Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recipes -- for those designers that love to eat too!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Love my Thai food. Really easy and simple and healthy as hell!!

lemon grass Chicken, "Gai Sai Takrai"

Ingredients

1 cup chicken, cut into bite sized pieces.
    2 tablespoons of lime juice
    2 tablespoons of fish sauce
    2 tablespoons of chicken stock
    1-2 teaspoon of freshly ground dried red Thai chilis
    1 tablespoon of thinly sliced Thai chile peppers
    1 teaspoon of sugar
    4-5 kaffir lime leaves, shredded
    1 tablespoon of sliced shallot (purple or red onion)
    1 tablespoon thinly sliced garlic.
    2 tablespoons sliced lemon grass
    2 tablespoons diced spanish onion
    1 tablespoon of spring onion (scallion/green onion), thinly sliced

Method.

Mix the lime juice and fish sauce, and marinade the chicken for about an hour.

Pound the lemon grass with a mallet or meat tenderiser, and then verythinly slice it.

Heat a little oil in a wok or skillet to medium high heat, add the shallots, onions, garlic, ground dried red Thai chilis and lemon grass, and stir fry until aromatic.

Add the chicken and marinade and stir fry until it starts to change color. Add the remaining ingredients and stir fry until heated through and the chicken is fully cooked.

Serve with steamed Thai jasmine rice.

This dish can also be made with shrimp.

Recipe from www.importfood.com

Comment

Made this last night with garlic bread and salad. It was great!

Wild Mushroom Lasagna

1 pound lasagna noodles
      1 tablespoon olive oil
      2 shallots, minced
      2 large yellow onions, chopped
      1 pound mushrooms (cremini, shiitake or a combination), sliced
      salt to taste
      freshly ground black pepper
      2 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
      2 cups low-fat ricotta cheese
      1 egg
      pinch of nutmeg
      3 cups basic tomato sauce, homemade, jarred or canned
      1 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
      1/2 cup breadcrumbs
      2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Preparation
      - Estimated cooking time: 60 minutes -

Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil and prepare a large bowl of ice water. Add the lasagna noodles to the boiling water and cook until they are just al dente. Drain and plunge the noodles into the ice water to cool them quickly. Drain again and lay the noodles out on paper towels.

Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add the shallots, onions and mushrooms. Season with salt, pepper and thyme and cook until the mushrooms are browned on the edges. Set the mushroom-onion mixture aside in a strainer to allow the excess liquid to drain. Remove and discard the thyme sprigs.

In a medium bowl, mix the mushroom-onion mixture with the mozzarella cheese. In a separate bowl, mix the ricotta cheese, egg, salt, pepper and nutmeg together.

Preheat the oven to 325°F.

Cover the bottom of a large baking dish (at least 2 inches deep) with a thin coat of tomato sauce. Line the dish with a single layer of lasagna noodles.

Spread 1/3 of the ricotta mixture over the noodles. Cover the ricotta with 1/3 of the mushroom-onion mixture, sprinkle with a few tablespoons of breadcrumbs and add another layer of noodles. Continue layering the ricotta, mushroom-onion mixture, breadcrumbs and noodles two more times. Pour the remaining tomato sauce over the last layer of noodles.

(This can be prepared in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.)

Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove the foil, sprinkle the Parmesan over the top and continue to bake until the lasagna is brown and bubbly around the edges of the dish, about 5 minutes more. Let stand for at least 15 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.

(This can be baked in advance, stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days and reheated before serving.)

The more people I meet, the more I love my cats.
      "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

this thread should be a sticky

Comment

Ok, I'll let you guys in on my little secret receipe...
          Quick and Easy!

Vegetarian Stuffed Mushrooms
          Make as much as your ingredients allow you.

Large Capped Mushrooms
          Garlic Butter
          Havarti Cheese (preferably tomato & oregino or hot pepper/?)
          Black Pepper
          Vegetable Oil
          Balsamic Vinigar

Scoop out the stem of mushroom with a teaspoon.
          Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
          In a large frying pan combine oil & balsamic vinigar(to cover bottom of pan) and mushrooms
          Fry mushrooms 1/3 cooked. Remove from pan and place on baking sheet.
          place a 1/4' sq. cube of garlic butter in each mushroom cap, on top place a larger size (your preference) of cheese on top.
          Sprinkle Black pepper over the tops and put into the oven untill mushrooms are fully cooked.
          Cool and serve.

Don't dunk the cat in the water!

Comment

^bump

Comment

Anyone have a good recipe fro Raj Mah, Paneer Makni, or Sate?

Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice…ummn…you don't fool me again?… (well I guess you do)

Comment

Pasta Arrabiatta:

1) enough bowtie, shells, or orichiette pasta for about 4 people prepared as directed.
                2) About 6 slices of bacon (less if you're not so crazy about bacon), fried until crisp and coarsly chopped
                3) 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced (buy the kind preminced in a jar to save time)
                4) 1-2 tblsp. capers
                5) 1/2 cup of white wine
                6) two roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
                7) a dash of cayenne pepper (more if you like hot food)
                8) a few tblsp. extra virgin olive oil
                9) some wild mushrooms
                10) shredded parmesan cheese

First, you cook the pasta, set it aside coated with oil to keep it from sticking. Then, you saute garlic in olive oil for a minute or two and add capers and mushrooms. After that, you add wine and simmer for a few minutes. Finally, you add pasta, more oil and tomatoes and stir to coat pasta with contents of saute pan. Finish it off by adding cayenne pepper and shredded parmesan. Excellent!!

