Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attachment

"œMen may come and men may go..but Pie goes on for ever.€"
    George Augustus Sala, British journalist.
    "˜America Revisited" (1882)

In that spirit, how about some apple hand pies?!?!

Caramelized Apple Hand Pies Recipe

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    3 medium apples, peeled and finely chopped
    1/3 cup packed brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
    1/8 teaspoon ground Ceylon cinnamon
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon natural vanilla powder
    1 package (14.1 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry

TOPPING:
    1/4 cup coarse sugar
    1 teaspoon ground Ceylon cinnamon
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
    Vanilla ice cream, optional

In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add apples; cook and stir 5 minutes. Mix brown sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon; add to apples. Cook and stir 7-8 minutes longer or until apples begin to soften and caramelize. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice and vanilla powder. Cool completely.

Preheat oven to 400°F. On a lightly floured surface, unroll pastry sheets. Roll to 1/8-in. thickness; cut four 5-in. circles from each sheet. Place about 3 tablespoons filling on one half of each circle. Moisten pastry edges with water. Fold pastry over filling. Press edges with a fork to seal or, if desired, pinch edges to seal and flute.

Transfer to greased baking sheets. Prick tops of pastry with a fork. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks.
    For topping, mix sugar and cinnamon. Brush pies with melted butter; sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. Serve warm or at room temperature. If desired, top with ice cream.

Yield: 8 servings.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by garricks; 06-22-2013, 02:23 PM.
    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

• Hey all! I know I haven't been here in a while...sorry about that I can't seem to find the white chicken chili I got on here. It is NOT the Pioneer Woman's recipe. It was a Crock Pot version. It had hominy or corn, white beans, chicken...probably green chilis, chicken broth. Onions. I know not a whole lot of help, but I only see a finished meal shot on my devices, not an ingredient shot or recipe. Thanks everyone!
      Dribbble Page
      Behance Portfolio
      Linkedin Profile

Comment

• That's the picture...but the link there is to another meal.

rats, i feel like i got it on here i think i can figure it out onwhat i remember being there. but thanks!
      Dribbble Page
      Behance Portfolio
      Linkedin Profile

Comment

• The searching on is here is absolutely useless .. but I think I got enough key words that this is the actual recipe from where it was posted.... hopefully.

http://dentonsdaily.blogspot.com/201...is-served.html

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

• garricks
          garricks commented
          Editing a comment
          I was using Google Advanced search to comb the forum. It wasn't really much help.

• Nope, didn't work for me either ... then a direct search through google with the graphicdesignforum string did turn up the recipe BUT there was no way to click it. It would just bring me to the whole thread and it said page 304 and of course I could not get past page 84 no matter what I tried ... so I took that blurb I found on Google and searched for the recipe in general and found it. So easy and convenient this upgrade is ........ said NO ONE EVER!!!

Comment

• Thanks again Red...and here is a version my wife found (pretty close) and what I might have used/based on originaly as I know I had onions in it:

White Bean Chicken Chili Recipe
          http://www.mamasaywhat.com/slow-cook...-chili-recipe/
          What you’ll need:
          • 1 1/2 lbs uncooked chicken breast (can be frozen) cut into 1-2″ chunks (I left the chicken breast whole to ‘mush’ up before eating)
          • 2 – 15 o.z cans of white beans
          • 1 – 15 oz. can of white corn (I used yellow since I couldn’t find white)
          • 1 onion chopped
          • 1 clove garlic finely chopped (use more if you like garlic!)
          • 1 package taco seasoning
          • 1 – 7 oz. can of chopped green chilies
          • 1 can cream of chicken soup
          • 1 – 14 oz. can of chicken broth
          Directions:
          -Spray your crock pot with non-stick cooking spray and place the chicken breast on the bottom.
          -Top your chicken with the beans, corn and onion.

-In a bowl, combine the garlic, taco seasoning, green chilies, soup and broth. I used a whisk to help break up the creamy soup.

-Once mixed together well, add the liquid to your crock pot and give everything a good mix while trying to leave the chicken at the bottom.
          -Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours.

When I walked into our house after work, it smelled amazing! I knew we were in for a very yummy dinner.
          Before serving the chili, use a potato masher to break up the cooked chicken. This will help to thicken up the chili. Serve into dishes and top with grated cheese, sour cream, cilantro and tortilla chips… or anything you feel like using as a topping.
          Dribbble Page
          Behance Portfolio
          Linkedin Profile

Comment

• garricks
            garricks commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks good, BJMR! I just have to find a substitute for the "cream of" soup. Trying to be less processed.

• BJMRamage
            BJMRamage commented
            Editing a comment
            I thought you posted a while back the "homemade" versions of Cream Soups.

I suppose you could do a thickened stock, then add in sour cream or heavy cream toward the end to get it creamy thick. I know in the pioneer woman's version I added in Masa / Corn Flour to help thicken.

• So, this wont be a 100% recipe but more like a guideline as I just mixed things together and had a nice flavor.

Grilled Mojito Chicken
          Limes
          Fresh Mint
          Rum
          Honey
          Oil
          Chicken Breasts

Basically make a mojito as your marinade. I chopped the Mint, added Lime Juice & Zest of one Lime. THen added in a healthy splash of Rum, then instead of Simple Syrup, I used Honey as the sweetener.

Pour a bit of oil into a dish (I used a Pyrex casserole dish), add the chicken, then drizzle a little more Oil overtop, and the Marinade. I sliced an Onion and added that overtop. Cover and let it sit a few hours.

