I was told to ask for a raise by the person who would be giving me a raise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was told to ask for a raise by the person who would be giving me a raise

A few months ago I got a call from my boss asking if I could come help him with some emergency job at like 9:00 at night. I thought it was unprofessional, and I was a little insulted at first, but he then offered me [a bunch of] cash, so I accepted. He said I was the only one he trusted not to mess it up- because any mess up would mean we wouldn't have enough substrate to finish the quarter-million dollar job.

That night we had a long talk about the future of the business, and his plan on retirement and everything. And he asked if I'd be interested in taking over the company when it comes to that. For the longest time, I've wanted him to step aside, because at this point whenever he intervenes in something, it has to either be redone or he just gets in the way. Or he ends up over-complicating something we've done hundreds of times and wasting time talking through steps for something we do every day.

Then we went on to talk about the business finances and how much I've saved the company by maximizing production and finding more efficient ways of doing things. When I started, it would take a job 20 minutes to go from email into production, now it takes about 2 minutes at most. Between setting up scripts, creating custom tools or methods for doing things, we've eliminated 2 full time positions (I know that sounds bad), and still get more work done that we've ever done before.

The problem is, when I get a days worth of work done in an hour, I either sit there, work on personal stuff or get something else to do. At this point, I (personally) have 5 professional printers constantly running, each using different rips/multiple computers, I do a large portion of the production, design, invoicing and customer interaction. I've become skilled in troubleshooting and repairing Roland, Epson and HP printers, saving the company several thousands a year.

When I started, I was on contract- programming the website's backed customer system, by the end of it, he offered me a full-time position (I was trying my hand at freelance at the time). We agreed on a salary and everything's been OK. I've been slowly updating old methods, and at this point he has no idea what's going on when he walks into my office.

A few weeks ago, we had another talk. He said "You know, you've been working here almost 5 years now, and you only make $X an hour more per year than when you started. Eventually we'll need to sit down and talk about what it'll take to make you happy and keep you employed here". (I've gotten a $X an hour raise every year).

Given that conversation and everything I've done for the company. And the fact that be basically told me to ask him for a raise, I'm still afraid to ask for one. Even to the point to where I feel more comfortable finding a job somewhere else than asking for one. I stress out about it every day, from the time I wake up, to the time I go to sleep at night.

I don't know why I have such a huge fear of confrontation, or whatever.
    Last edited by KitchWitch; 04-01-2016, 02:15 PM. Reason: No pricing/salary discussion
    "I used to wonder what friendship could be, Until you all shared its magic with me." - Jesus Christ

I just posted something very similar to what you just did. I feel the same way about my situation. Personally, I don't want to offer a certain amount that I want and then be denied but I guess that's what negotiations are for. Do you like what you do?

Comment

You've delivered value, and the beneficiary of that value recognizes your worth. That's "perceived value," and it's a key factor in determining what price-of-ownership the market will bear with regard to any product. How would you feel if someone else came in, and essentially delivered the equivalent of your value, but got paid twice as much...just because they knew they were entitled to it and made it known? It's not "confrontation" to seek just compensation for the work you do; it's really only simple business logic, and you must learn to separate it from your feelings. Obviously, you didn't make all those improvements or keep all those balls in the air by being timid or apprehensive. There's no reason you can't channel that same confidence into any situation.
      I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

I would do it. I haven't had a raise in 5 years and I'm actually making less than I was in 2010, so anytime someone can get a raise I say jump on it.
        http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Don't ask for a raise, tell your boss why you deserve one. You obviously feel you do. Come up with a salary you feel is fair and something you can live with, then raise it. Negotiate. "Here's what I feel I deserve, and where I want to be with this company. Let's figure out a number or a situation we can agree on." Increases don't always have to be cash-based. You could get an expense account, a company car, a better office, new equipment, etc., in addition to a salary hike. (I'm guessing on those things, never been in that situation.) Ask for a pony.
          Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

This sounds like one of those good problems. Don't let it stress you out too much

Comment

Ask for a percentage of the company.

Last edited by bigdata; 04-01-2016, 07:46 PM.

Comment

You gotta do it.

I was in a situation (after the recession) where I hadn't had a raise for 7 years. I mentioned it to my boss who obviously felt terrible and they made sure I got a raise regularly after that. I am still underpaid and my boss knows this. I've recommended that they increase their prices so they can afford to keep me but they didn't want to do that.

All that will happen is they will say no. But from your story, that's not going to happen.
                It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

You might be a great worker, but if your salary request would put you outside a reasonable range for the value of your work to the company, your manager isn't likely to say yes. So it's key to make sure that you know the market rate for your work before you approach your manager.

Comment

I also was in a similar situation. That was a couple of years ago but I managed to survive.

Comment

Hi Dereckatters and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
                      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Tell him the amount you want and be prepared to barter, like a car purchase. So start higher than you are comfortable with and let him counter. Why not try? Think about how hard it would be to "train" your next boss and the workflow. Sounds like you have a good thing going there.

I had several freelance in house jobs that I would do the job in way less time than expected. One was for two weeks and I finished it in two days. Unfortunately my reward was getting sent home. At least you get to be paid while getting the job done early.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                        Working...
                        X