Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Lucifer
    Reply to Need color choice help on logo design...
    Lucifer
    What does this company do?
    Today, 04:52 AM
  • Roth
    Reply to Personal Logo Critique
    Roth
    You're in danger of having too many elements. If you're going to make something of the W being different, make it noticeably different (I assumed the Woodruff was in the W font, and took me a while to...
    Today, 04:46 AM
  • jwood
    Reply to Personal Logo Critique
    jwood
    Thanks for the thoughts and questions. I had several tries with the same font but it always looked too plain. The different fonts seemed to help the logo to stand out but still look professional. I'll...
    Today, 04:31 AM
  • EmberMike
    Reply to The End of Adobe Creative Suite is upon us...Creative Cloud shift
    EmberMike
    Resurrecting an oldie here...

I've been a CS6 holdout but now I'm at a point where I need to buy After Effects and I can't find a reasonable price on it anywhere. My upgrade to CC may be...
    Today, 03:58 AM
  • B
    Comment on Hey guys, I'm wondering which domain name sounds better.
    B
    You might try always spelling it out with mixed case, as in MichelleBethDean.com. Domain names aren't case sensitive, so it'll work with no problem. It'll also eliminate any confusion over what it says...
    Today, 02:00 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am not God

So our issue just came out, and of course there are a few mistakes (2). They were all verbiage mistakes. I chalk it up to poor communication and poor job folders from the Ad Reps, but hey I'm just the lowly graphic designer who worked 90 hrs a week for two weeks, and took no days off for three weeks (that's right, 7 days a week baby). My boss had the balls to say to me today, that I just can't have any days off until the issue comes out (we're talking 4 weeks or more of 7 days a week now). I could barely f'n stand up at the end.....and I ended up working the two days I finally 'got off'

Who the f* do you think I am, and how dare you expect that I should perform or be any more dedicated than you?!!!!! [img]/emoticons/icon_evil.gif[/img]

'To Design is much more than simply to assemble, to order, or even to edit; it is to add value and meaning, to illuminate, to simplify, to clarify, to modify, to dignify, to dramatize, to persuade, and perhaps even to amuse.' --Paul Rand

There is no fairness in life. When your 'Boss' uses you up and casts you aside to whom shall you turn? Prepare your way. Seek the undiscovered country. Leave behind those who would cast you down...

Yénillor morne tulinte I quettar,

'Terc áno nuruva.'

Hlasta! Quetes Hfirimain

It speaks to those who were not born to die.

Strengthen yourself, paulrandfan...

BB~:0)

Comment

What! Holy crap honestly I would always want a job lined up but in your case just QUIT! Let this bastid feel the heat.

Graphic Design Heroes! Call me Captain Type Caster. I’ve fought off “The Evil Cosmic Sans” for year but it seems “Dr. Extreme Untalent” keeps bringing him back. I must find a way to defeat this evil creature.

Capt. Creative bring me those comps…

Comment

That sux. He has to let you have a day off or there won't be one or two mistakes, there will be much more. When you work on something so much, you can't function right after...90 hours! COME ON! 90 hours?? WTF? Your boss sux. Is his a$$ there with you logging time on this issue? I highly doubt it! He is out in the pool or vacationing somewhere...not working his a$$ off. It's as simple as: if you don't get time of to wind down and let your body and mind rest, then you can't perform at 100% to get things done accurately. He should know that. If he doesn't...phuk him!!

Good luck Paulrandfan. I hope you get some rest! ;o)

Boobie Island or Bust!
        I blog, you blog, we all blog!

Comment

God damnit BB, what does that mean? LOL

Can you provide an english translation as well?

Paulrandfan, what I've noticed about any social relationship, be it personal or business, if a person can get away with using and abusing you, that will be the standard they will come to expect from you. Now, understandably it's a fine line when you've got a job to do, but I know when my boss gets pushy, or asks for a time estimate, I always multiply it by about 4. So for a half hour job, I'd tell him it takes 2 hours. This way, I have a greater degree of leeway.

