WHY?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHY?

I was sent some materials in order to create some flyers and posters for an announcement for a new partnership in my company.
    I was sent a crappy headshot (naturally) and a logo (jpg) for this new partner.

I could see it, in the preview on my e-mail, but in Bridge the preview wasn't there--it was subbed with the PS icon
    I could not place it in either illustrator or InDesign, and couldn't open it in Photoshop.

On a hunch tried renaming it--first with a new name and wrote the .jpg extension. Now I could see the preview/thumbnail but still couldn't open it or place it.
    Then I tried .jpeg, still no good.
    Then I tried .png.

Bingo!

Why the hell did someone decide to rename the extension to jpg??
    You can't make this stuff up.
    Keep Saturn in Saturnalia.

My guess. Because somewhere along the way someone said something to the effect of send jpegs of your headshot and logo. And people being occasionally tech savvy idiots figured that changing the extension of the png file into jpeg would make it a jpeg. I mean, after all, the PNG showed up as an image. And all images are jpegs right? right? ugh.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

• seamas
      seamas commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what I was thinking as well.
      Kind of weird that someone would request a jpg if all they had to do was change the name to jpg to change the format.

Welcome to my world. LOL.
    Sometimes the File Info pane will tell you what format a mystery file is supposed to be.
    If that doesn't work, I have a few Can Openers I try. They get 5 minutes. Then the phone call gets made.
    My current favorite is multipage tifs and Indesign files that use a single stacked layer photoshop file (multiple images placed on multiple layers of a PS file so ''I only have to send a link for one image file.'') Yeah, a huge one.
    Just. Don't.

Comment

Originally posted by seamas View Post
      Why the hell did someone decide to rename the extension to jpg??
      Obviously one of those go-to people who "knows computers." What're you, jealous?
      I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PanToshi
        Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
        PanToshi
        Hi Thumper and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
        Today, 03:46 PM
      • PanToshi
        Reply to Looking for comments
        PanToshi
        Hi designers kent and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
        Today, 03:46 PM
      • PanToshi
        Reply to Flyer Crtitique
        PanToshi
        Hi Pobrien and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
        Today, 03:40 PM
      • HotButton
        Reply to Flyer Crtitique
        HotButton
        There are a lot of opportunities for refinement there, so it's best to start with a general corrective statement: Everything is too large. More specifically, there is no focal point; no hierarchy; no...
        Today, 03:36 PM
      • pobrien
        Flyer Crtitique
        pobrien
        Hi,

I would greatly appreciate feedback on a flyer design for a promotional contest. I am transitioning from a 3D artist to more design work, so I know I have made some mistakes in spacing,...
        Today, 01:12 PM
      GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
      Working...
      X