Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• approveme
    Reply to Hardware, Software Advice
    approveme
    Hi Paul,

Welcome to this forum, hope you enjoy here.
    Today, 05:59 AM
  • Roth
    Reply to What do you think of my video game cover art?
    Roth
    This is inferior to the original in every way. PD made some very good points already to do with hierarchy, and energy. There are basically three elements, the figure, the name, and the background, so...
    Today, 12:14 AM
  • Roth
    Reply to Logo for a supplement company
    Roth
    This is a bit of a stretch. It's like you saw the H in the weights, ran with it, hit a creative wall and tried really hard to make the rest fit. The logo and name are out of proportion to one another...
    Yesterday, 11:50 PM
  • extraordenary
    extraordenary
    Professional designers either create the images themselves, or get it from someone else with respects to the copyrights. Designers often make sure that the image they have is royalty-free so they don't...
    Yesterday, 11:14 PM
  • graphic91
    graphic91
    Umm...really? I know about the design rules, but where to look first? There's not that much information or "look-at-mes" on it and it's just the cover of a video game. Most people who want to...
    Yesterday, 10:34 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iambunny View Post
    I really, really hate that I cry when I'm angry. I've always been like that and there is nothing I can do about it. It happens at horribly inconvenient times, like at work just now. I got really pissed about something, and had to go into the restroom to let out the tears. I don't sob or anything, but my body's reaction to anger has always been tears. It drives me absolutely bonkers. It's embarassing because I'm not even the slightest bit sad, and I hate always looking like an emotional wimp. I just can't hold them back. It's like my body's reaction to relieve the stress of being angry, because I do always feel much calmer afterwards. It's weird because I'm much better at holding back tears when I'm sad and I'm never one to cry over movies or anything like that. Only when I'm mad do I lose it.

Does anyone else do this or have any tips to make this stop though?

Man I sound like a moron.
    Well you could try to redefine what angers you... I usually try to stop and ask myself "Do I have any control over what caused this?" if the answer is "Well, No." then I try to get past what the caused the anger and deal with problem.

Not saying I don't vent - usually here.
    Design is not decoration.

Comment

• Originally posted by Obsidian86 View Post
      At least you don't get big, green, and destroy cities
      Originally posted by kemingMatters View Post
      Well you could try to redefine what angers you... I usually try to stop and ask myself "Do I have any control over what caused this?" if the answer is "Well, No." then I try to get past what the caused the anger and deal with problem.

Not saying I don't vent - usually here.
      Hehe, sometimes I wish I did Obsidian. Probably more effective than the "keep silent and move on" attitude I usually have.

keming, it's especially weird how quickly I get over being mad. I honestly stay mad for about 30 minutes tops in almost any situation. It's just that right away, as soon as I'm pissed, the tears come. If I don't let them out, it'll just be worse when they finally break out. Angry as I was about this co-worker today though, it all turned out okay. Manager was pissed as well and talked to him about being a moron (not like it got through to him, but makes me happy that he got in trouble...), and I get to make some extra money this weekend while getting a three day weekend the next week. Did turn out too shabby here for me.
      "I want to make beautiful things, even if nobody cares."--Saul Bass

Comment

• Originally posted by seamas View Post
        But it isn't "misninformation".
        The misinformation: just because you call it a pit bull doesn't make it a true pit bull. Most of the time the dogs are called pits because they have the look but usually are a mix of something. They are not true "pit bull" breeds. Unfortunately the people who breed them to be aggressive give a bad name to all the others.

We rescued a "pit bull" (she is a staffordshire bull terrier and pointer mix, to use the correct names). She had been beaten (she is deathly afraid of belts) and possibly used as a bait dog, and she is the biggest baby. She lets my miniature daschhund (all of 7 lbs) boss her around.

Unfortunately I think this is a topic where there is no changing the minds of either side.

Comment

• Just hope she is fixed.

I'm in favor of sterilization of just about all dogs, any exceptions must apply for permits. Too many dogs, not enough owners, too many puppy mills, too many pit bulls. Just about every ASPCA kennel is filled with Pit Bulls. Guarantee you that these dogs weren't born from "reputable" kennels.

There really isn't much confusion of what breeds are being discussed. Both breeds were derived through similar mixes for identical aims and identical purposes.

Like I said, I am not claiming ALL are instantly "bad" dogs.
          Just that they ARE undeniably bred with certain traits in mind. When those traits kick in, someone--or someone's dog gets mauled. Badlly.

All dogs create potential liabilities for their owners, but there is no question that some breeds have far more dangerous traits, more lethal capabilities --and having one roam the yard is no different than having an unfenced swimming pool. or a loaded gun sitting around the house.

There is no legitimate reason for people to keep breeding such animals --unless we make dog fighting legal.

Get'em ALL fixed.
          Keep Saturn in Saturnalia.

Comment

Just hope she is fixed.

I'm in favor of sterilization of just about all dogs, any exceptions must apply for permits. Too many dogs, not enough owners, too many puppy mills, too many pit bulls. Just about every ASPCA kennel is filled with Pit Bulls. Guarantee you that these dogs weren't born from "reputable" kennels.

There really isn't much confusion of what breeds are being discussed. Both breeds were derived through similar mixes for identical aims and identical purposes.

Like I said, I am not claiming ALL are instantly "bad" dogs.
            Just that they ARE undeniably bred with certain traits in mind. When those traits kick in, someone--or someone's dog gets mauled. Badlly.

All dogs create potential liabilities for their owners, but there is no question that some breeds have far more dangerous traits, more lethal capabilities --and having one roam the yard is no different than having an unfenced swimming pool. or a loaded gun sitting around the house.

