X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Artist View Post
    When you're working in Illy and for some odd reason it doesn't LINK the file when you import it... Why? Why would you do that?

I want an "ALWAYS Link the file on import no matter what I say" button.
    another reason to use indy over illy for layout...
    Design is not decoration.

Comment

• Are you dragging from Mac OS Finder, Windows Explorer or Bridge? If you are - then holding the SHIFT key will cause images to place embedded.

Hence not holding the SHIFT key will cause them to be linked.

If you're using File>Place then you can choose the "Link" option on the dialog box when placing.

And if you open a raster image directly from Illustrator File>Open it will embed the image into the file.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

• Yeah and TBH I should've used Indy for this but it started out as just a cover.... then it's "oh add a back cover too please" and then "Oh we need an inside spread too".

Seriously? You couldn't have told me this before?

Wasn't aware of the holding Shift key though... neat trick.
        Less marketing douchebaggery, MORE TANKS!

Comment

• Oh, boy -- medical news I didn't want. *reconfigures life* There! Fixed.

:-S Kinda.

Comment

• Hmmm came here to complain about 1 thing and now I have another to add lol.

Firstly, they wanted a logo to put in email sigs, so I converted the logo to PNG. But at smaller sizes it's a bit blurry on screen and in print. I made the file an EMF, and it works, it's not blurry and prints fine at any size. Yipeee. I send the file along. Get in this morning, "Eh that file has a black background", "hmmmm... It shouldn't", "Why would you send me the wrong format", "eh I didn't..." - all hell breaks loose. "Show me what you're doing please". I get the computer they are working on, sure enough all the files have a black background... "huh?" Ok, I ask them to save the logo from the email - to my HORROR they are saving them as BMP files... "WHAT!?" - problem saved - save as the original file format. I even wrote you a lengthy explanation on why I choose that format and how to use it - why would they save it as a BMP???

Secondly, we have team meetings every Monday. There's an advert supposed to be going in a magazine tomorrow. Nobody has heard anything about this until now. Apparently "management" has known about this for several weeks. They were asked to provide the advert and details WEEKS ago. Now, it's due tomorrow and there's all panic.

Comment

• Stupid pancaking kids in their Canada Goose (errrr wait... You guys have those down in the states?) Jackets, their designer jeans, their iphone, ipod and ipad causing pancaking riots in downtown Montreal.
              Certain schools are planning on raising tuition fees I believe it’ll be raised a grand total of 1600$ over the next 3 years, divided up by semester (266$ per semester). Now Quebec has always had AMAZING tuition rates compared to the rest of North America. Even with these increases the schools will be the lowest in NA except for, I believe, Newfoundland.

It pisses me off that I’m paying such high taxes for a bunch of degenerates who go through the schooling system off daddy’s money and are actually complaining about this. Compared to the states our tuition fees are a freaking joke.

Obviously this is a bit different than most of my friends opinions (however, some of them are for the increase) due to the fact that I’m one of the few done school and working full time.

I know there will always be people taking advantage of the system but still...

</rant>

Comment

• I think anyone who instigates and participates in riots should be expelled (if riots are what they are creating, haven't seen any news links). There are better ways to protest tuition hikes.

Problem is, everyone wants a free lunch. With the cost of everything else going up, tuition is logically going to follow. Or perhaps they'd rather sit in unheated classrooms for the winter to make up the change? I don't imagine that would be too popular in Canada.

Comment

• How long is a semester?

That's €205 euro - which isn't a lot of money really. I had a weekend job that paid that when I was in college. Granted I worked 30 hours from Friday 6pm to Sunday 11pm.

Morale of the story - get a job, pay your way.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Artist View Post
                    Stupid pancaking kids in their Canada Goose (errrr wait... You guys have those down in the states?) Jackets, their designer jeans, their iphone, ipod and ipad causing pancaking riots in downtown Montreal.
                    Certain schools are planning on raising tuition fees I believe it’ll be raised a grand total of 1600$ over the next 3 years, divided up by semester (266$ per semester). Now Quebec has always had AMAZING tuition rates compared to the rest of North America. Even with these increases the schools will be the lowest in NA except for, I believe, Newfoundland.

It pisses me off that I’m paying such high taxes for a bunch of degenerates who go through the schooling system off daddy’s money and are actually complaining about this. Compared to the states our tuition fees are a freaking joke.

Obviously this is a bit different than most of my friends opinions (however, some of them are for the increase) due to the fact that I’m one of the few done school and working full time.

I know there will always be people taking advantage of the system but still...

</rant>
                    Not that I'm a fashionista or anything, but I think they have the Canada Goose jackets in the states, they got their start from being used on movie sets, can't remember why I know that...

