X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else only have a diploma¿?

Not a bachelors or associates.
    Just a diploma.

I tried going for my bachelors but didn't pass candacy. Too slow paced, and I'm not original enough. I can copy and paste the heck out of the designs but I can't seem to create anything new thing on my own.

I've had one job which my instructor helped me get. It lasted only a year and the place shut down. It was good money and also great first experience.
    Since then I've had a couple of unpaid freelance projects.

The future is depressing though when looking for a job I see everyone is requiring a bacheleors. I recently applied to two very major companies that didn't have the bachelors requirement listed as a hiring requirement.

I'm currently sitting on pins and needles waiting for a response. Its been a week.

I just feel like I'm not good enough compared to everyone who has their bachelors. I'm depressed because I live in the inner city where we have a major gang problem and I'm expected as a graphic designer to have a level of education up there with people who have study for 4 years in order to get a job. I know that might not make much sense to but that's just my reality. Gives me anxiety.

I was jumped/ beat up in the institution where I received my diploma and somehow I managed to get Student of the Year and I have this really cool plaque.

I'm currently learning HTML and CSS and because I want the people to see what I can do. I might not be original but I am a graphic designer; I just don't feel like the opportunity is out there for me.

What do you think? Is anything possible in this field?

If you can't be creative, be productive. There are probably more openings in the production end of design than in the design end.
    Production artist, print production, signage production, press line production. All of them can be arts unto themselves. If you let it.
    I work print production with a BA in Illustration and Design. Not because I can't design but because I don't want the pressure and I'm not exactly what you'd call a "people person." LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
      ...I'm not exactly what you'd call a "people person." LOL.
      You know, it's a little off-topic, but the whole extroverted personality thing is really an issue that tends to be neglected when people discuss design careers.

So many people go into design because they like to focus on their ideas, get into their own spaces and come up with ideas. The stereotype is often one of designers preferring to be alone in darkened rooms with their headphones on and blocking out most everything around them while working (which I'm actually doing right now ).

This isn't always true, of course, but it's often not all that far off from being the case. Unfortunately, really being successful in this field often involves getting other people onboard with ideas, convincing them to take a chances, and selling oneself and your expertise to those who might be hesitant to let go of preconceived notions.

I'm not exactly a people person either. I'm not anti-social or anything like that, but I tend to be reserved around others then speak my mind in ways that often seem to rub people the wrong way. In all likelihood, it's been the biggest impediment in my career. I sort of resent the social butterflies who seem to skate through life so easily and with so little substance behind their charming personalities. Even so, it's just sort of the way the world works.

Comment

I also have just a Diploma in Graphic Design. It might be tough to get jobs, but I never have a moment to stop either. Creativity can be unlocked, by making some effort. I'm taking other courses and training in areas that I like, and trying to get back to university.

Comment

Good news. I received a call from a media outlet asking me if I know Adobe CS6.
          Called back and told them I do.

Bad news. 3 days no response back. Their looking for an animator.

Pins and needles I say. Pins and needles.

Comment

Spoke too soon. Omg I received an email; I'm still being considered!

Comment

Hi Frodo and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
              Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Job hunting is probably one of the most stressful things you can do in life (at least on our comfy side of the world). The job hunt is a numbers game, just like online dating.

Comment

Keeping my fingers crossed for you, Frodo. Don't give up - your skills are valuable. Maybe you need to look at a different job title than Graphic Designer. Studio artworker, Mac operator, etc. all use the software you are familiar with. These jobs are often found in small print shops rather than design houses.
                  Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Comment

Print shops are generally more forgiving when it comes to not having a diploma than agencies and the like, especially the smaller ones. You also will probably have a more diversified job with one, such as running a digital press, helping in bindery when needed, etc.
                    No cell phone, no Facebook, no iAnything. Am I missing something?

Comment

This is something I've been struggling with for years. I don't have a degree. I do have 25 years of experience though. But, I regularly get passed up for jobs because I don't have a degree. These days, companies look for a degree as their first screening process. No degree =no interview.
                      http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

I have a degree from one of the top universities in the UK for Design. I can promise you that the job search is no easier when you have one. It's your portfolio that matters at the end of the day. If you have a solid portfolio of innovative and creative projects, noone's going to be bothered whether or not you have a degree or not.

If you're scared that someone in HR will write you off before a creative gets a chance to look at your work, just bypass them. Do the research. Through LinkedIn and a company's website you can normally work out the email of address of a designer / creative director. Email them direct. They'll probably appreciate the effort put in.

Good work outweighs a good degree in our industry, every time.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisDudley View Post
                          I have a degree...
                          I can promise you that the job search is no easier when you have one.
                          Uhm...okay, having a degree might not make it "easier," but job hunting in the US without one is certainly harder.

My story already posted in an older thread...
                          I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

• HotButton
                            HotButton commented
                            Editing a comment
                            "but I have always been led to believe that the degree isn't as important as talent/know-how in graphic design..."

Here, without a degree, it's not likely anyone will ever know whether you've got any talent or know-how.

• StudioMonkey
                            StudioMonkey commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I only have a Higher Diploma and it has never held me back. Not giving a chance to those without a degree says more about the employer than anything else. I went for an interview once and they were impressed by my portfolio. At the end they said 'wait - you don't have a degree - that might be a problem'. They offered me the job anyway (at a reduced salary) and I turned it down.

• misplacedVTer
                            misplacedVTer commented
                            Editing a comment
                            @StudioMonkey
                            The problem is that most places get SO many applications for a job posting that automatically weeding out the people without a degree becomes a way to pare the number down to something more manageable. I don't deny the fact that there are very talented people out there who either never had a chance or never saw the need to go to school for a design degree however seeing that someone has completed a program at an art school tells me that they can at least function in a structured environment and get work done in a timely fashion.

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                        Working...
                        X