X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes.

I prefer melody over rhythm, so it's NOT my favorite piece. Hubby takes advantage of that, so when he feels like annoying me, he often does it with that song. I probably would like it more if it weren't for that.

Big brass bass, big brass bass! And the piccolo, the piccolo!

Arg.

blog/portfolio

Comment

And the piccolo, the piccolo! Unicorns too...

Oh, wait. That's not right, is it?

I think it's a clever representation of train sounds, and certainly a great way to open a show, leading you directly into the town.

I think my favorite tune is Lida Rose/Dream of Now. The combo of marian singing over the quartet is just cool. Close to it is 'Til there was You.

From teh Wikis:
      Willson penned a number of very well known songs, such as "You and I", which was a No. 1 for Glenn Miller in 1941 on Billboard. It was also recorded by Bing Crosby, and by Tommy Dorsey with Frank Sinatra on vocals.

Three songs from The Music Man have become American standards: "Seventy-Six Trombones", "Gary Indiana", and "Till There Was You." The last was recorded by The Beatles' for their albums With The Beatles (UK release, 1963) and Meet The Beatles! (US release, 1964).

Individual songs include: "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas", "May the Good Lord Bless and Keep You", and "I See The Moon". He wrote the University of Iowa's fight song, and Iowa State University's "For I for S Forever". He also wrote the fight song for his hometown high school "Mason City, Go!" He honored The Salvation Army with a musical tribute entitled "Banners and Bonnets".

An oddity in Willson's body of work is "Chicken Fat", written in 1962. In school gymnasiums across the nation, this was the theme song for President John F. Kennedy's youth fitness program.[10] It was time to get the country's youth into shape, and Willson's song had youngsters moving through basic exercises at a frenetic pace: push-ups, sit-ups, jumping jacks, torso twists, running in place, pogo springs, and plenty of marching. With an energetic lead vocal by Robert Preston, orchestral marching band, and full chorus, it was likely recorded during sessions for the Music Man motion picture. In 1974 he offered a marching song "Whip Inflation Now" to the Ford Administration, but it was not used.
      This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
      "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

My hubby is RIGHT NOW quoting the Music Man, and talking about that cover he'd like to do someday.

blog/portfolio

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
        Working...
        X