Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collecting payment ... the bane of my existence!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collecting payment ... the bane of my existence!

What is it with clients that feel just because you're a freelancer or independent business or whatever you wanna call it, they can just pay you whenever they feel like it??
    This is my 3rd new client in a row that I have to chase down for money!!

I have a contract, take a deposit, and even set late fees (which i'd honestly never enforce). I want to be tougher on my clients but feel that any strong arming might ultimately lead to the loss of a client. "Screw them" right? "Who needs them" right? Well, for the most part, they have all been good to work with. They dig my stuff. They're happy with my service yet I'm still chasing!! GRRRRR!!

There is nothing I hate more then making that uber awkward call "Hey, don't mean to be a bother but can you F@#!$Kin' pay me already?"

@#@#$$@!!$^&*&%@!#$^&*^#@#^&^!!!!!!

.... I feel better now. Thanks Soap Box!

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

peace

Hi Kovski and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

You could figure out all the billable design time you spend on chasing clients for money (and doing your business taxes) and see if you get any kind of return on investment by hiring an accounting service.

Comment

You could only hand over final files when your client makes their final payment. I wonder if there's a way to booby trap the design work, so it disappears once payment is overdue. I saw a movie once where a lady designed software that stopped working - and started erasing itself - once the client was overdue on payments. It was after the client had been notified multiple times that they still owed, so it wasn't out of the blue, but it was sweet.
        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

So I did a little research on your idea about "Booby Trapping" the "final files". Turns out you can get sued for loss-of-business for booby trapping...and they'd win. But on the flip side, you can sue in return for copyright infringement which is sweet news!

Now, at the same time, I Google searched the term you used "final files" and found this ... Crazy!!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-07-05 at 11.51.51 AM.png
Views:	1
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	21248

Comment

• Kovski
            Kovski commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry for the confusion. I have Payment On Receipt as my terms. which should enforce no-money-no-files but I always deliver the files first and without fail, the money never follows. Don't get me wrong. I like my clients. Most of them are good, if not great, but they ALL suck at paying when they are supposed to. Now looking inwards, I should be tougher on them but I fear the awkward conversations and possible repercussions of losing them as a client.

• KitchWitch
            KitchWitch commented
            Editing a comment
            If the terms of your contract are payment on receipt, you should definitely enforce that. If you don't abide by your contract, why should the client?

• Kovski
            Kovski commented
            Editing a comment
            This is true.

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X