Now, it's different cuz you're in a positition where there are some stupid deadlines, but were it me, I'd be taking some major time off, or at least not worked on those two days off. It may also help to speak to your boss, try to appeal to his common sense and simply tell him the dangers of over-working. Maybe write up an inter-office memo.

I feel your pain...it's a bloody lack of respect and communication, and really when you think about it, there's no excuse for it.

"It's not cheating if you win."

- A VERY wise person.

Comment

thanks for the support! I'm a perfectionist by nature, and sometimes I need to hear good words of 'there is no f'n way you could function after ninety hours!' When you are set up to that standard by your boss, after a while, you think 'what's wrong with ME? Why can't I perform to this level?' I'm the only graphic designer for this business (retail and magazine), and some parameters need to be set, where it's like, Mistakes are made, and we are a lot more suseptable (sp?) when the one graphic designer is responsible and working this many hours...hopefully we can get to that point. I just know that I'm abusing my body and my mind so much doing that, and in the long term it's not good for me.

I am starting to scope out other opportunities and be on the lookout, because after that I now only make $11 instead of $10....

'To Design is much more than simply to assemble, to order, or even to edit; it is to add value and meaning, to illuminate, to simplify, to clarify, to modify, to dignify, to dramatize, to persuade, and perhaps even to amuse.' --Paul Rand

Comment

That's terrible, prf. Methinks it's time to start looking for greener pastures.

Hang in there! It will get better.

You know what are neat? Sheep. Because they're wooly, and if you pick them up, they scream!
              "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

I dunno. I love what I do, I love designing...but as soon as you ad sales reps,...you get dumped on. I just don't get where in their heads they somehow think that you are less than them.

Comment

Incidentally, my quenya's a little rusty BB, but I read this as follows:

Yénillor morne tulinte I quettar,
                  Out of long years dark come the words

'Terc áno nuruva.'
                  through sight of death

Hlasta! Quetes Hfirimain
                  Listen! It speaks to mortals (those apt to die).

Is that pretty close?

You know what are neat? Sheep. Because they're wooly, and if you pick them up, they scream!

Comment

If it was that makes no sense.

Paulrandfan, it seems most of us GD'ers are vastly underpaid for what we do, and how much responsibility we have. I can't see a way around it, since there is more supply than demand...

"It's not cheating if you win."

- A VERY wise person.

Comment

oh no I agree totally...kids come in here every day looking for graphic design positions, but I can still bitch in way that is productive

Comment

We're here for you! [img]/emoticons/cheers.gif[/img]

Comment

$11 an hour for 90 hour weeks?

GAH!

You're insane, man!

I hope the bastid at least paid you OT for all that time.

BTW, under most states' laws it is illegal to work an employee that many hours for that long. If he gives you any flak about wanting more money/less work/paid OT/whatever, threaten to report him.

I would but then again, I'm a tool.

If I was any less productive right now, I'd be comatose.
                          *insert inane quote here*

Comment

Heh, tool. I guess the word I originally used is filtered on this board. It's not even that bad of a word.

Oh well.

If I was any less productive right now, I'd be comatose.
                            *insert inane quote here*

Comment

Rocketpig...was the word ***** or pr!ck? Happened to me before too.

prf, if I were there with ya, I'd definitely be stepping up and saying "What the hell?", what with my ability to dissent. I've been known to do that in such a way where the employer is like "Where the hell did that come from?" but not to the point where they can fire me for insubordination...these kinds of exchanges have happened at my current place of employment several times which I'm sure you're probably famililar with, and they don't do anything because they truly know that I am right and I have busted my a$$ to the point of exhaustion.

If I were you I'd say something. Put it this way...they can't afford to fire you. If you're working that much, and say if you were to quit/get firedand go somewhere else, after your two weeks if they don't have anyone working for them then they are screwed! Who else can possibly come in and pick up that much slack? Hopefully when the mag goes monthly you get some more help...who knows, maybe me!

"Oh wow man! Right beside the snack bar man!" -Tommy Chong

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X