X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This client just doesn't get it.

I have a client who organizes medical-seminars-at-sea, like a cruise vacation and learning experience all wrapped into one. I did a few 8 panel brochures for him in the past, but he's decided to bring it down to a regular postcard so he can send it out to many more doctors for less money than before (eliminating things like the registration form since they can do that online, and various details that weren't all that necessary). There are a few sections he says need to stay on the card, but it's simply not fitting. Period. End of story. So I tell him that something needs to come out or the text needs to be thinned out. Today he sends me revised text for two of the paragraphs, hoping it would help me get everything to fit. It takes up MORE room than it did before. Are you freakin' kidding me?

blog/portfolio

this calls for 2pt type.
    You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

What size postcard?
      WYSIWYG

Comment

Oh you have my sympathy! I've got one of those at the moment too. I'm struggling to be diplomatic in explaining the content that they want to include is too overwhelming for the type of advertisement and that the vast majority of info they wish to include 99% of customers won't give a monkey's left bollock about anyway.
        at best my spelling *and grammar* is crap and at worst it are be carp

Comment

A friend of mine was supposed to make a picture of the earth on 8 x 8 pixels or something, and they wanted the map to be relatively detailed. Turning on the sarcasm in frustration, he asked if they wanted the image to be animated aswell, with an airplane going around the planet. They said yes...

Comment

Can you make it the maximum size that you can send via post at the cheapest rate?

Example, here many postcards are A6, but DLE can be sent via mail for same price.
            It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

The card is currently 6x9, which I think already requires letter-rate postage. I probably will have to tell him to go to a larger card, but I think he's got his heart (and wallet) set on the 6x9. The postage cost will be the same, but the printing cost will increase. Not to mention my sales person will have to get a whole new quote for a new size, and that's an issue in and of itself.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Doesn't sound like there is much you can do about it. People need to realize that we are designers not magicians. You can't fit an elephant into an MG midget and you can't make chicken salad out of chicken crap.
                I could give you a dose
                but it would never come close
                to the rage built up inside of me
                fist in the air in the land of hypocrisy

Comment

Hopefully printing cost wont increase by too much.
                  It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by Virgo Nightingale
                    The postage cost will be the same, but the printing cost will increase.
                    Postage is about to go up BIG TIME for bulk mailing (I'm not sure when it will start though). Flat rate costs are going to be nearly double and the cost of mailing a postcard is going to go from somewhere around $.16 to $.27 or $.28 for bulk. I think first class is going up as well but not by more than a penny or two.

FYI to everyone, if you produce items that will be bulk mailed (i.e. postcards, brochures, and what-not) check up on the new bulk postage rates coming up. It may affect how you need to design the piece. Especially if the customer is a cheap bastard like most a few of mine.
                    You want it when!? Well in that case, let me pull my magic wand out of my ass and take care of that for you.

Comment

"it's only a few words I want putting in"
                      The times I've heard that and those few words necessitate a complete re work of the page. <sigh>
                      you have my sympathy.

Comment

I managed to get everything to fit by 'borrowing' as much space from the mailing section as I thought I could. I sent a pdf to the mailing house that's handling the piece to ask if it would work before I sent it to the client and got his hopes up that everything would fit. Good thing I double-checked, since the mailing house requires 4" on the right side for printing the address - more than what I'd left. I let the client know this and included a pdf that visually showed how much "over" the text was. He just emailed me back finally agreeing to eliminate a section. PHEW!

blog/portfolio

Comment

I always get clients comments like this.

Just yesterday had a page layout designed and it was rammed. They put absolutely everything they could on the page. Today their comment was, can we make the text a little larger, like 16pt maybe?

*SCHNOCK*
                          In this post there are 47 people, none of them can be seen.

Comment

I thought postage was the same no matter how many you posted. Price just goes up with size and weight. Oh well, learn something new...

Comment

Originally posted by Virgo Nightingale
                              ...I let the client know this and included a pdf that visually showed how much "over" the text was. He just emailed me back finally agreeing to eliminate a section. PHEW!
                              That usually gets them.
                              Purity and simplicity... and ubuntu.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
                              - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X