Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning an agency's wordpress site in 1 week

Hi all,

I've been assigned with a task by my manager to learn Wordpress in 1 week. Why? I was recently hired as a web designer to design landing pages for promotions. My manager now wants me to learn WP because she doesn't want to pay an agency to do it. She gave me the logins but it looks like the agency used custom widgets and I just keep hitting road block after road block. She hasn't offered any support regarding learning the agency's theme/work. I've been upfront stating that its difficult because what the agency developed was custom which catered to the work flow of the agency.

My 1 week is up. Haven't gotten far. Watched youtube tutorials, signed up for free e-books and still haven't been able to achieve this "goal". How do I bring this up to my boss? Given that I'm a couple of months in, I feel like the next step after this is to get fired.

Please comfort me.

Well, I really feel for you. When I hand off websites, I always include extensive documentation and custom video tutorials for my clients because just saying "there are tons of tutorials on Youtube, good luck" isn't enough. Every website is set up differently and you need to tell people where to find things. It's a shame that whoever developed your website didn't provide documentation. You're literally not crazy. I don't even like to work with pre-made themes because figuring out what's going on takes longer than building it myself.

I don't know if that helps, but I really hope you don't get fired - that would be ridiculous.
    You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

Did the agency use a pre-made theme, and if so which theme is it?

What exactly are the issues you're running into?

Can you list the plug-ins the site is using?

Wordpress is easy but no one is going to be an expert on anything after 1 week of self teaching. Also, some themes are worse then others. If the agency custom built a theme off of the default Wordpress theme, then it would be helpful to access the FTP because they may have put some notes in the different code files.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PanToshi
        Reply to Happy Thanksgiving!
        PanToshi
        Happy Thanksgiving!

Today, 01:20 PM
      • B
        Reply to Happy Thanksgiving!
        B
        Happy Thanksgiving everyone (even to those of you outside the U.S.)!

As for turkey, I worked a summer job in a Norbest butter ball turkey processing plant before college, and haven't touched...
        Today, 12:57 PM
      • Arka-Software
        Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
        Arka-Software
        There are many software in the market which are using for vector pattern are:- 1) Inkscape 2) Xara Xtreme 3) Skencil 4) Scribus 5) VRR 6) CoceptDrow PRO 7) ZeusDraw 8) MagicTracer 9) Nodebox 10) Tgif
        Today, 12:46 PM
      • PrintDriver
        Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
        PrintDriver
        You want a program that is used to dealing with vector axis data. Photoshop would probably be inappropriate.

The only way I can think to do this is to have a script written for Illustrator...
        Today, 09:10 AM
      • KitchWitch
        Reply to New in Here
        KitchWitch
        Hi Asif_shawon and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
        Today, 09:09 AM
      GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
      Working...
      X