Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KitchWitch
    Reply to Down selling to clients
    KitchWitch
    I always try and find the best solution, not the best price. So if the best solution is less expensive than another, bonus for the client. It comes back around. My mom just had a bunch of papers drawn...
    Today, 02:17 PM
  • iyiyi
    Reply to Anybody use a Mac Mini?
    iyiyi
    The mac mini with 16gb is $700 new online. The monitor I want is a 27" at $250 (already have a 24" cinema display I would use a second monitor). The smallest, 21.5" imac with 16gb is $1500...so...
    Today, 02:13 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Comment on My First Design Assignment.
    KitchWitch
    The forum is psychotically insane, Krazy. Lots of things don't work and some just don't work well. The best way to post an image (that I've found) is to upload it to an image hosting site (I use Photobucket),...
    Today, 02:02 PM
  • seamas
    Reply to Cover Layout Feedback
    seamas
    I really don't get minimalism here. I mean you don't have much going on, but instead of a minimal approach you tried to make it interesting --and it isn't working.

Minimalism is as much about...
    Today, 02:02 PM
  • Yehoshua
    Reply to Cover Layout Feedback
    Yehoshua
    The project is a 50 minimalist-driven icons booklet of anything representative of the 1980's. I'm not able to upload the emblems at this time, but sometimes I struggle with layouts and was just wondering...
    Today, 01:40 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PrintDriver you have Italian family secretes?

Man give up the goods, please. I want some dam garlic bread for crying out loud.

Comment

LOL @ PD!! I'm with you...I don't have anything writtin down. Everytime I get a recipe I modify it somehow and never write it down, I just remember!

This thread is cool tho and I will have to try some of the recipes! I love to cook! I don't fry all my food like most Southerners do tho..HAHA! My parents were raised up North..LOL! I grill alotta foods. Shoot...you can throw just about anything on a grill and make it taste great!

Boobie Island or Bust!
      I blog, you blog, we all blog!

Comment

This recipe is really good, as long as you're not afraid of carbs...

Jiffy Rolls

Ingredients: (Note: Recipe can be halved to make 12 rolls.)

2 cups water 7 cups flour 1 Tbsp salt 2 eggs

¼ cup butter 1 Tbsp sugar ½ cup sugar 2 pkts yeast

- In a bowl, dissolve salt, ½ cup sugar & butter in 2 cups boiling water.

- In ½ cup lukewarm water dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar.

- When bowl mixture is cool add yeast mixture and half the flour (3 ½ cups).

- Beat eggs and then add.

- Add balance of flour as needed.

- Knead – set 15 minutes.

- Make into rolls, allow to rise 30 to 90 minutes.

- Bake 350 – 375 degrees, 15-20 minutes.

"It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

DZ- you need to put your stuffed chicken on here. mmmmmmmmmmmm

I wanna be like Case when I grow up!

Today I begin to understand what love must be, if it exists.... When we are parted, we each feel the lack of the other half of ourselves. We are incomplete like a book in two volumes of which the first has been lost. That is what I imagine love to be: incompleteness in absence.

Comment

I like to eat, but I hate to cook.

'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.'
            - Albert Einstein
            ProudPenguin
            P r o d u c t i o n s

Comment

Truffled mashed potatoes:

6 new potatoes, preferrably white, quartered with skins left on (or use 4 yukon gold potatoes).
              2 cloves of garlic, minced and sauteed in butter or olive oil.
              1/4 tsp of kosher salt
              about 1/4 cup of milk
              1 - 1.5 sticks of butter,unsalted
              2-3 tbsp. olive oil
              about 1/2 tsp of white truffle oil (Williams-Sonoma or some other uppity cooking supply store has it)
              1 tbsp. of white wine

1) Cover the potatoes with cold water and cook until fork tender (time depends on your stove)
              2) Drain potatoes and add butter, milk, and olive oil
              3) Mash like the dickens, but please don't use a mixer and completely destroy their texture
              4) add in remaining ingredients and taste your creation.
              5) add more truffle oil if you're brave. With this stuff, a little goes a LONG way, so be careful!

Variations:
              1) replace truffle oil and sauteed garlic with 1/2 cup of pesto - not storebought pesto, but homemade
              2) relace olive oil with browned butter (google it)
              3) replace truffle oil with fresh basil or tarragon, add some sauteed shiitake mushrooms.

I like this thread. Great idea Howards!

-Jason

The clothes do make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society at large.

Post Edited (Jason Fraker) : 8/13/2004 7:11:50 PM GMT

Comment

ooh- that sounds really good!

Comment

come on folks, I bet more of you have recipes!

The more people I meet, the more I love my cats.

Comment

Pseudo Beef Stroganoff
                    Prep / Cook time: 25 minutes
                    __________________________________________________ ________
                    Ingredients:

1 lb. ground turkey
                    1 can sliced mushrooms
                    2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
                    1 can (10 3/4 oz) Cream of Mushroom soup
                    ½ tsp. paprika
                    ½ cup light sour cream
                    4 cups cooked medium egg noodles
                    Chopped fresh parsley
                    __________________________________________________ ________

Directions:

Heat oil in skillet. Add ground turkey and cook until browned. Flavor as desired.

