The continuing trend of unpaid internships

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by B View Post

As a result, students graduate from universities with a false sense of confidence (even arrogance) in the level of their expertise and preparation to enter the workforce when, in reality, they're not at all prepared for what awaits them.
    This is a good point about arrogance that extends beyond the student on to anyone who owns a copy of Photoshop. We recently went through a bunch of interviews for a marketing assistant at my job. My boss wanted to include "Some graphic design experience" in the job posting even though the assistant was hired merely for setting up the agendas for trade shows. We interviewed many designer hopefuls who did not attend college and instead had a copy of Photoshop and Illustrator that they've been playing around with. The individual who we hired was one of these hopefuls and now comes off with this arrogance as you mentioned, and routinely questions my credentials when it comes to design because I am younger.

Comment

• PrintDriver
      PrintDriver commented
      Editing a comment
      Someone needs a Gibbs-slap. I don't care if you are younger than the slappee either.

• calebninja
      calebninja commented
      Editing a comment
      Had to look this up (More of a law and order SVU then an NCIS kind of guy) but yes I agree

• StudioMonkey
      StudioMonkey commented
      Editing a comment
      Some of us live by Gibb's Rules . . .

http://www.ncisfanwiki.com/page/NCIS%3A+Gibbs'+Rules

No 3 is useful in a production environment : 'Don't believe what you're told. Double check.'

and No 9 of course : 'Never go anywhere without a knife'

This is a really interesting topic top read about. I've completed a couple of unpaid positions, but looking back I think the hirers were honest and called them "volunteer" positions. I did turn down an internship years ago with a "company" which was basically one man's startup with 20 "interns" none of whom were paid. That seemed like too much to me. I think there's something to be said for real-world experience vs what you get in school, but I guess I'd had to agree that the point of an internship should be to learn from someone with experience and if you can't offer that, then there'd better be some money on the table!

I was considering trying to hire an intern for my business, and this thread's making me rethink that. Because what I need is marketing and obviously I can't teach what I don't know. So maybe instead I'll advertise a temporary contract position and pay a lump sum or pony up for a marketing firm. Thanks for the insights! I really don't want to be one of the jerks I had to deal with when I was younger.

Comment

When I was starting out, in my last year of study in the early 90's I did several unpaid internships. The difference back then was they were short in duration, only about a week each.

Apart from my design studies I was a complete newbie in that environment, so working in these top ad agencies etc was way more to my advantage than it was to them. If anything I would've slowed things down with my inexperience and questions. I learned heaps of things as a wide eyed youngster and got an insight into what it's like working at ad agencies like Ogilvy & Mather and others.

If instead they had chained me (figuratively) to a Mac to churn out press ads in Quark 3.2 for free for 6 months that would be exploitative situation and wrong.

Comment

Most companies use interns illegally. There is a set of rules they have to abide by with interns, but for most they dont know the rules and just use it for free labor. Report them to the Department of Labor. Leave bad feedback on Glassdoor, Google, Yelp, etc. flag any intern jobs on Craigslist. Keep in mind you have to leave bad feedback on multiple sites because Google reviews can be deleted, the company I work for does it all the time so they can have a 5 star review. We all have to work together on this, I know most wont care because they have a job, but if you are searching, do this during your search.

According to The Department of Labor, the following six legal criteria must be applied when making a determination if an internship is required to be paid.
        1. The internship (even though it includes the actual operation of the employer's business) should be similar to training given in an educational environment.
        2. The internship experience is for the benefit of the intern, not the employer.
        3. The intern should not displace regular employees but work under close supervision of existing staff.
        4. The employer that provides the training should derive no immediate advantage from the activities of the intern and (on occasion) its operations may actually be impeded.
        5. The intern is not necessarily entitled to a job at the conclusion of the internship.
        6. The employer and the intern understand that the intern is not entitled to wages for the time spent in the internship.
        In order for an internship to be academic worthy, students doing internships in conjunction with their college coursework are expected to gain hands-on experience. The experience should help them develop the knowledge and skills required to gain entry into their field. The new federal guidelines could affect the quality of internships because one of the criteria states that the employer derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the intern.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• pobrien
          Reply to Flyer Crtitique
          pobrien
          Thanks for the feedback. That all makes a lot of sense. I'll take these points and re-work things....
          Today, 04:06 PM
        • PanToshi
          Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
          PanToshi
          Hi Thumper and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
          Today, 03:46 PM
        • PanToshi
          Reply to Looking for comments
          PanToshi
          Hi designers kent and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
          Today, 03:46 PM
        • PanToshi
          Reply to Flyer Crtitique
          PanToshi
          Hi Pobrien and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
          Today, 03:40 PM
        • HotButton
          Reply to Flyer Crtitique
          HotButton
          There are a lot of opportunities for refinement there, so it's best to start with a general corrective statement: Everything is too large. More specifically, there is no focal point; no hierarchy; no...
          Today, 03:36 PM
        GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X