-Jason

A lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth can even put on its shoes.
                -Mark Twain

Comment

see, now we need to have a covered dish luncheon. Everybody bring your favorite!

Power to the Old Schoolers! and btw, if you can't say something nice, shut the hell up.

Comment

OK, I'm not very good at measuring anything, I usually just add stuff as I go along, so sorry for the lack of quantites. So this is only good if you judge it by eye!

Spanish Omelette</font>

I use this recipe to use up what's in the kitchen. If I have lots of eggs and potatoes, you can pretty much add most vegetables, so long as they're not too watery (like Aubergine). It's also nice to add bacon or chorizo to it too.

Very thinly sliced potato
                    Sliced onions (can be white or red, the flavour is changed a lot and red adds a great colour to them)
                    Red and or green peppers (em I think you Americans call them Bell Peppers? I think their scientific name is capsicum)
                    Quite a few eggs
                    As much grated cheese and you like.

Fry the potatoes and onions until golden brown. You may need to do this in batches as I find it's much easier to do than if you have too much in the frying pans. Lay these out in a shallow baking dish (a ceramic one not tin). Fry you peppers and whatever else you may have hanging about vegetable wise. Beat your eggs together (this can be tricky to measure - make sure you have enough to cover all of the potatoes) and mix with the cheese. Bake in the oven til the eggs are set and voila! This is really good hot, but also dead nice to cut up and eat for lunch the next day cold.

Mmmmm,, I'm hungry now!

Searching for creative juices

Comment

All the above for me ... on one plate. But what for dessert?

Comment

This Epicurious.com recipe: MEXICAN HOT FUDGE SUNDAES
                        You can view the complete recipe online at: www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/231452

MEXICAN HOT FUDGE SUNDAES
                        3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
                        1/2 cup (or more) freshly brewed strong coffee
                        16 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
                        1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
                        1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
                        Vanilla ice cream
                        Toasted pine nuts
                        Bring cream and 1/2 cup coffee to boil in medium saucepan. Remove from heat. Add chocolate and cinnamon. Stir until chocolate is melted and sauce is smooth. Mix in vanilla extract. Scoop ice cream into bowls. Top with warm fudge sauce and pine nuts.

Bon Appétit

if you can't say something nice, shut the hell up.

Memoirs of the Driven Insane

Comment

Cream and Coffee ... naughty naughty, morea. Two things that I keep out of my diet ... but ... chocolate chips ... I could be tempted to eat chocolate again for the first time in 3 years (yes, I gave it up 3 years ago).

Comment

Believe it or not, I gave up beef for 5 years... but now I do enjoy steak on a rare occasion.
                            Last edited by morea; 06-01-2008, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Hahaha ... oh, morea ... I feel the same way about chocolate, more and more. In fact, I really could do with some chocolate right now ... but that was the biggest problem wasn't it!? ... deciding WHICH choclate you're in the mood for. Milk chocolate ... dark chocolate ... white chocolate ... orange flavour ... with nuts ... or with caramel ... arghhh, it is too much.

Comment

Here is a not so Quicky Appitizer to bring to parties or get togethers that's cheap.
                                Along with a little extra.

Potatoe Skins.

One bag of potatoes (or how ever many you want to make)
                                Brick cheese (I use marble)
                                bacon bits (can be real bacon or actual bits)
                                Optional toppings:
                                fresh onion bits
                                Chives
                                oregino
                                bits of tomato

Directions:
                                Wash potatoes, place in oven at 400F till potato is completely baked. Usually around an hour.
                                Remove from oven, slice in half and let cool for 5-10 minutes (or until cool enough to handle them)
                                Scoop out middle of potato with spoon into bowl (there's a reason for the bowl, just wait) leave a little potato in potato for stability.
                                Grind up brick cheese
                                fill skins with cheese, place bacon on top, then any other toppings of you choice.
                                Place skins on cookie sheet, bake till cheese is melted.
                                Serve hot with sour cream.
                                TOTAL time: about 2 hours.

Now, the remainder potatoes... while still HOT! (very important that they are still hot, the skins can wait)
                                make mashed potatoes!!!
                                with that, you can leave as mashed or make Gnocchi.

Stir into mashed potatoes (with hands if you want):
                                1 egg
                                flour (keep adding bit by bit till it becomes doughy)
                                and parmasan (sp?) cheese (to your liking)
                                roll into LITTLE oval shaped balls (a bit larger than a quarter)
                                Freeze.
                                When ready to eat, cook as you would noodles untill hot throughout Gnocchi.

Enjoy! A Two in One

Post Edited (Kink) : 2/11/2005 3:18:00 PM GMT

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                                Working...
                                X