Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email: Dear client, attached is the PowerPoint slide set you asked me to design. Please note that there is no pie chart on slide two because you did not send any data with which to create a chart. Please send me current numbers so I can complete your presentation.

Response: This looks great!!! Please add the pie chart to slide two and it'll be ready to go.

*headdesk headdesk headdesk*
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

• Email from coworker: "I need logos for Facility 1, Facility 2 and Facility 3, but can't find them. Please send them to me."

My reply: "All official logos can be found here (link included). If you cannot find a logo you're looking for, it should not be used. Facility 1 and Facility 2 are no longer within our scope. Thank you."

His reply: "I did some more digging and a guy in Finance sent me this." Includes a PPT slide with ten-year old logos from all three facilities.

My reply, copying in the manager of our creative department: "Please use the website. Do not go to Finance for logos."

*headdesk*
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

• When a client tries to negotiate a 30% discount on a rush job, then tells you they'd like you to come on location shots with them to Miami and Singapore.

Comment

• Just finished a Freelance job for a little company, they are very happy with my work, and one of the clients wants to continue working with me in another project.

Client: So, I'd like a logo.
          Me: Ok. (tells usual logo fee, which is not expensive at all).
          Cliente: oooohhh that much? Why though? Why are logos so expensive? Why do you charge SOOO much for a logo? -says the client, wide eyed-
          I try my best not to eyeroll and sigh in frustration, but give a very dishonest smile.
          Me: Because... I am good, like really good.
          Client: This logo cost me half the price. - points at the logo, he just said he didnt like, and wanted me to also re design-

What really annoyed me thought, after all that, I was stupid enough to offer him a significant discount on the logo but considering he asked for a complete campaign. He, OF COURSE, ended up only paying for the logo, and making the dissapear act. Thank God I, despite my clear show of stupidity, had the sense to at least ask an advance for the value of the logo.
          Last edited by Momoshy; 03-10-2017, 04:41 PM.

Comment

• KitchWitch
            KitchWitch commented
            Editing a comment
            Valid complaint, and the client may have balked no matter what you said. However, if I went to a mechanic and asked why my repairs would be so expensive and he/she said, ''Because I'm really good,'' I'd walk. You need to be able to sell your business. Explain the importance of a quality logo. If nothing else, explain that by going to a professional and getting proper vector art in proper file formats, you'll be saving them big money down the line on printing.

• Possumgal
            Possumgal commented
            Editing a comment
            People don't understand that a logo is not like any other business piece. It represents the company, and will continue to do so for a long time and in many ways, whether on mailings, billboards, business cards, vehicle wraps, TV ads, and so on. It's the face of the business, and if done well, is very valuable.

• Does anyone else feel like Job Platforms like Upwork are destroying our business. Kinda like how Groupon destroyed....well, all businesses. It's a great idea but in execution it actually sucks. How can I compete for a job with someone overseas charging 90% less then I do for the same job! I also feel local customers see their rates and assume they should be the same for local talent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kovski View Post
            Does anyone else feel like Job Platforms like Upwork are destroying our business. Kinda like how Groupon destroyed....well, all businesses. It's a great idea but in execution it actually sucks. How can I compete for a job with someone overseas charging 90% less then I do for the same job! I also feel local customers see their rates and assume they should be the same for local talent.
            My experience in this profession goes back 30-plus years, so I have a perspective the predates the whole crowdsourcing and offshore outsourcing of graphic design.

You're right, it's difficult to compete with overseas designers who work from countries where the cost of living is far lower than it is here. However, this doesn't really take away work from, say, U.S. designers since that work never really existed to begin with.

Those supposed clients who spend a few dollars here and there on crowdsourcing sites are the same sorts of people who, 20 years ago, would simply have done things themselves with a Sharpie or talked their nephews into helping them. They would have hand-drawn their own logos, typed up their own flyers, had the quick-print shop down the street schlock together their handouts, relied on the Yellow Pages and newspapers to design their awful ads, etc. In other words, these people never used designers in the first place, and they still don't. They don't understand or appreciate good design, nor do they typically feel they have a need for it that justifies the cost. Instead, in recent years, they've started farming these previously hand-done, amateur efforts over to crowdsourcing sites on the Internet for a few dollars.

