My position was TERMINATED!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My position was TERMINATED!!!

Since this is the place to vent, I will vent.
    My position of web developer/graphic artist was eliminated! They want to send my job to worker overseas to do it cheaper and faster. I know the reason is I just want not pushing work out fast enough. I started the job with a few struggles. After all, I had not worked full time in many years. But I really did come up to speed! Yes, when a new issue would come up there was a lapse of time that went by before I got the answer to an issue. My last issue was CSS. I guess that did me in. The job lasted six months and a few weeks. It's strange how they wanted to get me a new computer. Then they wanted to just add ram to my computer. Than, one day, without warning, my position was terminated. Everyone there is very nice. They said I could use them as a reference. I even got a call from the CEO and he said how sorry he was that they had to let me go. I could use him as a reference as well.

That sucks, sorry to hear this.

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear this. On to better things!

Comment

Sorry to hear the bad news.
        Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Wow, that really sucks. I'm sorry. Your employer will probably find out soon enough that he's going to get exactly what he's looking for - fast and cheap crap.
          Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Well don't burn any bridges, never know when you will run into someone from that job again in a new capacity. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling a bit angry on how bad they treated me by letting me go without any warning. They could of at least told me they planned on letting me go in a week and to start seeking a new position. But they didn't do that. They went from planning to possibly get me a new computer, to updating my ram to letting me go without warning at the end of a day! Given the hard work and dedication I gave them, I didn't deserve that.

Don't get me wrong. Everyone at this company was first rate! Everyone was professional! And I don't plan on burning any bridges. I was told by my manager I could use him as a reference. In addition, the CEO called me after I was let go to tell me how badly he felt about having to let me go. I could use him as a reference. And I get an A++ for dedication. But the job was not a good fit. I disagree. I was a good worker! I have the work to prove it. Sure, I ran into issues. I admit that. But I overcame those issues and got the work done! In the end, there were more issues I ran into such as finding something to change in CSS. But this was something new that I just could not get the answer for online. Having said that, I was making the other changes in CSS very quickly. And they see that. I just find it interesting that once these projects were done I was let go. It's almost as if they wanted these jobs to be done and had it planned to let me go from the beginning. I really don't know

Sure, I could always work faster. But as I stated, I did come up to speed. I made a lot of progress. So what I ask now is how can I prevent being let go again. I know success in the creative sector of web design means working quickly and correctly. What is your secret on picking up new skills quickly and efficiently so the boss is impressed.

I have so many questions I want to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by AdobePro View Post
                What is your secret on picking up new skills quickly and efficiently so the boss is impressed.
                Practice more. Practice on your own time. Practice during "quiet" time at work. Take a class. Take a bunch of classes. Read more about the new technologies in the field. Keep practicing and getting familiar with the tools, techniques and work-arounds. Practice some more. Take a few more classes. Practice more again.

You can't rely on "finding answers online" when you're on deadline/on the job. Takes too long, as you have discovered.
                Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

You must live in a "employment at will" state. The employer doesn't have to have a reason to lay someone off. Likewise, an employee does not have to give 2 weeks notice either.

You will find that in most jobs involving computer assets, that management will lay off and walk out an employee the same day, always without notice. Sometimes an employee is walked out the minute they give notice rather than two weeks later. This is to avoid possible sabotage. Not saying you would do it, but it's been known to happen.

You should be able to collect unemployment though, even in an At-Will state. You weren't fired. Your position was riffed.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                    You must live in a "employment at will" state. The employer doesn't have to have a reason to lay someone off. Likewise, an employee does not have to give 2 weeks notice either.

You will find that in most jobs involving computer assets, that management will lay off and walk out an employee the same day, always without notice. Sometimes an employee is walked out the minute they give notice rather than two weeks later. This is to avoid possible sabotage. Not saying you would do it, but it's been known to happen.

You should be able to collect unemployment though, even in an At-Will state. You weren't fired. Your position was riffed.
                    This has happened to me at 95% of the computer jobs I have had. I'm worried. But it's what I do best. Can you believe it? Talk about confusion!

Comment

Why are you worried and confused?
                      I've known people who've showed up for work one day and found the door locked and the business closed. It could be worse. At least you have unemployment and references.

Comment

• PanToshi
                        PanToshi commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Or when you get back from lunch and find a stack of empty boxes on your desk and a voicemail summoning you to HR. LOL

• PrintDriver
                        PrintDriver commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Here, there is no un-supervised filling of boxes.

That's sucks, I know you were busting your ass to get up to speed.

Comment

I used to work at a place that notified employees of their job termination by leaving two empty boxes outside their office door after lunch. It always happened on a Friday and we always got let go thirty minutes early, so that person could at least pack up and not have to walk out in front of everyone. But it got so you were terrified to come back to your office after lunch on Friday.
                        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

• KitchWitch
                          KitchWitch commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Oh, and if you quit that job? When you gave your two weeks notice you got called into the President's office and he would yell at you for a full hour. He would tell you that you were nothing without that company and that everything you did after you left would fail, because you were too stupid to stay with the right employer. I hated that place.

Originally posted by Designia View Post
                        That's sucks, I know you were busting your ass to get up to speed.
                        I really did. And I came up to speed! Of course, there was that new project that was going a bit slow. But I was being sent work slowly and doing other projects AND getting them COMPLETED. I just am shocked that such nice people in such a nice company could treat so badly.

Comment

• PanToshi
                          PanToshi commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You weren't treated badly IMHO - they gave you 6 months to gel with the workflow - and they are giving you references...

I've never heard of a company giving an employee advanced notice on their job elimination. It is standard operating procedure for the reasons PD stated. I guess you've never been at a job where the laid-off employee loses their shit, and the cops have to be brought in.
                          Last edited by PanToshi; 10-30-2015, 10:28 AM.

• PrintDriver
                          PrintDriver commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You weren't treated badly.
                          It is the way business is today.
                          Even nice bosses have to lay off people from time to time.

My boss always jokes, every time we do a computer upgrade here, "now you can work even faster, right?"
                          Did someone somewhere along the line figure that fixing you up with a better computer and more ram might help your speed issue? And did someone else dis-abuse them of that notion?

Hey AdobePro,
                        What happened to you is horrible. Their loss. I once had a big fear of that happening to me. I was in a position were I just couldn't design fast enough and there was talk about outsourcing to India. After I saw how cheap it was, I got very nervous. So what did I do? I read books on time management and starting using iStock for illustrations that would take too long. Be resourceful. One of the best things you can do in any company is make sure that you and your knowledge is irreplaceable. I also educated myself constantly and made sure that I stayed up to date on industry standards and techniques. I realized that I had to be continuously learning. Education doesn't stop when you get your diploma. Learning is a lifelong, everyday process. If you have this this mindset, you will land on your feet when something like this happens.
                        I hope this helps.
                        Ken

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                        Working...
                        X