Fry mushrooms until browned. Flavor as desired. (Garlic powder, salt, pepper, chili powder). Add mushrooms to ground turkey.

Boil egg noodles for 5 to 7 minutes.

In a separate pan, heat soup and paprika to a boil. Stir in sour cream. Add ground turkey, mushrooms and noodles and heat through.

Garnish with parsley if desired. Tasty stuff!

Last edited by morea; 05-19-2005, 11:21 PM.

Comment

OK then. This is a local dish (England, Birmingham) and my personally favourite... I could live off this... well I practically do!

Chicken Balti

Ingredients

1 tbs oil
                      1 onion, sliced
                      450 g (1 lb) boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
                      2 tbs crushed curry spices
                      1 orange pepper, sliced
                      4 tomatoes, chopped
                      2 tbs flour
                      300 ml (1/2 pint) water
                      2 tbs tomato puree
                      2 coriander leaves

Preparation

Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion and chicken for 5 minutes, until browned. Add the crushed curry spices and fry for a further minute.

Stir in the pepper and tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes. Add the flour and blend in the water, stirring. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil.

Simmer for 10 minutes. Season well with salt to taste.

Enjoy!

Comment

Sounds good, Reed!

I haven't actually tried this one, but I've never met a cheesecake I didn't like!

CHOCOLATE ORANGE CHEESECAKES
                        You can view the complete recipe online at: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...s/views/230482

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus additional for greasing muffin cups
                        12 chocolate wafers such as Nabisco Famous (1/2 cup)
                        1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
                        4 oz cream cheese, softened
                        Rounded 1/4 teaspoon finely grated fresh orange zest
                        1/2 cup well-chilled heavy cream

Special equipment: a nonstick mini-muffin pan with 12 (1/8-cup) muffin cups
                        Garnish: bittersweet chocolate shavings (made with a vegetable peeler)
                        Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Butter muffin cups.

Grind wafers to a fine powder in a food processor.

Mix together wafer crumbs, 2 tablespoons butter, and 2 tablespoons brown sugar in a bowl with a rubber spatula until combined well. Divide crumbs among muffin cups, then firmly press onto bottom and a little up side of each cup with your fingertips or with bottom of an 1/8-cup measure by twisting measure.

Bake 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack and cool in muffin pan 10 minutes. Gently rotate crusts with your fingertips to loosen and turn out onto rack.

Beat together cream cheese, zest, and remaining brown sugar (3 tablespoons plus 1/3 teaspoon) with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until fluffy. Beat cream in another bowl with cleaned beaters until it just holds stiff peaks. Stir about one third of whipped cream into cream cheese mixture to lighten, then gently fold in remaining whipped cream until just combined.

Mound filling into crusts with a spoon (or pipe filling into crusts with a pastry bag) and serve, or chill until ready to serve.

Post Edited (morea) : 10/17/2004 1:09:46 AM GMT

Comment

Great stuff guys, ^^^More international recipies please!

***VWANGA FOR PRESIDENT***
                          ***ZARTAN FOR VICE PRESIDENT***
                          2004 - Forever!

First America -Then The World!

"Were not asking for your vote people,were pancaking demanding it!"

Comment

Easy Cheesy Cream of Broccoli Soup

This is a fast but delicious soup recipe for those who like broccoli soup but don't like the canned taste. I use light cheese and 98% fat-free soup to reduce the fat content of the soup. Servings: 3

Ingredients:
                            1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli
                            1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
                            1 1/4 cups milk
                            8 ounces processed cheese food (eg. Velveeta)
                            salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
                            1. Prepare broccoli according to directions. Drain off excess water.
                            2. Add cream of mushroom soup and one can of milk to broccoli. Stir and heat thoroughly on low.
                            3. Add cheese, stirring until melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Your quick and creamy soup is ready to serve!

Comment

Shrimp Ceviche "Cocktail" (Ceviche o coctel de camaron)
                              Makes 3 cups, serving 6 as an appetizer

1/2 cup plus 2 tblsp fresh lime juice
                              1 generous pound unpeeled smallish shrimp (41/50 count to a pound)
                              1/2 medium white onion, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
                              1/3 chopped fresh cilantro, plus several sprigs for garnish
                              1/2 cup ketchup
                              1 to 2 tblsp vinegary Mexican bottled hot sauce (Tamazula, Valentina or Bufalo, Tapatio)
                              About 2 tblsp olive oil, preferably extra virgin (optional)
                              1 cup diced peeled cucumber or jicama (or 1/2 cup of each)
                              1 small ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and cubed
                              salt
                              several lime slices for garnish
                              tostadas or tortilla chips, store-bought or homemade or saltine crackers for serving

1. Cooking and marinating the shrimp.
                              Bring 1-quart salted water to a boil and add 2 tblsp of lime. Scoop in the shrimp, cover and let the water return to the boil. Immediately remove from the heat, set the lid askew and pour off all the liquid. Replace the cover and let the shrimp steam off the heat for 10 minutes. Spread out the shrimp in a large glass or stainless steel bowl to cool off completely.

