X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scruggs is most famous for "The Ballad of Jed Clampet" better known as the Beverly Hillbillies theme song with his long time partner Lester Flat. They even made a few guest appearances on the show as cousins Earl and Lester.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kool View Post
      Scruggs is most famous for "The Ballad of Jed Clampet" better known as the Beverly Hillbillies theme song with his long time partner Lester Flat. They even made a few guest appearances on the show as cousins Earl and Lester.
      I remember those episodes! God I feel pretty old right now, but in my defense, they were reruns, I swear!
      “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

Comment

• RIP.

At the end of the year I got daughter a 5-string banjo for her 5th birthday.
        She had been asking for one since she was three.

I got it online, it was inexpensive and the description said "travel banjo", so I though it would be 3/4 scale like a travel guitar.

So it's a little big for her, but I was having a blast learning the right-hand rolls--but managed to destroy that 5th string nut. Need to replace that asap.

It's a fun as hell instrument and Scruggs really defined a whole style.

Originally posted by Kool View Post
        Scruggs is most famous for "The Ballad of Jed Clampet" better known as the Beverly Hillbillies theme song with his long time partner Lester Flat. They even made a few guest appearances on the show as cousins Earl and Lester.
        Best part of those episodes is keeping an eye on Jed. Buddy Ebsen was a real dancer.
        Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

• Juan Luis Pedro Felipo de Huevos Epstein

From Welcome Back Kotter R.I.P.

Horshack must be beside himself OH oH oH oH ooooooooooo!!!

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
          Aesop

Comment

• Wow, sorry to hear that. Looks like he died January 26... ARTICLE
            This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
            "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

• RIP Dr Jim Marshall OBE (1923—2012)

The man, the myth, the legend: Dr Jim Marshall OBE, founder of the Marshall Amps brand has died, aged 88.
              http://www.musicradar.com/totalguita...23-2012-538304
              I feel like a city kid who has stumbled into a town

Comment

• Dam! Play the Music louder!!!
                "After all is said and done, more is said than done."
                Aesop

Comment

• edit: wrong thread.

Comment

• Laura Nyro. She died 15 years ago, in April 1997, of ovarian cancer. I mention her name today because NPR did a story on her this morning, and I'd forgotten how much I love hearing her sing her own work. http://www.lauranyro.com/

I really didn't know who she was until 1992, when I was music director for a production of "Godspell." Stephen Schwartz put an instruction in one song (I think it was "Bless the Lord My Soul") that it was to be sung like Laura Nyro, so I did some research. I can't believe how prolific she was!

Give me my freedom for as long as I be.
                    All I ask of living is to have no chains on me.
                    All I ask of living is to have no chains on me,
                    And all I ask of dying is to go naturally.
                    Oh I want to go naturally.

Here I go,
                    Hey Hey!
                    Here comes the devil,
                    Right Behind.
                    Look out children,
                    Here he comes!
                    Here he comes! Hey...

Don't want to go by the devil.
                    Don't want to go by demon.
                    Don't want to go by Satan,
                    Don't want to die uneasy.
                    Just let me go naturally.

and when I die,
                    When I'm dead, dead and gone,
                    There'll be one child born in our world to carry on,
                    To carry on.
                    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

• Ferdinand Porsche, 75.

"designer in the illustrious German automaking family, Ferdinand Alexander Porsche shaped the famed 911 sports car and the Porsche 904 Carrera GTS."

Comment

• RIP Thomas Kinkade

Kinkade, 54, died at his home in Los Gatos in the San Francisco Bay Area of what appeared to be natural causes.
                        Source

Regardless of loving or hating his work ... he sure was popular and knew how to sell his wares.
                        Last edited by Red Kittie Kat; 04-07-2012, 12:23 PM.

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

• Wow, he was younger than I am?

Comment

• Maybe he died from the despair of seeing so many of us trash his work in this thread a few weeks ago. Seriously though, he was an incredibly gifted painter, but it's too bad that his talent was wasted on painting sofa-sized kitch. Then again, he was likely the richest living artist on the planet, so who am I to say that he wasted his talent.
                            Last edited by <b>; 04-07-2012, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• He trademarked his "Painter of Light" slogan. I've never been a big fan but a good example of American capitalism using artistic talent. Mostly repetitive, yawny stuff and he took it as far as it could go. Not surprisingly, the stories are already surfacing about distributors being stiffed, shoddy business practices and lawsuits. Of course who'd expect anything different when many fingers are dipping into the Kincade pie and the business contracts contain multiple zeros. Two sides to every story though.

I must say that a staple of our holiday viewing around here is the autobiografical DVD movie Christmas Cottage. Whatever your feelings toward the guy are, it's actually quite enjoyable. Peter O'Toole is excellent in it.

RIP

Comment

• Originally posted by Lith View Post
                                RIP Dr Jim Marshall OBE (1923—2012)
                                Well now the Marshall trilogy in heaven is complete. James Marshall Hendrix, music photographer icon Jim Marshall, and of course Jim Marshall, without whom... RIP

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                                Working...
                                X