Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things that make me forget I have a chain...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished a job for a client that I over quoted for (I quoted 7 hours design but it took 5) and found out that I my quote came than his regular designer. I'll be charging the full 7 hours of course. Client is happy with how it turned out and so am I.

Best thing is that I really enjoyed working on this project. I got full creative scope with it and the client listened and agreed with all my input. I'm thinking that timeline/infographic design is right up my alley and something that I wanna get into. Finding a new niche of design after years of designing is awesome.
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

• BJMRamage
      BJMRamage commented
      Editing a comment
      always good to find a new avenue in design.

• randomblink
      randomblink commented
      Editing a comment
      Can you share? I would love to see some work that someone was not only paid to do but proud of as well...

• Buda
      Buda commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry randomblink, it's not a freelance job so I can't share.

So, I just heard from a person at my previous employment (that laid me-and others off in January) that they are having a town hall and shutting down teh Palo Alto, CA office. Just this weekend I was doing freelance for them and created a business card for someone out there who was having an upcoming business mtg. holy smokes!!

Glad to be out of there now and in my new employment. I love the products I am designing for and everyone is nice.
    Dribbble Page
    Behance Portfolio
    Linkedin Profile

Comment

A gigantic lemon Italian ice on a 100+ degree day. I wonder .... do they make these outta scotch?
      Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

One of my less than tech savvy Facebook friends (who I also know irl) posts some pretty raunchy pr0n two or three times a week, including in the last hour. Cries of "I'VE BEEN HACKED!!!! I'VE BEEN HACKED!!!!!" always follow quickly.

So far I think he's been "hacked" about 20 times in the last few months. Makes me laugh
        I feel like a city kid who has stumbled into a town

Comment

• KitchWitch
          KitchWitch commented
          Editing a comment
          Um, yeah. "I don't think that word means what you think it means."

• Lith
          Lith commented
          Editing a comment
          He's even gone all Crazy Amy and went from I've notified the police to I'M GOING TO HIRE A HACKER TO HACK THEM!

too funny

• Red Kittie Kat
          Red Kittie Kat commented
          Editing a comment
          Not only an idiot ... but a whack-a-doodle too!

This was an amusing end to my day. A friend signed us up for a sewing class in August, but I couldn't remember the time. I was trying to google the location to see a class schedule. When I got the search results, a small map was showing the place, and I wanted to make sure I had the right location. So I clicked on the map to see a larger one and got this. I am located in the Midwest, United States, so yeah, Belgium would be the next logical choice. Oostroozebeke, here I come!

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

• Red Kittie Kat
          Red Kittie Kat commented
          Editing a comment
          Ooh Road Trip! There's no place like Oostroozebeke!

haha!

Had a customer leave us for cheaper pastures. She came back in the other day with changes to the job that caused the split. Her changes were made on the inserts they got from cheapassprinting.com or where ever. They look like absolute shit. Some bleed, some don't (all are supposed to.) Two color job (032 & reflex) looks like 4 different colors (2 diff blue and 2 diff red.) Leading is ALLLL over the place. They just look horrible. Makes Lith a happy boy

Comment

• Buda
          Buda commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh yeah, that feels good.

Yep, I bet that makes you feel real good, Lith!
        This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
        "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

I think that this is the first day before holidays/extended time away from the office that I'm not going to be late leaving work!
          Design is not decoration.

Comment

They raised my cable bill 10$ a month. I was paying $75/mo for basic cable (less than 60 channels) and one DVR (with 60 hours of storage.) Just got DIRECTV hooked up today. 150+ channels and a DVR that I can record to from both TV's (with 4000 hours of storage), free movie channels for 3 months, and one season of NFL Sunday Ticket (all the games every weekend) for about ten dollars less a month. And I can set DVR to record and watch what's recorded on it from my phone

Comment

• Kool
              Kool commented
              Editing a comment
              Heh heh, I'm just about ready to go back to cable where I can get more of everything I have now with DISH plus the movies and such for less. Then in a few years I'll switch again. It amuses me how much these places will give to steal another ones customer but will give nothing to keep the customers they already have .

• Lith
              Lith commented
              Editing a comment
              I was thinking the same thing, I told Cable One I was thinking about leaving and their response was to give me the address to drop the DVR I have now off at.

We have a DirecTv call center here in town. One of my buddies girlfriends worked there for years, (in addition to the Qwest call center we had, and now she works at the Allstate call center. I guess it's her niche.) She knows the ropes to get them to give you whatever their current new customer offer is once the deal you're on is up. She said she'd teach me

• Bladez
              Bladez commented
              Editing a comment
              Our cable provider is the absolute shits, and there's only 2 to choose from in western Canada (unless you want to cancel all together and switch over to satellite) and we're constantly phoning and fighting with them (like when they introduced some new channels, that we're paying for, and it had a different level of encoding. We got sound but no picture, because our cable box didn't support the new encoding...but they didn't tell anyone that you had to upgrade the box.) As soon as you threaten to leave, they try to make things right somehow. As we owned our cable box, not rented, they offered to give us a new cable box, and not charge us a rental fee for two years. In the next two years, you can bet we'll call them again about something and once again threaten to move over to appleTV or something and see what they say. Eventually they won't be able to offer us enough to keep us on board and we'll tell 'em to pack sand.

