quality Issues... Am I being swindled?
    scratchy
    If I received that as digital, I would look for another digital printer. I found one in my area and they do amazing work with their equipment. Here is an iPhone image taken from five inches away......
    Today, 04:05 PM
  • chankaieng
    My recent works (water color)
    chankaieng
    Hi all,
    these are my recent drawing execute with water color...
    Today, 01:16 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bacon Jam

Makes a 250ml jar.

Ingredients:
    500g smoked bacon (or use regular bacon and liquid smoke)
    4 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 medium brown onion, sliced
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    Tabasco sauce (according to taste)
    1 cup coffee
    ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
    ¼ cup maple syrup
    Black pepper to taste
    Extra water

Method:

1. In a non stick pan, fry the bacon in batches until lightly browned and beginning to crisp.

2. Using a pair of scissors cut into 1 inch pieces.

3. Fry the onion and garlic in the rendered bacon fat on medium heat until translucent.

4. Transfer the bacon, onion and garlic into a slow cooker or a heavy based cast iron pot and add the rest of the ingredients except for the water.

5. Stove-top method (Lorraine’s method – 30 mins quicker, but involves stirring and checking)
    • Simmer for 2 hours adding ¼ of a cup of water every 25-30 minutes or so and stirring (liquid levels should reduce so you have some juices but not too much).
    5. Slow cooker method (Anna’s method – two pots and extra 30min, but less action required)
    • Simmer for 2 hours, or longer if you like.
    • Return to stove top and simmer to reduce liquid, around 30 minutes.

6. When ready, cool for about 15-20 minutes and then place in a food processor.

7. Pulse for 2-3 seconds so that you leave some texture to the “jam” or of course you could keep whizzing and make it a smoother and more paste like.

Note: it needs to be stored in the refrigerator, but note the texture changes (hardens) when it’s cold.

Not only is it extremely delicious, but it’s incredibly versatile too.

Need to pimp some veggies? Throw in a tablespoon of bacon jam for depth of flavour.

Too tired to cook? Improve a toasted cheese sandwich with a little bacon jam.

After a salty-sweet treat? Melt some chocolate with bacon jam for brilliant little bacon chocolate snacks.

The options are endless, unfortunately the bacon jam supplies are not.
    SOURCE

This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

• Oh. Mah. Gah.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

• I know, right?! I especially like the tips. And I think she's impatient, to finish it off on the stove. I'll bet you could take the lid off of the slow cooker after two hours and let it go until it reduces enough. I'd use a liner, though.
        This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
        "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

• I'd eat the bacon as soon as it got crispy and say, "Oops! Better start over!"

Rinse. Repeat.
          Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

• No offense to garricks, but I like your recipe better, Kitch.

Comment

• Originally posted by KitchWitch View Post
              I'd eat the bacon as soon as it got crispy and say, "Oops! Better start over!"

Rinse. Repeat.
              Impulse control. I haz it. Most of the time.

Comment

• Strawberry Honey Jam

Servings 8
                Difficulty Easy

Ingredients

8 cups Washed, Hulled And Crushed Fresh Strawberries
                1 cup Honey
                2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
                1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
                6 Tablespoons Natural Pectin (Ball)
                8 jars Half-pint Canning Jars With Lids And Rings

Preparation Instructions

Makes 8 half-pints.

1. Sterilize your jars and lids according to standard canning practices. When done, keep the pot of water boiling. You’ll use it in a few minutes.

2 Prepare the strawberries: I used a potato masher to mash my strawberries as I like to have some chunks in my jam. Although doing this does make the jam a bit inconsistent as some of the fruit floats to the top. If you like a smoother jam you may process them with a food processor.

3. Combine the strawberries, honey, lemon juice, lemon zest and pectin in a stainless steel pot over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally and boil for 1-2 minutes.

4. Scrape off the foam and discard it. Ladle the jam into the sterilized jars leaving a 1/4 inch head space. Run a knife around the inside of the rim to loosen up any bubbles. Wipe the rim of the jars and apply the lids.

5. Return the jars to the pot of boiling water that you used to sterilize the jars. Make sure the jars are covered by an inch or two of water. Put the lid on the pot and process the jars for 10 minutes. Afterwards, turn the stove off and take the lid off the pot and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then take the jars out of the water. In about an hour the lids should have sealed—press down on the center of the lids of each to check. If the lid still pops up, it is not sealed and that jar must be refrigerated and used within two weeks. If it is sealed and the lid does not pop up, you have successfully canned your jam and the jam will keep in the pantry for about one year!

Comment

• I do love a good jam

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

• spicy sausage lasagna

Ingredients:
                    • 12 no-boil lasagna noodles
                    • 1 tbsp olive oil
                    • 4 cloves garlic, minced
                    • 1 medium onion, diced
                    • 1 green bell pepper, diced
                    • 1 pound hot Italian sausages, casings removed
                    • 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
                    • 1 16 oz. container ricotta cheese
                    • 2 cups sliced button or crimini mushrooms
                    • 1 pound fresh mozzarella, grated
                    • 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
                    • 2 eggs
                    • 1 tbs basil
                    • 1 tsp dried oregano
                    • ½ teaspoon fresh parsley
                    • 1 sprig rosemary, chopped (about a 1/4 - 1/2 tsp)
                    • ½ tsp ground black pepper
                    • 1 tsp salt
                    • ¼ tsp of nutmeg
                    Method:
                    1. Preheat oven to 375°
                    2. Remove casing from sausage and crumble into small chunks. Place in large saucepan and heat with olive oil over medium high heat; cook sausage until no longer pink, Add onion, garlic, bell pepper, mushrooms, fresh basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook for ten minutes.
                    3. Add tomatoes to meat and veggies let simmer until the flavors combine, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
                    4. In a bowl, combine ricotta, eggs, rosemary, nutmeg, parsley and 1/2 cup of Parmesan.
                    5. Spread meat sauce in the bottom 9×13-inch baking dish. Top with layer of noodles, ricotta mixture, meat sauce and 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers with sauce, noodles, remaining ricotta, meat sauce, and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Top final layer of noodles with remaining sauce, mozzarella, and parmesan.
                    6. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 50 minutes. Remove foil and broil on high for 5 -10 minutes. Let cool for 20 minutes.

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

• Ooo... I haven't done a lasagna with meat yet, just spinach in the ricotta.

blog/portfolio

Comment

• you can make it without meat?

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

• haha, right.

I think mine always has meat.
                          I'll add veggies but always meat.
                          Dribbble Page
                          Behance Portfolio
                          Linkedin Profile

Comment

• I would NEVER MAKE IT without some meat...

Go ahead, OOC it.

blog/portfolio

Comment

• Piñata cookies

- These look like so much fun

Full recipe and instructions

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

• Unicorn guts are made of m&Ms!? Awesome!

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                                Working...
                                X