I really need help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really need help

don't know what to do anymore, I just need help. This will be kind of long...

I've been working at this place for about four months now, got out of school recently. Our main boss (the owner) sets (what I feel to be) unrealistic deadlines - a working mobile site in 30-45 days, including design and development. Our developers get the brunt of it. He once asked them "why is it taking you 2-3 weeks when one of my former developers could do it it in 2-3 days?" - nevermind that this guy was a genius and things were much simpler.

If the customer got more than one product, the site comes first, and everything else would follow along to fit the style. He asked us once where I was with design, and I told him this - we've been doing it like this for some time. He snidely replied "so they're going to have a nice mobile site and a crappy website in the meantime?"

Now, I've barely been there four months and they want me to start with project management, along with my other work - with no mention of raise or even benefits.

I don't know if this is normal for this kind of work, or I'm in a shitty place. I feel like I should be stronger, but morale it seems has been going down, and sometimes I feel like I have more work than hours. Recently the developers were asked to stay an extra hour, and even though I don't have to, I end up doing it, because sometimes work would spill into after hours or weekend.

I don't know what to do anymore, it feels like my soul has been drained, but I don't know if this is normal or not. On the other hand, almost every day, I wish I could think of a way to not go into work at all. I'm so angry at myself, thinking maybe this isn't for me, but I don't want to say I wasted years at school.

If his genius former developer was so great, why isn't he there anymore? Usually when somebody compares a present employee to a former employee and makes him sound like a saint, you'll soon find out he wasn't.

If you're asked to take on more work and you're paid hourly, go ahead. Paying overtime may soon get the boss thinking in a different direction. If you're on salary, ask about more compensation for managing projects.

It sounds like you got a bummer of a place your first time out, but it happens. One good thing is that you can look for another job while you're working there, and the experience will help down the road. Don't let this get you down. You didn't waste years at school, and this isn't the way all your workplaces will be. Don't judge the profession by this one experience.
    No cell phone, no Facebook, no iAnything. Am I missing something?

Comment

• onedear
      onedear commented
      Editing a comment
      I think he left because he was offered more, and not to mention he had almost everything dumped onto him because of his quick turnaround time.

I think its not so much the work, but the expectation. Even one developer asked "why can't we focus on one project at a time?" and he replied that it wasn't profitable. I understand, but at the same time when we end up getting behind because something was missed or broken, then it's not really our fault.

Some people have been saying "maybe this work isn't for you" but I just don't know if I could just suck it up or I really am in a shitty place. I really like all my coworkers, but sometimes it does feel like there is an air of discontent. The worst part is that I'm technically the only graphics person right now, along with doing any CMS editing that isn't too much code.

Sounds like an asshole to work for. If he cannot set realistic deadlines, it might be time to look for a new job.

Legally, do you have to agree to do overtime? Around here, it's optional and you certainly can't lose your job for not agreeing to it. Most people do overtime because of the extra cash. I know I do. But if you're not being compensated for it, then screw that.
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

• onedear
      onedear commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, he asked the developers to stay an extra hour, but I don't know if they are being paid per hour. I was told I didn't have to, but sometimes I do to get things done.

This recent thing, I wasn't told I would get a raise for it. I don't know if I should ask or not, since I was told I would be getting benefits when I started, and no wind of that now, and they sort of half-assed an email with days off recently.

Today was the final straw, i think...

I stayed home because I had terrible cramps, but I still had to work from home. That's fine and all, but I was told to take my time but things had to be done tomorrow morning.

I was told to rearrange a page with links on our screwy CMS, but I hardly know anything about HTML or CSS.