A happy client just sent me a huge "Thank You" basket of wine, cheese, sausage fruit and nuts!! Happy Friday!!
            Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

• Virgo Nightingale
              Virgo Nightingale commented
              Editing a comment
              Awesome! I was thinking just last night how I'd love to have a dinner of wine, cheese, meats and fruit.

• PanToshi
              PanToshi commented
              Editing a comment
              I am a very lucky designer!!

• Drazan
              Drazan commented
              Editing a comment
              Those kind of thank you's, are the best.

(now you made me hungry)

not a basket of goodies here but got an email from the department head (sent to me and the whole department and her boss) saying my latest design uses "best practices" and that I "took it to a new level"..."Amazing artistic talent! Great job! Thanks for going the extra mile"

Pretty cool to hear that.
            BTW, it was a Back-to-school email and I drew the type/scanned it/inverted the colors and made it look like chalk-drawn type on a blackboard (well a green board)
            Dribbble Page
            Behance Portfolio
            Linkedin Profile

Comment

• PanToshi
              PanToshi commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice kudos! It's always nice to hear your efforts are noticed and appreciated!

• BJMRamage
              BJMRamage commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, brand wrote back to the Digital Mktg Manager of the brand (on my team) and said the email/type seemed childish and not something that would be good for their intended audience.

Well, our Digital Mktg manager was pissed and cussing up a storm saying the design was good and chalkboards are a universal back-to-school idea and was about to send a 'nasty' email but thought to talk to her boss first before sending it out.

yikes!

I had an interesting time at work today. I got to tag along with a bunch of zoologists and ornithologists to document a pelican banding expedition to the almost-never-visited Gunnison Island in the northern arm of the Great Salt Lake. Many thousands of pelicans lay eggs all over the island since no predators exist there. To protect the pelicans, the State of Utah prohibits anyone from setting foot on the island without specific permission from the state which is almost never given except to about 20 research scientists two or three times each year.

In addition, the island is very difficult to get to. The water surrounding the island is composed of about 28 percent salt (compared to about 3.5 percent for ocean water). As a result, boats that aren't specially fitted for the dense water float too high to operate and, anyway, the high concentrations of disolved minerals in the water are quite corrosive.

Because of the extremely high salinity, there are no boats (except ours today), no fish, no animal or plant life of any kind. The only thing that lives in this thick soupy solution is a species of sulphur-eating bacteria and red algae that has turned the entire northern arm of the lake a weird reddish, pinkish maroon color. Since no fish live in the lake, the pelicans have to travel 50 to 80 miles each way to find food or, for that matter, water to drink.

Comment

• Buda
              Buda commented
              Editing a comment
              Amazing! Is the soupy mineral water good for the skin?

• B
              B commented
              Editing a comment
              "Is the soupy mineral water good for the skin?"

I don't think so. The water in the southern part of the Great Salt Lake is much less salty and people sometimes float in it (it's impossible to sink). The northern part of the lake, where these photos were taken, however, has such high salt concentrations that I'm guessing that it would sting like crazy to get it in your eyes and shrivel up a person's skin to look like a prune. It's fairly nasty stuff.

• Typically
              Typically commented
              Editing a comment
              awesome photos! doesn't look like a bad day to be on the lake even if you can't swim in it.

This just made me laugh today. It may go into the Hall of Fame at my office: We put out a quarterly publication for a local association, have been for a little over a year now. I laid out an article, and put in a comp istock photo as a place holder until the article was edited/approved. Got the edits back today...told us to "remove the word istock from over the picture"

*headdesk*

All I can do is shake my head and laugh.
            Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
            | Karl Marx |

A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.
            | Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

• kemingMatters
              kemingMatters commented
              Editing a comment
              ... just about every time I put an FPO comp in a layout I get asked if the watermark will be removed, the response is in an FAQ (frequently answered questions) sheet I maintain to save myself from typing it out.

When I stop working and gaze a moment out the window....and a huge bald eagle flies by. Like literally buzz the tower flyby. so cool.

Comment

reading this thread has put a smile on my face
              thanks!

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Craig B
                Reply to Help me explaining my job in my portfolio!
                Craig B
                I think what you described is fairly typical of most jobs. I'm not saying it's identical but I do web design, email design, interactive apps, collateral, booth graphics, signage, posters, advertising,...
                Today, 10:46 AM
              • Colton819
                Reply to Getting a image ready for print
                Colton819
                So I tried doing Pantone colors but obviously they just couldn’t match close enough. The image I posted is actually a vector format I created a raster format then converted to vector in illustrator. I...
                Today, 08:47 AM
              • leaagg
                Help me explaining my job in my portfolio!
                leaagg
                Hello,

I am a French designer working for a Turkish company (in turkey).
                I am now currently working on my updated portfolio because my main goal is QUIT !! The working conditions in...
                Today, 07:57 AM
              • PrintDriver
                Reply to Tours Travel company logo, what do you think?
                PrintDriver
                Do people still use QR codes?
                Two phones ago I downloaded an app just to check that a client's QR code was linking properly when printed. 4 years later now, and that app has never been used again....
                Today, 07:06 AM
              • PrintDriver
                Comment on Getting a image ready for print
                PrintDriver
                Way too much sharing there, hank..........
                Today, 06:51 AM
              GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
              Working...
              X