Typically good client, worst project ever

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typically good client, worst project ever

Backstory: I design graphics for a sign and wrap company. They pay well, provide steady work, and are generally nice people. However, they don't know the first thing about design or Adobe, so they occasionally drive me up the wall. Usually, they meet with the clients and hand me a brief for me to complete.

Project: To redesign their personal logo.

Rant: It's been three weeks, and 40 designs so far. They have "changed" their company name 4 times mid-project. They handed me a design from their old logo and company name that seriously only belonged on a hotdog stand in Coney Island and announced that they wanted something like that. They have been paying me for my time spent on this project so far, but it's taking up so much of my time and energy. Plus, I don't know if I have it in me to design such a horrible graphic like they want. Is that snobby? I'm seriously starting to question my whole relationship with the company in the first place.

Some people's taste is found only in their mouth and sometime horrible cheap looking graphics resonate with the target market. You should be able to add your spin to it to make it ugly but not horridly designed.

The four names nonsense is frustrating. I probably would have put my foot down at the first name change. I guess some people like to piss money away.
    Design is not decoration.

Comment

Is this for the printwrap company or one of their clients?
      You can't blame your source for their clients' issues.

Comment

This is for the wrap company itself. That's why its making me reevaluate my whole position with them.

Comment

I'd first re-evaluate your method of dealing with ornery clients. Like Kem said, at the first name change, that is a sign of trouble that you need to tactfully deal with. If this company is paying well and provides a lot of work for you, do you really want to toss that?
          Set up a meeting with whoever is making this business decision.Give them some guidance on how they should approach rebranding themselves. Sounds like they need it. That's part of your job as a designer.. Explain, if necessary, that your contract on this project was for "this" and now they want "that" and "that" and "that". If they are paying for it, I'm not seeing the issue here. Time = money. Compensation = Profit.
          If they aren't paying for it, you need to put a stop to it in a way that won't lose you the business they send you.

I find it very hard to believe that a sign and wrap company knows very little about Adobe. You have to be an intuitive wizard sometimes to get things to print properly on the various rips and machines. Not to mention sorting out the files clients (other than you) send to them. It isn't about "knowing Adobe." It's about knowing the theories of design and marketing. That's where you come in.
          Last edited by PrintDriver; 08-26-2014, 06:58 AM.

Comment

People changing names of companies, programs and events midway through the project need a considerable reality check.

I'm in house, but I do considerable branding of programs and events and I am astonished at how often a promotion will be complete and I'll get the "one tiny final edit" of changing the program name --which has essentially been given a logo-like amount of attention from me.
            From their perspective, they just think it is a matter of editing text.
            My favorite is when they change it from a short simple name to something much larger--then wonder why it doesn't have the same "pop".
            Keep Saturn in Saturnalia.

Comment

• kemingMatters
              kemingMatters commented
              Editing a comment
              Please change "THE EVENT!" to "THE EVENT WITH A RIDICULOUS NAME SO LONG THAT PEOPLE ARE CONFUSED BY THE TIME THEY'VE DECIDED TO STOP LOOKING AT THE POSTER" That should make it better!

• seamas
              seamas commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly.

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Biggs097
            Reply to Poster for a school project
            Biggs097
            Yeah, it's looking a bit drab.

Find a nice high-res photo of a beach on a royalty-free site. Lose the transparency, the photo doesn't need to be washed out, just find a vibrant beach scene...
            Today, 12:02 PM
          • B
            Reply to A question about advancing education
            B
            Here's a paraphrased version of an actual conversation I had with our HR department a few months back. Seriously.

Me -- "How many job applicants did we receive for the open position?"...
            Today, 11:45 AM
          • designzombie
            designzombie
            Certifications might make the difference when choosing between 2 seemingly equally qualified candidates with equally impressive portfolios. But that's only after all other qualifications such as 4-year...
            Today, 11:19 AM
          • HotButton
            Reply to Poster for a school project
            HotButton
            And for a beach party, I'm sure you can do better than this photo of a pier.
            Today, 10:04 AM
          • KitchWitch
            KitchWitch
            Hi Roland198 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
            Today, 09:25 AM
          GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
          Working...
          X