Anyways, every generation needs an opportunity to protest something, how valid it is another question. I think the idea is that putting future generations further in debt from the get go isn't helping anyone but lenders... and even then they are taking bigger risks as defaults increase which makes the lending rates higher for everyone...
                    Last edited by kemingMatters; 03-15-2012, 02:03 PM.

Comment

• I don't mind people protesting - and getting their point across. But rioting and violence are not acceptable forms of protest and demeans the protest and it's validity.

Comment

• Originally posted by hank_scorpio View Post
                        I don't mind people protesting - and getting their point across. But rioting and violence are not acceptable forms of protest and demeans the protest and it's validity.
                        I must be desensitized to the term "riot" as it seems to be overused. Totally agree, violence doesn't help/solve anything

Comment

• Putting them into debt? A news article says the tuition rate is $3793 per year. Even in Canadian dollars that isn't going to put anyone into debt for life... I made at least 2x that working part time in a grocery store during school. In the 90s.

While it seems the police may have over-reacted, maybe, can't tell were the news article slant was coming from, if you block public access, you are going to be dealt with. The intent of the"Occupy Movement" they seem to be trying to emulate was to maintain a presence, not to disrupt daily business.

Comment

• Any members down in the states: What is the average tuition costs to spend a year in university? I'm curious...

EDIT: PD Ninja'd me I was just going to post that.

It's ridiculous how they're complaining about that much. Get a part time job if you want to go to school. Find a way.

As Charest keeps trying to inform these angry students, even with the annual increases factored in, the average tuition in Quebec would rise to only $3,793 per year, which would still be among the lowest tuitions in Canada. Tuition at the University of Calgary, for instance, is $5,257 or $6,264 when you include fees. Currently, Canada's top-ranked university -- McGill -- is the eighth-cheapest university in Canada for Quebecers. It charges just $2,168 for basic tuition or $3,727 once all of the compulsory fees are factored in. But, for an out-of-province student -- let's say an Albertan -- basic tuition at McGill costs $5,858 and increases to $7,417 once the fees are added, making it the third-most-expensive tuition in the country for non-Quebecers.
                            Last edited by The Artist; 03-15-2012, 02:15 PM.

Comment

• You hear so much talk about the price of college, it’s easy to get intimidated — but how much does college really cost? The answer is “It varies.” Colleges come in a wide variety and, depending on the choices you make, the price of a college education can be quite reasonable — especially if you think of college as an investment in yourself and your future. Let’s look at the facts:

In 2011-12, 44 percent of all full-time undergraduate college students attend a four-year college that has published charges of less than $9,000 per year for tuition and fees.

At the other end of the spectrum, approximately 28 percent of full-time private nonprofit four-year college students are enrolled in institutions charging $36,000 or more yearly in tuition and fees. These higher-priced colleges sometimes have bigger endowments and more grant aid available — which may mean that you can get more financial help to attend that institution.

At two-year colleges, the average price for tuition and fees is $2,963. Learn about the two-year college experience.

A handful of colleges either charge no tuition at all or offer all students full scholarships covering tuition costs.

Your goal is to choose a college that’s a good fit for you. Think about whether you like the campus culture and if there is enough academic support to help you do well in your classes.

Talk with your family about where you would like to go to college and what you can afford. Then take into account the total cost of attendance through graduation.
                              Sticker Price vs. Affordability

Keep in mind that the actual price the average undergraduate pays for a college education is considerably lower than the published tuition and fees. This is usually due to grants and other forms of financial aid. Look at what it really costs to attend college:

In 2011-12, public four-year colleges charge, on average, $8,244 in tuition and fees for in-state students. The average surcharge for full-time out-of-state students at these institutions is $12,526.
                              Private nonprofit four-year colleges charge, on average, $28,500 per year in tuition and fees.
                              Public two-year colleges charge, on average, $2,963 per year in tuition and fees.

Of course, that’s not the total price. You still have to live somewhere, eat, buy books and supplies, and do your laundry. Read more about additional college costs you need to consider.
                              Factor In Your Financial Aid Award

Most students receive financial aid. In 2010-11, about $178 billion in financial aid was awarded to undergraduate students. The average amount of aid for a full-time undergraduate student was about $12,455, including more than $6,500 in grants that don’t have to be repaid.

So, despite all the talk about high prices and price increases, a college education remains an affordable choice for most families. Learn more about how financial aid works.

Note: Price and aid figures are from the College Board's Trends in College Pricing 2011 and Trends in Student Aid 2011. Learn more online at our Trends in Higher Education website.
                              SOURCE
                              This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                              "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

• Yeh I was working 30 hour weekends during 2001-2005 and I was earning €1000 a month, over 12 months that's €12,000 a year - and given that 7000 Canadian bacon dollars is about €5000 - that fee would have been most welcome.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                                Working...
                                X