Remaking a logo should be free?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remaking a logo should be free?

I keep getting clients that "already have a logo". Well they almost always seem to have gone to one of those $5 a logo things and end up with a low res JPEG. For some reason they think that I should rebuild it for use in their layouts for free. It's more than annoying at this point, I would imagine most designers are having this problem?

Never had this issue, I might just use layout time to correct the issue and what's left is time to do the layout if they do not want to pay extra to have their logo rendered in vector. Of course give them the option of using it as is, maybe even give them a print out to show them how it will look if used as a jpeg if the production method will support it.

I might consider being more explicit in your quotes and include a list of contingencies that are assumed at the point of quoting, one of which would be the appropriate file formats of supplied logos. If the contingencies aren't met then the quote is void.
    Design is not decoration.

Comment

Excellent advice, sometimes I miss the obvious.
      Last edited by Cyclops G; 08-11-2015, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclops G View Post
        60% of the time I miss it everytime
        Sig material.
        I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

• kemingMatters
          kemingMatters commented
          Editing a comment
          60% of the time, it works every time. - Brian Fantana, Channel 4 News

I'm just going to answer the question posed in your subject line and the answer is NO.

Comment

If you provide a professional service to your client, your client should pay for it.

You need to let the client know in a direct but polite way that you aren't working for them for spiritual enrichment.
          Keep Saturn in Saturnalia.

Comment

We're not shy about telling our client they need to send us a vector image. If they do not have one, we're not shy about charging them the system time needed to recreate the logo for them. Time is money. That is, if it can be recreated. I've had more than one occasion where part of the logo was a raster image. They were SOL and ended up just using their logo type with no bug. The raster didn't go large enough to do a print.

It's still amazing to me that designers (using the term loosely) still think that putting a jpg file into Illustrator and saving it as a .ai makes it a cuttable vector file. Don't they learn not to do that on day one in college?

I had a couple other atrocities turn up last week. A logo as a .psb file. It was certainly large enough at about 3 gigs... But not cuttable.
            And another one with all kinds of white shapes covering up other shapes so just the right color shapes would show. That one took me nearly 20 minutes to do all the sorting and make it cuttable.

My latest pet peeve is gradient boxes. Somewhere someone has to have made a tutorial that says to use clipping masks on box gradients when creating a logo. I've seen probably a half dozen logos created that way in the last several months. Please. Don't.
            If your logo does not look like your logo when viewed in Outline View, you are doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post

It's still amazing to me that designers (using the term loosely) still think that putting a jpg file into Illustrator and saving it as a .ai makes it a cuttable vector file. Don't they learn not to do that on day one in college?
              From what I see from some contributors here over the years, it would seem that there are numerous designers who managed to graduate while producing EVERYTHING in Photoshop.

Maybe a moment here and there in InDesign or Illustrator, but certainly no course hours in drawing or printmaking or any of the other traditional arts.

I don't know how many times the argument that they should use appropriate software / format is met with some wall of resistance--"I work quicker in PS", etc.
              Keep Saturn in Saturnalia.

Comment

About three years ago now, I noticed a lot more things inappropriately done in Photoshop.
                The Sig generation had arrived. The kids who had grown up doing "graphics" in Photoshop all their lives.

Comment

Yep. Done and dusted.

In fact, doing things properly is now a liability. LOL
                  Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

I know one of those who does everything in photoshop (even catalogues), and saves the "high resolution pictures" in png... and always uses the logos in png as well... (yes, for print)... and uses downloaded "free templates" instead of properly designing... the list goes on.
                    Last edited by Momoshy; 08-13-2015, 06:02 PM.

Comment

I also love the ones that save a .JPEG as an .eps or .ai. Good times...good times

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclops G View Post
                        I keep getting clients that "already have a logo". Well they almost always seem to have gone to one of those $5 a logo things and end up with a low res JPEG...
                        Aside from the technical issues of a JPG being used where a vector format is needed, I'd also be leery of using anything that came from a $5 thing. One of the things I put in all of my contracts is that the client cannot hold me responsible for using any supplied artwork or assets for which the client does not own the rights. And with so many ripped-off logos coming out of these 5-buck services, the logo itself could be included in that clause.

If I were going to vectorize a logo that the client supplied to me, I'd be sure that the contract includes language that keeps me out of trouble if the logo was indeed a forgery and the actual owner of the logo gets involved.
                        Last edited by EmberMike; 09-14-2015, 04:00 PM.

Comment

• Finkdaddy
                          Finkdaddy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That is excellent advice. Thank you for mentioning it.

• PrintDriver
                          PrintDriver commented
                          Editing a comment
                          As a printer that clause is in all of our contracts. Because if you have ever read the EULA on most stock images, they hold the designer and the printer liable for any damages of any kind. That pesky "indemnity clause." We put it all back on the designer/end client, where the responsibility for sourcing adequate licensing belongs. It's rare that we'd question a client on their sources, we aren't the copyright police, but it's within our right to do so, especially if there is something obviously questionable.

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• mixlikes
                        Reply to How they did the drawings like this?
                        mixlikes
                        For perfect drawing, you need to learn photoshop so that you can give a nice texture to an image. There are lots of tools to edit an image that can be used for many purposes....
                        Today, 02:27 AM
                      • hank_scorpio
                        Reply to I apparently "need" to get a new laptop.
                        hank_scorpio
                        Don't have the new mac book pro.

What type of software are you using? Is it specific for the Mac? What type of work are you doing?

Do you really need a Mac? You can put together...
                        Today, 12:59 AM
                      • Magical Unicorn
                        I apparently "need" to get a new laptop.
                        Magical Unicorn
                        The laptop I'm writing this post on is *calculating in head* going on 7 years old. It's a well loved 13" white MacBook from when I started high school in 2010. I've vehemently stated that I don't...
                        Yesterday, 11:38 PM
                      • B
                        Reply to Please review my -responsive design- website
                        B
                        As for content, an obvious addition would be the inclusion of several good before-and-after samples of audio that you've cleaned up.
                        Yesterday, 06:54 PM
                      • RMo
                        Reply to Please review my -responsive design- website
                        RMo
                        Hey,

some quick things:
                        • your page is just a tiny bit too wide. There is a scrollbar at the bottom. That shouldn't be there
                        • add a favicon
                        • there is a massive amount of space after loading
                        Yesterday, 03:18 PM
                      GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                      Working...
                      X