Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Cosmo
    Reply to EFI printers? Anyone have any experience?
    Cosmo
    We saw one run at a place we visited a few months back. It was running board (which is the vast majority of what we would be running) and we were very happy with what was coming off of it as well as the...
    Today, 12:10 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Moving text background
    KitchWitch
    Hi Fstenbergp and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 11:57 AM
  • fstenbergp
    Moving text background
    fstenbergp
    Hello GDF!

I would like to make some moving effects on the attached file if you may say so.

What I am wishing to do is create a perfect looping gif, where the text moves in...
    Today, 11:53 AM
  • skribe
    Reply to how got project of graphic designing
    skribe
    Welcome design square!

As you are a new member please take a few minutes and read though our rules and guidelines for new members. The following links should get you up to speed.
    Today, 11:27 AM
  • Kim
    Reply to How to start a proffesional "Name-Label-stickers" business?
    Kim
    Thanks for your time and answers.

As I said, I am COMPLETELY new and know nothing about how to make name labels and what equipment to use for this purpose.
    Do anybody know a guide...
    Today, 10:10 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparently risking my friggin life is part of the job...

Told work yesterday that a pretty decent sized snow storm was coming in and would go on for quite a while, and that I live 30 miles from the place & not on a main highway, and told them that I may not be coming in & 6 in the a.m. like I was scheduled; I figured I was being nice by giving a heads up. I havenever called in sick since I've been there (not once, no bullsh!t) andprevious managers had said it was OK during adverse weather conditions if Icouldn't make it as opposed to the ones I have now. I didn't say that I wasn't coming in, and if the roads weren't that bad I still would have made it, but they got pissed when I told them that there was a remote possibility that I wouldn't make it and said that I'm still going to have to try and make it as good as I can. What the hell? We talk all about safety and things like that at work in the most mundane fashion (someone gets a major chubby when they point out something unsafe and suddenly they've grabbed their five seconds of attention), but anything that could harm us/kill us outside of work is OK or hunky-dory? I haven't had to b!tch about this place much in a while, not because it has gotten better (which it most certainly hasn't) but that I didn't think it could get any worse.

Well, the reason why I'm posting this so friggin' early is because not forty minutes ago I just put my car in the pancakeing ditch, luckily not more than 400 meters from a house where the guy was out plowing his driveway so he helped me out, butI couldn't see the road at all, and when I called work to tell them I'm not coming because I just put my car in the ditchthey STILL were pissed off. They kept touting how other people made it in, who that they failed to mention live in the town that the store is in so they had to drive all of three miles maximum while it takes me 30/40 minutes on a good day to make it, while I who was a recently promoted department manager should be able to take the responsibilty to make it in on time (NOTE: $8.95/hour is apparentlythe "you must risk your life" pay bracket of the job function). For all anyone else would know I could have made it further (note that this is the barren wastelands of Iowa), put my car in the ditch HARD and possibly ruined my car,perhaps fell off the side of a hill that has no guard rails and no one would notice because it's so friggin' far down,I drop out of an area where I can get a signal on my cell phone, and froze to death...but they don't care, they just know that the hardest damned worker in the store isn't making it so they're taking it out on me. If I can get a hold of ANY job that pays equal or more, and offers hours and treats employees with more respect, I'm taking it instantly.

I hate snow.

Yeah, that's a load of crap. On a few occasions (not lately), I've had to call in and say that I wasn't coming due to bad conditions. Believe it or not, mein fuhrer is actually pretty understanding of the situation. I'm not risking my neck just so soccer mom (who probably wouldn't come in that day anyway) will get her damned baby shower invitations.

On the other hand, I was in a similar situation with illness when I was a teenager and working at Wal-Mart. The complete condensed story is that I was sick as a dog with the flu, and I called in sick. The boss just said 'Patrick, buddy, you have to find it within yourself to come in today, kay?'

I quit one week later.

Patrick Shannon

'Dear valued customer, go home and die. Signed, your friendly graphic artist.'

My War With Culture
    Political incorrectness reinvented.

Comment

sorry to say, that is the real world

'I will become the most powerful Jedi ever!'
      'I'm the damn designer, bitches!'

Check out my indie comic book!
      www.assassinsguild.net/
      "Even when I'm not at 100%, I'm still 110% better then anyone else!"

Check out my indie comic books at http://www.crycomic.com and http://www.assassinsguild.net/

Comment

I agree with defjoe. The real world sucks but it's the real world.

Of course my personal opinion on major sickness is keep your ass home because I don't want it. I always know I will end up sick because some dumbass comes to work coughing and spitting on everything. I do what I can to keep if off me but then it spreads like wildfire and sooner or later I get it. It really sucks because then I have to feel like crap because they weren't smart enough to use the sick days they are given. Ok my rants over!

"Thats just my opinion, I could be wrong." - Dennis Miller

Comment

Thats when I say. . .shampoo my crotch. . .retail blows, end of story

"I Heart Chewie"
          Oh Chewie I love U "click"
          Tapp-d
          "I has puter, I isam dsgna?!"

Comment

Patrick Shannon said...
            The boss just said 'Patrick, buddy, you have to find it within yourself to come in today, kay?'
            that is soooo office space!! lol!!

