Company I work for charges $XXXX for logo then outsources it on fiverr

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company I work for charges $XXXX for logo then outsources it on fiverr

I wont name the company. What do you think about this? The person on fiverr gets like $XX and the logos are horrible like you would expect. Nothing I can do about it as I only do design work part of the time. Yeah I know its pretty crap. Guess I just want to vent
    Last edited by KitchWitch; 09-28-2017, 03:52 PM. Reason: removed pricing

Wow, that's crazy, and couldn't the client potentially find the "logo request" on fiverr? Maybe not, I may be thinking about a logo contest site. Honestly I've never use Fiverr (thank God) ... so it may all be "hidden" from prying client eyes.

Either way, it is slimy, especially since someone is paying more and expecting "quality" and yet they're getting lesser quality.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

That's absolutely unethical and dishonest. If I were you, I'd be looking for a new job at a company that cared about its clients, the quality of its work and, um, basic integrity. Sounds a bit like you're working for con artists, which isn't a good long-term employment situation. The term Craig used, slimy, is perfect.

Comment

Sounds a lot like some of our customers who want to use Google Maps and Disney characters in their ads - without paying for it. Or the ones who who want to run watermarked stock art or images ripped off of Google images.

They are shocked when told you can't do that.

Well, maybe what you are seeing is worse…
        Erik Youngren Pueblo Publishers, Composing Manager
        2.8Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5

Comment

Here's the thing... Outsourcing goes on all the time. The difference between this example and normal is, normally you are transparent about where things are outsourced from.

For instance, I buy fabricated metal channel letters all day long from a couple different to-the-trade-only companies and sell them to my clients. While we probably have the capability to make them, we don't have the quantity orders or the labor rate that would allow us to make them cost effectively. So I buy them wholesale, mark them up and re-sell them.

Or there are some types of printing we would never bring in house due to the specialized equipment involved (custom HPL, porcelain, imaging on glass, etc.) We don't even do large-run silk screening because we are just not set up for it. You want custom stage passes for an event, yeah, I'm gonna outsource that, or give you some contacts so you can do it yourself if you like and avoid my handling fee.
          All of our clients know this. Some of them even specify what outsources they prefer I use (though I usually get some say in that...)

If I were the OP, I'd be looking for a different job because obviously this one isn't going to pay a designer to be on staff. They are going to pay some outsource peanuts. That doesn't bode well for long-term advancement. Or for the longevity of the company.

As for the quality issue, more $$$$ doesn't always equal quality. Or conversely, less $ doesn't necessarily mean the logo is bad.
          Logos, while one of the most difficult things to get right in Graphic Design and most important to the brand success of a company, are the least respected commodity out there. If people understood the importance of logos, none of the crowdsource sites would exist. If the job is a throw-away logo, perhaps outsourcing is completely acceptable. After all, what is a freelancer? Just another outsource.

(I'm not condoning marking up crowdsource stuff 1000%, just that without all the details, I'm not passing immediate judgment here.)
          Last edited by PrintDriver; 09-29-2017, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Ha. PD, you know, when I wrote that statement about quality, I knew that it wasn't 100% accurate necessarily. I actually thought about re-writing it, but I left it. Because, yes, it is true that you could potentially get a good quality logo off of Fiverr versus having an agency or freelancer create it. But, in theory, spending more money by using an agency or a skilled freelancer, etc. would result in a logo that is more nuanced, on target, well thought out, etc.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

Isn't it good business to produce something at a lower cost if you can? Outsourcing may be slimy and unethical, but that should not stop a commercial business from maximising its profits. That is after all what business is all about. If you charge the customer a lot more than it costs you to produce, why not? Plus the outsource guy doing the work is getting paid, thus benefiting another business. Or are you proposing a system where business treats its customers fairly and with respect? Presumably then business is constrained by laws and regulations designed to protect the customer. The kind of laws and regulations that are popular in places outside the USA. The kind of laws and regulations that are seen by some as Un-American.
              Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Comment

Have you seen the laws and regulations that control small business enterprises these days?
                Let's just say, they aren't conducive to growth.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PanToshi
                  Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
                  PanToshi
                  Hi Thumper and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
                  Today, 03:46 PM
                • PanToshi
                  Reply to Looking for comments
                  PanToshi
                  Hi designers kent and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
                  Today, 03:46 PM
                • PanToshi
                  Reply to Flyer Crtitique
                  PanToshi
                  Hi Pobrien and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
                  Today, 03:40 PM
                • HotButton
                  Reply to Flyer Crtitique
                  HotButton
                  There are a lot of opportunities for refinement there, so it's best to start with a general corrective statement: Everything is too large. More specifically, there is no focal point; no hierarchy; no...
                  Today, 03:36 PM
                • pobrien
                  Flyer Crtitique
                  pobrien
                  Hi,

I would greatly appreciate feedback on a flyer design for a promotional contest. I am transitioning from a 3D artist to more design work, so I know I have made some mistakes in spacing,...
                  Today, 01:12 PM
                GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                Working...
                X