Peel and devein the shrimp if you wish: One by one, lay the shrimp on your work surface, make a shallow incision down the back and scrape out the (usually) dark intestinal tract. Toss the shrimp with the remaining 1/2 cup lime juice, cover and refrigerate for about an hour.

2. The flavorings.
                              In a small strainer, rinse the onion under cold water, then shake off the excess liquid. Add to the shrimp bowl along with the cilantro, ketchup, hot sauce, optional olive oil, cucumber and/or jicama and avocado. Taste and season with salt, usually about 1/2 tsp. Cover and refrigerate if not serving immediately.

3. Serving the Ceviche.
                              Spoon the ceviche into sundae glasses, martini glasses or small bowls; garnish with sprigs of cilantro and slices of lime. Serve with tostadas, tortilla chips or saltines to enjoy alongside.

Working ahead: the ceviche is best made the day it is served. Tha flavorings can be added to the shrimp a few hours in advance.

This is one of my favorites and a definite crowd pleaser. For those that don't like avocados, I usually leave them out.

Instead of focusing on what you won’t be about, decide what you will be about and make that good thing the central aim of your life. -- Pieter Van Waarde
                              Short Attention Gamer | UFClounge

Comment

Here's my own chili recipe:

Cowboy Jeffie’s Confetti Chicken Chili

3 - 4 tablespoons olive oil
                                2 medium yellow onions - chopped
                                2 tablespoons garlic - coarsely chopped
                                3 - 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts - cubed
                                1 cup chicken broth or chicken bouillon
                                1 can (28 oz.) stewed tomatoes (whole
                                or chopped) - drained (save liquid)
                                2 tablespoons chili powder
                                2 teaspoons cumin
                                2 teaspoons curry powder
                                1 teaspoon dried oregano
                                2 teaspoons cocoa powder
                                1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
                                A 'pinch' of red pepper flakes
                                1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
                                Freshly ground black pepper to taste
                                1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
                                1 can (5 3/4 oz.) black olives - sliced
                                1 medium-sized green zucchini - thinly sliced and quartered
                                1 medium-sized yellow zucchini - thinly sliced and quartered green, red, yellow, orange and
                                purple), cored, seeded and cut into
                                1/2-inch squares
                                1 can (27 oz.) red kidney beans - drained
                                Fresh lemon juice (juice of one lemon)
                                Nonfat yogurt or sour cream (optional garnish)
                                Grated cheddar cheese (optional garnish)
                                Fresh cilantro (optional garnish)

This is a recipe I adapted from one published in Parade Magazine several years ago. It was kind of boring and colorless. The graphic designer in me changed many of the ingredients to make it a colorful dish. It can be served as a meal, with fresh bread or corn muffins, heated in the winter or cold in the summer. It is somewhat time consuming to prepare, but the results are more than worth the effort. Guests who have been served this dish at our home are always requesting a repeat performance when dining with us again.

1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over low heat. Saute onion and garlic in hot oil for about 5 minutes.

2. Add cubed chicken breasts and cook for 5 - 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth or bouillon and continue cooking.

3. Add stewed tomatoes to the mixture, allowing tomatoes to cook down for about 10 minutes (this is a good time to get all the peppers and zucchini prepared). Use the reserve liquid later to thin down the chili before serving if necessary.

4. Add all your spices - chili powder, cumin, curry powder, oregano, cocoa powder, cayenne pepper, Tabasco and black pepper - and allow to simmer for 10 - 15 minutes. This makes for fairly hot chili. For a milder chili cut back on the curry powder, cayenne and Tabasco sauce to your own taste. Don’t cut back on the chili powder - it adds flavor, not hotness.

5. Add the olives, zucchini, peppers and tomato sauce to the pan and simmer for 20 - 30 minutes.

6. 15 - 20 minutes prior to serving add the kidney beans and allow to heat thoroughly.

7. Just prior to serving add the fresh lemon juice and stir through the sauce. This adds a freshness to the chili and takes the 'edge' off the hotness. Add the reserve tomato liquid to thin down the chili if necessary.

8. Garnish with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream, fresh cilantro and/or grated cheddar cheese prior to serving.

The chili is even better reheated the next day - or served cold on a hot summer day.

Enjoy! - Jeff

:: :: :: :: :: :: ::

Jeff Fisher :: Engineer of Creative Identity
                                Jeff Fisher LogoMotives

Member - HOW Magazine Editorial Advisory Board :: HOW Design Conference Advisory Board

Author - 'The Savvy Designer's Guide to Success: Ideas and tactics for a killer career' - to be released by HOW Design Books in December 2004.

Jeff Fisher | Engineer of Creative Identity
                                Jeff Fisher LogoMotives | Twoot! Twoot!

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                                Working...
                                X