Your Bad Career/Business Investments.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Bad Career/Business Investments.

Anyone care to share their worst career/business investments in either time, money or both? I try not to invest too much time learning tech skills that might become obsolete, but I guess some of the lessons crossover to other technologies. Most of my bad career/business investments have been software purchases that are still in shrink rap years later.

No takers? Am I the only one who makes mistakes; or am I the only one willing to admit them?

Comment

Retrospectively, I could now say Flash and actionScript since I haven't used/looked at either in almost 2 years, but they made me a lot of money when they were more relevant. Same goes for Quark except it's been a jolly good 4+ years since I purged it from my system, although I would call that a waste because the hate I developed for quark has made me somewhat more tolerant of Adobe.

Outside of that, the biggest waste of money was probably the Mighty Mouse...
      Last edited by kemingMatters; 09-30-2013, 04:31 PM.
      Design is not decoration.

Comment

• kemingMatters
        kemingMatters commented
        Editing a comment
        That should have said wouldn't...

There are certainly lots of tools that while relevant at the time, are no longer used today - but I can't say they were a waste necessarily.
      Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

I guess they aren't a waste if the earnings from the investment paid for the investment cost and then some.

Comment

Sure, things like Quark for example. Made its money during its time and then some. I do wish I had forgone those annoying plastic bins I thought would be good for storage. Good thing I only bought 2.
          Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

• designzombie
            designzombie commented
            Editing a comment
            It's been 10 years since the last version of Quark I've purchased, and I never used it on a paying job.

I estimate I've probably spent 4 to 5K on unused software over the years. But my biggest waste of money was going to a specialized art college that didn't offer general ed at the time, when I could have gone to a university for less money and gotten the same recognition or more.

Comment

The local Chamber of Commerce. Worthless, I got no clients or business from it, all I got was junk mail from other businesses peddling their wares. (And why are there so many financial advisors in those things?) It hurts me to this day to think that I could of had $300 worth of tacos instead.

Comment

• designzombie
              designzombie commented
              Editing a comment
              lol

• PrintDriver
              PrintDriver commented
              Editing a comment
              You should be doing what those financial advisers are doing.

Probably a processor upgrade I paid for a few years back to turn my Mac Digital Audio from a 533 mhz plodder to a 1 ghz speed demon. It killed the old hard drive, I got a new one, but then the system wouldn't install. Being on a deadline, I had to buy a new used Quicksilver. Then I found out that while the DA liked the new RAM I had put in it a year before, it wouldn't install a system from scratch unless it had only the factory installed RAM. I just sold the processor upgrade on eBay for about one tenth what I paid for it.
            No cell phone, no Facebook, no iAnything. Am I missing something?

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X