America.. ***** Yeaaaahh!!

Comment

reuber1 said...
              For all anyone else would know I could have made it further (note that this is the barren wastelands of Iowa), put my car in the ditch HARD and possibly ruined my car, perhaps fell off the side of a hill that has no guard rails and no one would notice because it's so friggin' far down, I drop out of an area where I can get a signal on my cell phone, and froze to death...but they don't care,
              I didn't know they had any hills in Iowa big enough for this to happen, [img]/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

I love children but I don't think I could eat a whole one.

Comment

I was reading an article somewhere that stated that more and more employers are starting to encourage employees to stay home when they're sick, primarily because they lose more money if one person comes to work sick and infects everyone, rather than forcing that employee to come in sick. Also sicker workers are slower workers.

I am now reminded of a clever comic from The Joy of Tech, www.joyoftech.com/joyoftech/joyarchives/417.html

Patrick Shannon

My War With Culture

Comment

Just got a call from work (a different manager)saying that I shouldn't even bother coming in because of the weather,before I politely told them that I already called in earlier and told them that anyways. Kool, we're right on the bluff (I look right and there's the Mississipi, or a bunch of trees, really nice drive during the summer), so there are some HUGE ones that I have to drive through with nice, icy, winding roads (the first one I drive was where I spun into the ditch), but yeah once you start heading west Iowa is a flat, boring, cold, boring, barrenwasteland of corn fields and meth labs. There are afew hills that I drive through are quite large and not guardrailed so if I careen off the side I'm screwed; thankfully I maintained enough control that I only got stuck a few feet from the shoulder and got help right away. I read an article like that too Patrick, and I think it was because you're losing more money paying someone who is sick to do work when they're not 100%, as opposed to just letting them have the day off and deal with it and probably be more productive in the long run.

I see what you guys are saying about thereal world, but I think things should change for circumstances like this; my past managers knew how bad of a drive I have during winter and they would call me and tell me not to come in, and if it's bad weather you're not going to be busy anyway so it's not like you're down on service and you're keeping up with payroll by cutting hours away from potentially lost profits, but now you've got these newly college graduated dipsh!ts for executives here who are total assholes who expect me to "suck it up" and cross my fingers that I don't get in a pancakeing car wreck with a semi (which two of them went by this morning, poor guys).My father is the store manager of a Kohl's store and heeven told the local people that did make itthat he's not coming in and anyone who doesn't think they can make it shouldn't even try, and he's a total workaholic...why don't more people like him work in high up places (oh yeah, because people like him don't have college degrees and that's more important thanpractical jobknowledge and experience).

I just woke up from a quick catch-up nap and it's about ten times worse outside (hasn't stopped since I first posted). I can understand how at the sight of some unsightly weather that you can't immediately assume you can't be there, and as I said I have never called in sick, so I at least thought that my heartless bastid employers would have the nerve to at least understand when I tell them that "Hey, a huge snowstorms coming so there's a chance I'm not going to make it"...I'm pretty sure the store isn't going to be busy and I've gotten everything done for my department outside of one thing that I can't do until tomorrow anyway because the stuff doesn't arrive until then, so what's the big pancakeing deal? I mean, other people call in sick all the time, and make up lameass reasons for doing it like "I've got a cold", and thebosses are A-OK with that. But when a nasty snow storm comes in that even the news stations say DO NOT DRIVE, hell no I'm not supposed to listen to that and just drive on in. If this is how the majority of the real world operates, then I'm all for weeding out the assholes and getting some slightly more compassionate folks in the high up spots that don't expect blind devotion from those of us who make less than $12,000 a year. Christmas is over, people. I think I'm entitled to an extra day off anyway, being that I didn't have any real weekends off during the holiday season; gimme some "Day Off" pills.

I hate snow.

Comment

Im never gonna get used to the 31st century. Caffeinated bacon? Baconated grapefruit? ADMIRAL Crunch?
                    Fry, Futurama

Comment

reuber1 said...

...don't expect blind devotion from those of us who make less than $12,000 a year...
                      That's a quotable quote. And one your manager needs to understand.

Hunt for trophy black bear, cougar, deer, mountain goat or forest trolls at bracewell's hunting lodge. http://bracewell.com

Comment

Somebody said...
                        don't expect blind devotion from those of us who make less than $12,000 a year.
                        As Keyare said, that is 'so' quote of the year. In my case though, that would be 'less than $20,000'.

Patrick Shannon

My War With Culture

Comment

Drorain said...
                          Thats when I say. . .shampoo my crotch. . .retail blows, end of story
                          I don't know, its a toss up between that quote, and this one [img]/emoticons/rofl.gif[/img]

digitalcamwhore

Thanks to vend3r for the sig
                          Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men. - Woodrow Wilson

Comment

LOL! I lik em both! Dro throws things from outta nowhere sometime...cracks me up!

Boobie Island or Bust!
                            I blog, you blog, we all blog!

Comment

8 years of retail make you a bitter person, I'm in recovery right now working graphic design full time =P

"I Heart Chewie"
                              Oh Chewie I love U "click"
                              Tapp-d
                              "I has puter, I isam dsgna?!"

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X