Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When that happens, I immediately change the filename to what I want it to be.
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I was asked to send the logo files of a client to another shop so they can have some custom cheques printed (one of the few things we don't do for some reason); so I sent off the vector EPS file and a Press Ready PDF. After a few days I get an e-mail back:

"Thanks for the logos but I can't get them to work. Can you save them as a .bmp file?"

When you go with the lowest bidder you usually end up getting what you paid for...
      "No one ever called the fire department for doing something smart"
      - unknown

"There's never enough time to do it right; but there always seems to be enough time to do it twice!"
      - Me (not really, but I say it a lot)

Comment

Hiya FF!!! Good to see you

Comment

That is pretty odd, you would think somebody with the specialized and expensive equipt necessary to print checks would have a real prepress shop.

Comment

He probably means he can't open the files himself, not that the check printer can't use them. I've run across that from clients many times. "I can't open this." "You don't have to, just send it on."
            No cell phone, no Facebook, no iAnything. Am I missing something?

Comment

Client's friend designed a new logo and business cards for their company but since it needs bleed and 2 spot colours, their non-bleeding, RGB files will not work.

I quoted a price to recreate the logo and business card to work in 2 spots. While I was working on it, I noticed the text was set at 5pt so I also proofed an alternate version with the text set 7.5pt. I sent through 2 proofs.

Client got mad that I changed the font size and contacted my boss about how I changed the design – they didn't ask for an alternate version, so why did I send them two? Then they had the cheek to choose the larger font.
              It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

@Possumgal: This was directly from the cheque printer, sadly!

@Kitty: I'm always around, mostly lurking. I got a lot on my plate right now between work, the fire department and various side projects. I know this isn't the place to bring it up but I am 100% sold on these new forums. I've been doing a fair bit of back-end work with IPB Forum software for another community (part of my side project) so I can appreciate how hard it is to get various skins and scripts working but this place just doesn't seem to flow like it use to.

And in case that wasn't fun enough, I have this job on my desk that is for stationary (BCards, Envelopes, Letterhead), but it consists of
                Front (all):
                • Gold Foil
                • Silver Foil
                • Emboss
                • Deboss
                Back (all):
                • 4 colour process
                Finishing:
                • Fancy die cut edges (Bcards/Letterhead)
                • Foiling on the flap of the envelope
                It is almost like it was designed this way just because they could, not because it would be practical.
                - unknown

"There's never enough time to do it right; but there always seems to be enough time to do it twice!"

Comment

Have they seen the price tag yet - that sounds super spendy. Hopefully you are making a cut of the printing.
                  Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
                  http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Customer orders event tickets on a super tight deadline. He emails me 4 logos, 3 taken from the web and one that wouldn'™t open. I find out which one wouldn't open and find it in our archives. Mock up proof. Email. Get back email with a flyer they'™d had someone else design along with a very snarky phone call about œDidn'™t I think that all the collateral for this event should resemble each other????"

Apparently I was supposed to divine that not only was there other collateral, but also what it looked like.

Also the battery on my Blazer shorted out frying my alternator. $210.00 to diagnose and another $420.00 to repair. awesome.
                    Last edited by Lith; 06-26-2013, 04:26 PM.
                    I feel like a city kid who has stumbled into a town

Comment

I would have assumed so as well, but apparently they didn't like the vector EPS files I had; and specifically asked for them to be converted to BMP files. I actually felt somewhat dirty doing it!
                      - unknown

Comment

Yes, the old send you samples after you've sent a proof or printed the job trick. Love it.

Comment

Ermahgerd, I get that all the time.
                          Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Me: "The photo isn't that great. The subject's face is very washed out and lacks contrast."

Client: "Can you fix it?"

Me: "I should be able to color correct it, but I don't know what [boss] will charge you for the time."

Client: "Can you show me what it *would* look like if you fixed it?"

Me: *headdesk*

blog/portfolio

Comment

Yes, after you pay for the time it will take.

doh!!
                              Dribbble Page
                              Behance Portfolio
                              Linkedin Profile

Comment

Virgo: "Like this." *Points at any good color-corrected piece within sight*

Easy peasy!
                                This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                                "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                                Working...
                                X