This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things that make me forget I have a chain - Archive

More of a spiritual plea for some positives on the whole GD experience. I'm tired of seeing the 'Chain Jerk' thread (fun as it is) everytime I log on here. Let's not forget that sometimes it's a lot of fun too!

I'll start:

I was asked to give a small one hour lecture about print production last Thursday at a college class of marketing students. I accepted (though it was litereally a one-night prep) and had a great time. The students were quite respectful, they appreciated the stuff I brought to show, and the prof sent my boss a glowing email of thanks.

Next!

I would love to do something like that, Broacher...I would have plenty to say about it.

As to your thread, pertaining to my own job.....I.......uh......

.....um.......

......hmm, nope........

.....hmm [img]/DesktopModules/dotNetBB/emoticons/dry.gif[/img]........

......well uh, that was kind of cool when two Russian guys tipped me for a project once.

Patrick Shannon

'Dear valued customer, go home and die. Signed, your friendly graphic artist.'

My War With Culture
    Political incorrectness reinvented.

Comment

Actually, I think the "Things that Jerk My Chain" has been maxed out, because I can't get back in! Maybe something's wrong with my computer, but this threadis actuallya good idea and was considering it myself. Didn't know if it should technically be in the soap box, but now I think it should to help balance out the "box" and maybe help keep some threads from getting too far out of hand.

OK, I'll bite. The fact that I've gone from a rather disgusting looking 220 pounds to a pretty muscular 185 lbs. makes me forget about most of the chain jerking (I may post both pics on the Names to Faces thread, my 220 lb from graduation and one of me now at 185 so you guys can see the difference). I've been on a jogging program since last July and started working out at this fitness center since November. I go to this place because A) there aren't a bunch of college football playing, testosterone filled a-holes and B) It's not the "Y" and C) I can actually use a treadmill for a half hour. Anyways, I think the working out has helped me lighten up a lot (endorphins are your friends) and it helps me get my mind off my current job (<STRIKE>ughh...no negativity here). Recommend getting on a workout program if you're out of shape...you'll feel much better.

I hate Easter.

Comment

I love my cats. Does that count?

It's hard to stay in a bad mood when you come home and 9 cats come running to greet you. [img]/DesktopModules/dotNetBB/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

if you can't say something nice, shut the hell up.
        "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

I can definitely agree with that Rueber, I was very out of shape throughout my teenage life, then got into fencing and got serious. No old habits, and I haven't even had a soda in quite a while. It feels good to say that I weigh much less now than I did at fourteen! The change has certainly improved my love life ^_~

Patrick Shannon

'Dear valued customer, go home and die. Signed, your friendly graphic artist.'

My War With Culture
          Political incorrectness reinvented.

Comment

a project that i'm working on this afternoon. helping a friend with a start-up. i'm being paid in shoes. i love that! ha! tickles me to no end.

::Whap'pen?::</font>

Comment

I won a bookmark design contest at school. They moved the library to another building and wanted to have some sort of 'takehome' for the students of the three colleges that share the library. I get a $125 gift certificate to Barnes and Noble (the cash woula been nice, but they were very clear that this is the prize so oh well). IIRC they're going to print up a bunch. Can't wait!

I'm so happy on S.A.D.!
              I will grow old but I will never grow up.

Comment

It can be satisfying. Very satisfying.

I like looking at the front page of the daily paper and seeing something I made right there in front of everybody's eyes.

I really like getting a sincere thank you from sales reps or clients. Sometimes it seems for every grumpy client, there's another who views you as some kind of an angelic being if you do a good job for them. Hell, at least a couple of my clients have been so satisfied with the advertising I've given them, they've asked me for a high res printout so they could frame it and keep it on their office wall(!).

Team work can be fun too. It's good to know that you're part of the bigger picture, and you're not just sat behind your desk all day doing some boring crap that no one cares about.

It's great having a job where you can excercise a little creativity, get away with looking a bit eccentric, learn new things constantly and where, if you do a good job of something, you can leave people stunned by something you've done.

If nothing else, you can't fail to notice a certain sparkle in people's eyes when you mention in conversation "Actually, I'm a graphic designer...". Let's face it, it's a pretty sexy job title.

Hell, I love being a designer. I don't think there are many jobs I'd rather have.
                I think all of us can get so caught up in the irritating little things about the job that we forget from time to time why we're doing it in the first place.

Ok, I'm done.

</rant>

I would've taken over the world, but I got distracted by shiny things.

Ooo! Shiny things!
                "Imagination is more important than knowledge."
                --Albert Einstein

Comment

Just look at my avatar!

blah blah blah blah blah blah
                  I could give you a dose
                  but it would never come close
                  to the rage built up inside of me
                  fist in the air in the land of hypocrisy

Comment

I did the front page ad last week for an auto dealer...that dealer sold 45 cars from the ad that I did and he asked the salesperson to thank me for doing such a great job.

As much as I hate dealing with auto dealers and doing those ads...that made me smile.

Power to the Oldschoolers
                    I blog, you blog, we all blog!

Comment

how about ----->

Comment

followed closely by the GDF [img]/DesktopModules/dotNetBB/emoticons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

while not exactly GD related, hot bubble baths &amp; cheesecake are lovely.

Work related: my boss had me take some photos and list some discontinued items on ebay... while we haven't sold anything yet, my boss and a few of my coworkers have come in to tell me that I did anexcellent job with the photos!

Also,the fact that my boss has given me a gas allowance to cover the cost of my commute. It's nice to feel appreciated.

Post Edited (morea) : 2/17/2005 9:14:29 PM GMT

Comment

I got my car back today!

The rest of that story doesn't go in this thread though... but I'm keeping it positive. Maybe I'll blog about that a lil later.

Free iPod (explanation)
                            ProudPenguin
                            P r o d u c t i o n s

Comment

A printer rep took me to a really nice restaurant for lunch yesterday and paid for the whole thing.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PrintDriver
                                Reply to Happy Thanksgiving!
                                PrintDriver
                                Happy Thanksgiving to all!
                                Just waiting for dinner to finish cooking. We are eating fashionably late this year. Mainly because the bird was larger than expected, but that 's ok.
                                Lots of hooverdoovers...
                                Today, 04:17 PM
                              • PanToshi
                                PanToshi
                                Happy Thanksgiving!

Today, 01:20 PM
                              • B
                                B
                                Happy Thanksgiving everyone (even to those of you outside the U.S.)!

As for turkey, I worked a summer job in a Norbest butter ball turkey processing plant before college, and haven't touched...
                                Today, 12:57 PM
                              • Arka-Software
                                Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
                                Arka-Software
                                There are many software in the market which are using for vector pattern are:- 1) Inkscape 2) Xara Xtreme 3) Skencil 4) Scribus 5) VRR 6) CoceptDrow PRO 7) ZeusDraw 8) MagicTracer 9) Nodebox 10) Tgif
                                Today, 12:46 PM
                              • PrintDriver
                                Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
                                PrintDriver
                                You want a program that is used to dealing with vector axis data. Photoshop would probably be inappropriate.

The only way I can think to do this is to have a script written for Illustrator...
                                Today, 09:10 AM
                              GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X