Then Grill. if you want, save some marinade from hitting teh chicken and use as a pour over when the chicken is cooked, OR (as I had to) heat the marinade to a boil to kill any raw chicken matter, and use that as a pour over.

I also made some Honey Lime-Cilantro Sweet Taters (grilled)
          drizzle sliced sweet potato with olive oil and salt n pepper. Cook over low heat until just charring and soft (if still not soft but getting too charred, use in-direct heat. Then pour over Lime Juice, Cilantro and Cumin. and toss. drizzle honey over the taters and enjoy.
          Dribbble Page
          Behance Portfolio
          Linkedin Profile

Comment

• Oh wow. I do love a good mojito. I might have to try this marinade with a spatchcock chicken. I love me some chicken carcass
            It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

• In honour of egg day

Chinese Tea Eggs

Ingredients

6 large free range eggs

3/4 cup light soy sauce

2 star anise

1 cinnamon stick

2 bags black tea

1 teaspoon sugar

Preparation
              1. Place eggs in a pot and fill with water to cover eggs plus 1 inch. Bring the pot to the boil and then immediately turn down the heat and simmer for 5 minutes uncovered.
              2. Remove eggs from heat, drain water and with cold water. Once eggs are cool enough to handle, very gently tap each egg all over the shell. The more you tap, the more intricate the design will be. Personally, I wish I had been a bit more daring with my breaking. Do not break open the eggs, you only want to fracture the outer shell but keep the membrane or skin intact.
              3. Put the eggs back in the pot and add the other ingredients. Top with water so that the eggs are *just* covered.
              4. Bring this to the boil and then immediately turn down the heat and simmer for 30 minutes uncovered.
              5. If you are a street vendor, keep eggs heated to a comfortable serving temperature until sold. If you are not, you can allow steep for at least a few hours or cover and refrigerate overnight.
              Keep in stewing liquid and refrigerated for up to 2 days, then removed from stewing liquid as the eggs will get too salty. Eat within 1 week.
              It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

• Oooh!!

Comment

• I can't remember if I've posted another version of this recipe before, but THIS one is from the bakery where my family loved the most. It's a local recipe (like toasted ravioli), and it's awesome.

ST. LOUIS GOOEY BUTTER CAKE
                  Fred and Audrey Heimburger shared their recipe for this local specialty in "St. Louis Days, St. Louis Nights," which the Junior League of St. Louis published in 1994.
                  "I've made it a number of times," wrote Trish Farano, who sent a copy of the recipe. "Be careful not to overbake it. If it isn't jiggly in the middle, it is overbaked. It will still taste great, but it won't be gooey."
                  Marie Carron of Bloomsdale, Mo., and Jonell Safford of Highland also provided copies of this recipe.
                  The crust is a simple combination of flour, sugar and softened butter that is mixed together and patted into the pan. The topping gets its essential gooey character from evaporated milk, corn syrup, an egg and more butter.
                  The original recipe calls for butter or margarine. Use margarine if you must, but make sure you use regular, full-fat margarine and not a reduced-fat spread. The texture of a cake made with margarine should be fine, but compared with butter, the flavor will suffer.
                  The recipe is just one of many St. Louis specialties in "St. Louis Days, St. Louis Nights" ($22.95), which has sold more than 40,000 copies. Although the book is currently out of stock, the Junior League has a waiting list for the next press run. To be added to the list, call 314-822-2344.
                  ---
                  ST. LOUIS GOOEY BUTTER CAKE
                  Yield: 9 servings
                  For crust:

1 cup all-purpose flour
                  3 tablespoons granulated sugar
                  1/3 cup butter, softened
                  For filling:
                  1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
                  3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
                  1 egg
                  1 cup all-purpose flour
                  2/3 cup evaporated milk
                  1/4 cup light corn syrup
                  1 teaspoon vanilla
                  Powdered sugar
                  1. Prepare the crust. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, combine 1 cup flour and 3 tablespoons sugar. Cut in 1/3 cup butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs and starts to cling together. Pat into the bottom and sides of a greased 9-by-9-by-2-inch pan.
                  2. Prepare the filling. In a mixing bowl, beat 1 1/4 cups sugar and 3/4 cup butter until light and fluffy. Mix in egg until combined. A bit at a time, alternately add 1 cup flour and evaporated milk, mixing after each addition. Add corn syrup and vanilla. Mix at medium speed until well blended.
                  3. Pour filling into crust-lined pan. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until cake is nearly set. Do not overcook. Let cool in pan.
                  Per serving: 492 calories; 25.5g fat (46 percent calories from fat); 92mg cholesterol; 5g protein; 62g carbohydrate; 1g fiber; 277mg sodium.
                  Recipe adapted from one provided by Fred and Audrey Heimburger of Heimburger Bakery that was published in "St. Louis Days, St. Louis Nights," from the Junior League of St. Louis (1994-95).

This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                  "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

• i love chiffon pie. I was very happy to find this blog post:
                    http://www.preparedpantry.com/Recipe...iffon-Pies.htm

Comment

• Full size Watermelon Shots!!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/christinebyr...n-jell-o-shots

Comment

• kemingMatters
                        kemingMatters commented
                        Editing a comment
                        We just drill a hole in a full watermelon and pour a 40 of vodka in it, cut and serve.

I try to avoid eating pig-hoof when I can, looks cool though.

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                    Working...
                    X