X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lith View Post
    Wow KW. That line has ME pissed and I don't have a dog in this fight. I think I might have said something I was going to regret
    That's this guy's personality, I know he didn't mean it the way it sounded. Plus I also know that the reason he and I never get it right on the first try is he wants things a certain way and most of the time it's not possible. So I do the best I can. He is one of many. I can live with it.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

• yea that bit would have gotten me a bit pissy to say the least

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

• Send his butt down to have a chat with the legal department. Then you won't have to argue with him anymore.

Comment

• Legal has an awesome presentation about copyright and I send it to clients all the time. They never look at it. If something like this became too much of a problem, or the client pushed back and claimed I was wrong, I would go through legal for reinforcements. I ain't scared.

The thing that gets me overall is that last year my manager told me I needed to be more assertive. I needed to stand up for my knowledge and expertise (without being a jerk) and offer solutions, suggestions and answers. I was asked to be the copyright expert. Since that time, I have been told I'm wrong and I'm mean. My manager has had to 'talk' to me once at the request of another manager, because I 'hurt the intern's feelings.' Doing exactly what she had asked me to do.
          Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

• That's cool. I didn't know you were already the designated copyright expert. Usually if someone comes to me and asks about something sketchy they'll take my word for it that it's a bad idea. If they persist, I just say "Well I can put it together like that but we'll have to get legal to clear it." I have yet to send anything to legal to get it approved since they always reconsider.

Comment

• Ah, I don't. Like I said, if it gets pushed, I will. The company I work for is large and has a full Creative Services department. But somewhere along the way a couple of departments within the big corporation decided they could afford their own designer. That's me. So my clients send me the projects they need done quickly and easily. Anything 'huge' goes up to CS, and my clients hate it. Especially this sales guy ("Do you know it takes them two weeks to even respond to a job request? And I have to fill out a form!" - the two weeks was because he didn't fill out the form). So I think a lot of my clients think that by sneaking around the 'official' designers, they can also sneak around little things like laws.

My clients also have the same misconceptions about copyright that many people do - it won't be seen externally, I won't be making a profit, let's change it a little and we can use it, let's just cite our source, etc. They come at me with that every time. Either they choose to forget what I've told them before, or they think eventually I'll cave.
              Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

• Spent 4 days in the hospital arguing with Dr's why I can still wait for surgery on my back...yowzer now I know what a 6X epidural spinal shot feels like.
                "Geometry can produce legible letter but art alone makes them beautiful. Art begins where geometry ends, and imparts to letters a character trascending mere measurement."

Comment

• In case you're dying to know how my slide set came out... I ended up making two sets of slides. Sales guy's requested version and the version I originally pitched to him. His response was, "Well, obviously your's is better." Yes, that's because this is what I do.

He did have tweaks, of course. He asked me to remove our company's logo off each slide - even though that's part of the template he loves - because he thinks people will think each slide is about us, not the specific company named on each slide. I recommended we keep to the template and encourage viewers to actually read the text.

He then asked that I remove any references to company names that have changed, since they had their old names when the data was collected. Sure, no one needs to know that XYZ Company is now known as ABC Company, that isn't relevant at all. Especially when there is no information about when the data was collected.

At least it looks better than it would have.
                  Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

• KW, the argument I often have with people who want to blow a copyright out of the water, is their reasoning that, "We're not going to sell it for profit." I carefully point out, that WE'RE selling it for profit. When I get the blank stare, I remind them that our shop is creating it, and selling it to them, for a profit.
                    "I love deadlines. I love the 'whooshing' sound they make when they go by." - Doug Adams
                    LinkedIn

Comment

• Originally posted by Gromit801 View Post
                      Having to do a program for an event. All the art work for ads I'm given are (drum roll), 72dpi webgraphics!

That art looks really familiar...is it from an author on children's books?
                      “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

Comment

• B. Kliban. I would never call him a children's artist. He used to always have stuff in National Lampoon, Playboy, and there's an annual calendar. He's had work published in collections with titles like "Cats," "Never Eat Anything Larger than your Head," and so on.
                        "I love deadlines. I love the 'whooshing' sound they make when they go by." - Doug Adams
                        LinkedIn

Comment

• Nat. Lampoon and Playboy...that must've been where I'd seen it, go figure, my brain thought "kid stuff"!! ;D
                          “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

Comment

• I knew you were my kinda person Brie!
                            LinkedIn

Comment

• Originally posted by BadKharma View Post
                              Spent 4 days in the hospital arguing with Dr's why I can still wait for surgery on my back...yowzer now I know what a 6X epidural spinal shot feels like.
                              Fun times eh??

I hope you feel better soon

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

• Thanks RKK...and this all happens before Portfolio Night. I am doing my best to ditch the cane (they wanted me to use a walker). Although that would attract attention
                                "Geometry can produce legible letter but art alone makes them beautiful. Art begins where geometry ends, and imparts to letters a character trascending mere measurement."

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                                Working...
                                X