Now I'm worried that every place I'm going to go into is going to be as shitty

Comment

Take a deep breath! I know all about shitty work places! My first advice is always to try your best to stick to it for 6 months to a year. There are two reasons for this: 1) a large part of your stress might be from inexperience and the new-ness (that's a word right? :P) of the work environment. With time you learn how to handle certain situations and you might actually reasonably enjoy your job. And just like you are getting used to things your boss might get more used to your working style or will often end up appreciating you more and more for the good work you do and might ease up on you a bit. 2) Even if none of these improvements really take place in that time, you will still learn the valuable lesson on how to deal with crazy bosses and unreasonable people in general! This is really a VERY useful skill!

If after all this time, things haven't changed, go and find another job. It really doesn't sound like the TYPE of work is the problem. It sounds like the problem is with the boss!

Comment

While it sounds like the company you work for has some real project time management issues, it isn't at all unusual in this industry to be working on more than 1 project at a time. Right now I'm on the production team for 11 different projects. Last week it was 16.

Deadlines are also a way of life. If a project is on a drop dead delivery schedule, you work from home if sick or when the furnace needs repair or the cat has to go to the vet. You might be on call to your print vendors all over the country until 9pm if a critical project is underway. You might pull an all-nighter to get critical software operational on a website that absolutely has to go online on a certain date. You may have to meet with clients halfway across the country on a moment's notice in order to finalize details of a project.

Graphic design is a Service Industry.

On the compensation end, maybe your boss is testing you to see how much you'll put up with. More responsibility means more money. I'd ask for the raise and about the benefits you were offered with the job. They can only say no. But if they do, be prepared to counter with a time for reconsideration. Also you yourself might need to be prepared to say no. It is very telling that your boss let a very good employee go when that employee was offered more money elsewhere. He may not be willing to pay what people are worth.

In the meantime, I know you are new, but you seem to have a rapport with the developers. Is there any way you can all analyze the situation and figure out what needs to be done in order to more streamline your project timelines. Just because something is "always done this way," doesn't mean there isn't a better way.

Comment

Zombie thread... close to a year old...
          Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

• janetm1000
            janetm1000 commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry, that was me reviving it... My bad!
            :-/

lame, it sounded like my work. My advice was going to be epic.... (off to the next one). You should really close these. (isn't there an option? I thought there was one in phpppbpppp)
          Last edited by John G; 04-27-2014, 08:05 AM.

Comment

If your job description requires you to know HTML or CSS but somehow you got the job anyway, you really need to take your learning into your own hands.

If your boss finds out that you do not have the skills that are expected of your position, you can say buh-bye to your job.

Management often have no idea of how longs things should take, who is cutting corners and which projects are more in-depth than others.

Once you have earned your stars, by proving you can do the work, you can start telling them what deadlines are impossible, which clients are being difficult etc.

If you think you can do better elsewhere, then find a new job. But if you are unwilling to learn or to keep up with the others in your workplace, you will fail.
            It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

• John G
              John G commented
              Editing a comment
              Psst.read KitchWitch's post. I'm glad I wasn't the only one

Would be interesting to know if the OP is still there.
            LOL.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Faye F. Cagle
              Reply to Work from UK for an US company
              Faye F. Cagle
              I think it shouldn't be a problem since you will be working remotely. You can get the wages in USA bank account to avoid tax issues in the UK. It may depend on what visa category your are applying in...
              Today, 02:05 PM
            • Biggs097
              Reply to Poster for a school project
              Biggs097
              Bring the type together. Unify the typography. Something like this. Just an idea.
              Today, 01:10 PM
            • seamas
              Reply to Poster for a school project
              seamas
              Two out of three of the performers were brutally murdered (and hated each other).

That's NOT a fun party.
              Today, 01:07 PM
            • seamas
              Reply to Please critique my jazz poster
              seamas
              Definitely a do-over.

One problem is you have too many quotation marks. You don't need them.

Also, when listing the band members, you should not have Milou on one line, then...
              Today, 11:21 AM
            • KitchWitch
              Reply to Trouble using DMV website? check it out
              KitchWitch
              Hi Yizh0x81 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
              Today, 08:42 AM
            GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X