You can't make good money in this business by going after bottom feeders. That was true 30 years ago and it's true today. Design, by its very definition, means creating custom work, and this custom work typically means working with clients who have business needs for it and the means to pay for that level of service and quality. These higher-end clients know that good design means working closely with designers who engage them, consult with them, make recommendations and who take the time and put in the effort to understand their business challenges and their clients. This kind of design work and this level of service can't be obtained through a lowest-common-denominator crowdsourcing site.

To put it in perspective, when was the last time you hired a designer and a tailor to custom-make your clothing for you? Never, probably, right? Instead, you buy things from retailers who obtain their merchandise from factories that mass-produce thousands of copies of the same thing. The high-priced tailors in the expensive downtown shops aren't competing with J.C. Penney or Zappos for customers; they're catering to high-end clients who need and are willing to pay for custom-designed, high-quality work created with their unique needs in mind.

I'm just not at all sure how this notion developed over the past several years that our profession is suffering from work being taken away that we never had in the first place. As a designer, you're flat out wasting your time going after clients who see little value in your work. It's a bit like a trained chef complaining that McDonald's is cutting into his or her business.
            Last edited by B; 07-07-2017, 04:01 PM. Reason: Fix typos

Comment

• The other half of the equation is that today there are just too many schools putting out too many design students without skills to survive in the industry.
              The historical path for a junior designer was to join the staff of an agency or corporate marketing department and learn from more skilled designers. Only after maybe 10 years or so in that environment would a designer even consider going out freelancing.

Now, with thousands of new grads every year and nowhere for them to learn the actual skills they need, there are several thousands of young inexperienced designers out there trying to ''practice'' on these bottom feeder clients, from which they will learn nothing. The catch 22 is, without the experience, upper level clients aren't going to consider them. The whole trick is to get yourself out of the swamp. I don't know how today's student would do that, but it has to start while still in school. Current entry level designers at any agency or corporate gig are weeded out at a 4 year degree and 2 years of REAL WORLD experience. Students should be doing internships and part time jobs all through their college careers. Any college that can't place a student in a viable internship shouldn't even make the short list for consideration by the student looking for a school.

Used to be that talent and a great portfolio would get you in the door. Now? No sheepskin, no interview, except in very rare occurrences. Student freelancing doesn't count as experience. Freelancing after college? Depends. Business cards, fliers and one-off logos? Nope. Couldn't care less.
              It's a tough field. Always has been. The advent of computers makes people think they can play at drawing all day as a designer. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• mixlikes
                Reply to ​What is your favorite forum software?
                mixlikes
                Favorite forum software:
                1. phpBB
                2. MyBB
                3. Vanilla Forum
                4. XenForo
                5. Simple Machines Forum
                Today, 03:43 AM
              • Caleson
                Reply to Questions about Business Cards, Self Promotion
                Caleson
                Actually, I was referring to applying for employment. I'm kind of mixed on whether or not it would be a good idea, but I think overall, if the card is pretty creative, it could serve as a memorable token....
                Yesterday, 09:59 PM
              • fredz0003
                Logo critique for my personal blog
                fredz0003
                Hi, I am new to this forum. A bit about myself I am a programmer, and trying to build a professional looking blog. I've done web dev before, but I've never considered myself the artistic type. I followed...
                Yesterday, 04:57 PM
              • B
                Reply to Any Tech Geeks please help me?!
                B
                Of the options you mentioned, upgrading the RAM will make the most difference for the cost. Eight megabytes of RAM is almost a bare minimum when working with Adobe's graphics applications -- 16 is even...
                Yesterday, 04:56 PM
              • mrturner
                Any Tech Geeks please help me?!
                mrturner
                I am currently doing my graphics design work on my laptop which specs are listed below, It really does struggle to handle software like photoshop and illustrator. Do I, upgrade RAM? An 8GB ram stick for...
                Yesterday, 04:16 PM
              GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
              Working...
              X