Get'em ALL fixed.
            I agree with all of this. Dogs (and cats) should be fixed. But I think blaming an entire breed is a little much. It's a bit like saying the dog fighting in my area can be blamed on everyone because we live in the same area, not the few who are actually responsible.

Comment

• not to stray too far off topic here but...

I hate it that the office is so very chilly, enough the guy in the cube opposite me wears a sweater/coat and has a heater on. and it is a humid, sweaty 85 degrees outside.
              Dribbble Page
              Behance Portfolio
              Linkedin Profile

Comment

• Originally posted by BJMRamage View Post
                not to stray too far off topic here but...

I hate it that the office is so very chilly, enough the guy in the cube opposite me wears a sweater/coat and has a heater on. and it is a humid, sweaty 85 degrees outside.
                My office is freezing too. I am wearing a sweater right now and have to put my heater on sometimes. And it's 80+ outside.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadAmanda View Post
                  But I think blaming an entire breed is a little much.
                  I disagree.
                  Breeds are the result of human engineering.

Blaming the breeds is blaming the breeders. Nothing wrong with that. It is a problem with people.
                  People should STOP breeding animals for anti-social purposes.

There is plenty of "error" in breeding and dog breeds.
                  Most responsible breeders end a line once undesirable traits come about (happens all the time)

But with the "macho' breeds, what common sense would say is undesirable, is HIGHLY desirable.
                  Keep Saturn in Saturnalia.

Comment

• Wonder what the ratio of Pitbulls that attack to ones that don't is?

100:1?

1000:1?

10,000:1?

I'm betting higher than that. Way higher.

CORGI"S FOR EVERYONE!!!
                    I feel like a city kid who has stumbled into a town

Comment

• Oh good lord. So for everyone who has been following my moving saga...

Boyfriend accepted the 6 month contract with the CA company today, with the promise to turn full-time in house if the game does well. He's getting a $21,000/year pay increase with that one so you bet he is happy.

However, a studio in Canada also e-mailed him today to tell him they have a position that is opening up that he might be interested in. This is a very good studio and could also be a really, really nice opportunity for him. There is no offer or anything yet, but there is a chance of it coming up in the next few months.

Now I have no idea what's going to happen. From California to Canada lol...I wonder where we will end up!

Comment

I disagree.
                        Breeds are the result of human engineering.

Blaming the breeds is blaming the breeders. Nothing wrong with that. It is a problem with people.
                        People should STOP breeding animals for anti-social purposes.

There is plenty of "error" in breeding and dog breeds.
                        Most responsible breeders end a line once undesirable traits come about (happens all the time)

But with the "macho' breeds, what common sense would say is undesirable, is HIGHLY desirable.
                        Again I agree with this sentiment. However, the dogs you are describing are not true breeds. They are called pit bulls because of the way they look, not because of their bloodlines. Most of the pit bulls that are bred for fighting are mixed breeds of some sort. It's the head that make them "pit bulls". Example: My dog looks like a pointer head to tail except for her massive head.

The American pit bull terrier was not bred to be aggressive. Article about their origins and stuff: http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/B...November12008/
                        Quote from the article: The APBT is not the best choice for a guard dog since they are extremely friendly, even with strangers. Aggressive behavior toward humans is uncharacteristic of the breed.

Again, I think this where we will have to agree to disagree.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadAmanda View Post
                          Again, I think this where we will have to agree to disagree.
                          I think most of the anti-pitbull people were stressing the dog's aggressive behavior towards other animals over humans, but I agree with the above. I know my mind won't be changed, silly to think others might be.
                          Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

• I don't like any dog.
                            Just today someone with a pit on a loosely held leash let their dog stand and growl at me without doing anything about it. I firmly told that dog to sit. Lucky for the owner that it did. That dog is going to be a liability to him someday.

Comment

• wow...gotta say I'm glad I missed this...This will be my 1 and only post on the subject.

I'm a firm believer that there are no bad dogs, just bad owners. K, maybe bad is a bit of a harsh word....mostly, it's that the people don't know the proper way to raise that type of dog. I absolutely love dogs, always have, have no fear of them, even after being rushed to the hospital when I was 5 after a German Shepard tore open the side of my face. I have encountered pits in all their forms. The cuddly ones on the couch, the lazy ones on the floor, and even the aggressive one that attacked my dog. However, the reason for the attack? The pit had gotten out of the owners yard (remember what I said about owners?) and was running down the street, having a merry ol' time! It came around a corner at the exact same time that we opened the car door and my dog (Black Lab/Gordon Setter) jumped out. It spooked the pit, and he was on my dog in a shot. We quickly got the 2 dogs apart, and the pit calmed right down, sat on the grass with us and was our best friend. Even made friends with my dog.

Yes, pits have that aggressive streak in them....but no worse than most humans. I can be quick to anger, and instantly go into "fight" mode. Flight or Fight is the deepest instinct all living creatures have. Some dogs/people go into flight mode, the rest go into fight mode...this doesn't make 1 person/breed worse than the others. By that logic, I'm a bad person, and pits are a bad breed. But that's only because the people making these judgements and calls haven't actually taken the time to get to know the other.

I love pit bulls. Their tiny ears make me giggle, as do their personalities. I know what pits are like. Short tempered, and quick to react to it, but really, at the root, they're just as affectionate and kind as every other dog.

With my luck, the next dog on the list will be Boxers, shortly after I get mine lol.
                              Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
                              | Karl Marx |

A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.
                              | Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

• Originally posted by Bladez View Post
                                With my luck, the next dog on the list will be Boxers, shortly after I get mine lol.
                                My mom has a boxer. She's scared of EVERYTHING and totally goofy. I can't even imagine them being the next public enemy #1.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                                Working...
                                X