Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• georgemaharis1
    HI!
    georgemaharis1
    Just posted in printing and prepress. Hope to see it approved shortly!
    Today, 12:36 AM
  • georgemaharis1
    Register from a Gerber to a Roland or vice versa?
    georgemaharis1
    I need to be able to routinely prototype / make comps of self adhesive labels. This includes both clear and opaque. I have access to a ROLAND VS which does a VERY good job, but the metallics it can...
    Today, 12:14 AM
  • desmiley1
    Reply to Illustrator won't let me highlight text?
    desmiley1
    Same here, new account...Thanks so much for posting this answer. The zombie post lives and has been re-awakened for 2014!
    Yesterday, 10:32 PM
  • Sbower
    Reply to Re Branding my personal logo.
    Sbower
    Thank you everyone for you comments they have been very helpful. I do have to agree after looking it over again I don't think the icon reads very effectively. And therefore makes it a bit useless. And...
    Yesterday, 09:58 PM
  • PanToshi
    Comment on Are you able to read the text?
    PanToshi
    No prob. The vBulletin forum software is really kinda… well, borked up. I'm glad the workaround works for ya.
    Yesterday, 09:51 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Stiffed

I know for the most part, the general public thinks my job is easy and relaxing and all I do is make pretty pictures all day. WRONG-O. Graphic Designers and Artists for hire, get screwed or stiffed more than a 10 cent hooker. Being that as it may, I need some advice.

Before I acquired my job at the University I worked for a restaurant supply company that specialized in Point of Sale systems. I worked there for a month or so after moving back to Columbia from St. Louis. Upon leaving, my boss and I worked out an arrangement in which I would continue on a contract basis, doing work for him. At first there was a lot of work, but it has trickled off some to about two projects a month, and I think my boss wanted to renegotiate for less money which is fine. He sent me two emails incorrectly assessing how much time I spend on this a month, and I corrected him, and told him how much I charge per hour, and that if he would like, I could invoice him the time spent per month. I received no further communication, and now (that was the beginning of August the day my Grandfather died) I haven't received payment in a month, and his assistant is asking for work.

I've been screwed over plenty of times, enough so that I'd almost rather cut and run rather than put up with the very idea that he is intentionally trying to squirm out of paying me, which it is quite obvious that is what he is doing. However, the extra dough, however much it is, is always nice.

Yestday I sent him an email requesting information as to what the "new arrangement" is, basically trying to force him to communicate or explain why all of a sudden he has stopped paying me without notice, but I have not heard back from him. This morning his assistant emailed me saying there were some things he would like reworked and see. I know he has gotten my email, and this only further's my belief that he is avoiding me and paying me.

Help? Advice? What should my next step be?

If your sure the informal arrangement is over then send him an invoice for what he owes you with all the little legal bits about late payment charges, etc. You're a business, act like one. Poeple only stiff designers because they allow them to. Do the same things that any other business does when payments are late. If they don't pay take em to court or turn em over to a collection agency.

Comment

refuse to do anymore work for him either till he pays.

also make a contract next time. stating you will be paid X amount of days/weeks after services rendered.
      "Even when I'm not at 100%, I'm still 110% better then anyone else!"

Check out my indie comic books at http://www.crycomic.com and http://www.assassinsguild.net/

Comment

Get a contract.
        I learned it the hard way too.
        Now I'll never work without one.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
        Working...
        X