X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We haven't done a gift exchange here for a couple years. I'm relieved because it generally just feels like an exercise of "Everyone, please pass $20 to the person on your left." We do have a party with catered finger foods and drinks. It goes on for a couple hours in the afternoon and everyone generally stops by for a bit and then goes back to work. It's nice and lowkey and totally optional.

They used to go all out at my previous employer. We were a small company — less than 10 people and the owners would take everyone and a guest to one of the fancier restaurants in town. Then toward the end of the evening they'd pass around the bonus checks. We had locations in KC and Chicago and one year they even flew us all to Chicago and paid for the hotel too. We'd have a small in office party too and do a white elephant gift exchange. We were encouraged to find odds and ends from around our own homes to contribute so that was actually pretty fun. I still prize the brass crab I received that has a flip open carapace for an ash tray.

Comment

• That was my thoughts exactly Kermie. It was more a slap in the face then anything. As much as we loved the Lady Bic, I'm sure the male employees really loved it

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

• I love lady bic too, much more gentle on my delicate skin. I've never really been one for brute manly bic.
        "I used to wonder what friendship could be, Until you all shared its magic with me." - Jesus Christ

Comment

• we are now having a white elephant gift exchange where you can give a gift from something in the house or buy someting $25 limit.

i hate that as you can get good things...and not so good things.
          last year i got a $15 itunes card...almost had the Steve Jobs book but taken. and i gave a $20 motorized wine opener.
          Dribbble Page
          Behance Portfolio
          Linkedin Profile

Comment

• In office catering, the party at the fancy restaurant, the plane trip to Chicago, and the comped hotel room. All fine and dandy.

But this:

Originally posted by Yossarian View Post
            I still prize the brass crab I received that has a flip open carapace for an ash tray.
            Now you're just bragging
            I feel like a city kid who has stumbled into a town

Comment

• Lol! It IS pretty great!

Comment

• I think originally white elephant gift exchanges were meant to let you get rid of one horrid, ugly thing in your house and gift it guilt-free. Most of them now seem to allow a re-gift or the purchase of a new gift. We try to mix it up for ours, so at least a couple of the gifts are just awful. Last year I got a motorized Santa that 'climbed' up a chain. We got him to 'climb' twice before he broke, and he just looked like he was humping the chain. We're still not sure what we were supposed to hang him from. We removed the chain, replaced it with a steel rod and stuck him in the ground in the front yard. He disappeared at some point.
                Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

• Originally posted by Red Kittie Kat View Post
                  That was my thoughts exactly Kermie. It was more a slap in the face then anything. As much as we loved the Lady Bic, I'm sure the male employees really loved it
                  That beats the year my ex-boss handed out peanuts to everyone. Stale peanuts.

Janet

Comment

• I'm not expecting anything in the way of a bonus, maybe not even an office lunch. It's only two of us, and OUR economy hasn't recovered yet.
                    "I love deadlines. I love the 'whooshing' sound they make when they go by." - Doug Adams
                    LinkedIn

Comment

• Originally posted by Gromit801 View Post
                      I'm not expecting anything in the way of a bonus, maybe not even an office lunch. It's only two of us, and OUR economy hasn't recovered yet.
                      What's a bonus? lol

I haven't gotten a christmas bonus since I worked in the locksmith shop in '02. One place I worked didn't hand out bonuses to anyone, except the owner. One year he gave himself a $750,000 bonus.....I hated that boss! and he only ever came into the office every other day for about 6 months. The other 6, he was on vacation.
                      Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
                      | Karl Marx |

A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.
                      | Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

• Bonus? I can't remember the last time we got a bonus. It sounds like the crunch has everyone tightened up hard. I get it though. I mean, it's pretty rough to host a Christmas party when people are losing their jobs. Still, it's a nice once a year chance to thank your staff for working hard etc. It's just sad that my coworkers don't want to be part of it.

Treat your staff like gold and they will treat your company like they own it.

I do love my bosses though. They treat me like another one of their kids. When we do have functions, they always make sure we're having a good time.
                        It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

• I got bonuses for the first two years I was here, each equivalent to half a paycheck (so one week of work). I also got raises those two years. I've gotten neither for about 4-5 years.

I like my boss well enough, but in the last few years he's lost focus on what to do to grow the business and doesn't really listen when we tell that such-n-such is a better idea, or that it will take x hours to complete a project or why a particular technique or plugin or whatnot will not work for what we need, etc. Gets frustrating after a while.
                          Last edited by Virgo Nightingale; 12-03-2012, 09:03 PM.

blog/portfolio

Comment

• You guys are making me appreciate what I have and where I work a whole lot more than I already do.
                            Design is not decoration.

Comment

• Yeah, no kidding.

Comment

• We got a $10 phone calling card one year. I don't call anyone, so I gave mine to another employee.
                                No cell phone, no Facebook, no iAnything. Am I missing something?

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                                Working...
                                X