Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KitchWitch
    Reply to Are you interested in selling your company?
    KitchWitch
    Hi 858 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 04:28 AM
  • thebombman53
    Reply to Portfolio Site Design
    thebombman53
    I know of those sites - I actually have profiles on them. The point of building it myself is to give me practice with web design. Again, why I'm here asking for criticism. If you have any feedback, it...
    Today, 01:02 AM
  • Buster_
    Reply to Portfolio Site Design
    Buster_
    I can appreciate that you're trying to build your site from scratch, but why not use a portfolio hosting site that offers free templates until you're more comfortable with web design? There are plenty...
    Today, 12:05 AM
  • salsa
    Reply to Getting started...
    salsa
    If you're not sure you're making enough, figure out you income per hour and take into account all your expenses and overhead and blah blah blah. It takes some time to put together the spreadheets, or...
    Today, 12:02 AM
  • salsa
    Comment on Crit on my first business card? No client, experimental.
    salsa
    em: —
    en: –
    hypehn: -
    Yesterday, 11:53 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bladez, I think you just found a new level of incompetence... We all feel your pain!

Look on the bright side, it could have been worse... at least it was scanned and e-mailed...... it could have just as easily been a fax!

Are you going to run it as supplied or is that someone else's decision to ponder?
    "No one ever called the fire department for doing something smart"
    - unknown

"There's never enough time to do it right; but there always seems to be enough time to do it twice!"
    - Me (not really, but I say it a lot)

Comment

• well, I'm seeing what we can do about it, I'm in touch with them about it (they only wanted a 1 colour ad, and this one is a full colour, so there's a whole other issue). so we'll see what they come back with. Luckily it's a fairly simple ad and was scanned at high res, so it's not to terrible (once I got in and adjusted the hell outta the colour) I may have to run it tho (my publisher is a firm believer in "Shit in, Shit out")
      Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
      | Karl Marx |

A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.
      | Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

• Your posts make me glad I have an in-house job and don't have to deal with outside clients.

That being said....

I know I've been slacking on this recognition party we've been planning because I've been trying to finish a project that needed to be wrapped up months ago, catch up my own regular stuff and do the immediate stuff my boss needs "sooner rather than later". But don't try to save me time by suggesting I do something halfway and send it to someone else to finish.

And 90% of the time this team has a meeting, I walk away feeling like nothing has been accomplished or decided. Every new idea is the best one and later everyone has a different idea of what we decided.

Argh!
        "It's not that I don't want to trust people. It's that they give me reasons not to." ~ Me

Comment

• Ah, DH, Committees. A special kind of Magic Kingdom. And not in a good way.
          This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
          "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

• Doing a catalogue for a real estate company. Each branch sends me their own images and text. A few branches have named all of their images "main.jpg" or "insert.jpg" instead of a filename that might actually be useful to me. I started trying to sort them out and figure out which "main.jpg" belonged to which property. But realised it was ridiculous and too much guesswork.

Why can't people just do as they are told?

Thank goodness there are some branches that name their images with the property address. I know they can do it properly, some just choose not to.

I've asked the offending branches to resend to be with proper filenames.
            It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

• This is classic! Happened last night. This is the email I get. Note the time. Also, 'him' refers to the CEO. lmao.

Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2010 4:36 PM
              To: Nick
              Subject: new brochure

Doc attached. I’ll explain. Would like to get to him by end of day…
              The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

• w'as amatter, u? Can't do a nice brochure in 20 minutes? Or do you guys close at 5:30. Now that's another matter indeed. LOL.

Comment

• Originally posted by budafist View Post

Why can't people just do as they are told?

.... I know they can do it properly, some just choose not to.
                  I feel your pain...I've be regurtitating our training manual to our team via email to remind them of how we should be doing things. To celebrate the one year anniversary, I sent a quiz. They day after, I got a call about something that would have been answered if she'd done the quiz or at least reviewed the manual or emails. Not to mention I should not have to be sending out the reminders in the first place! We got another stupid call today and my manager had the same reaction I did: *facepalm*
                  "It's not that I don't want to trust people. It's that they give me reasons not to." ~ Me

Comment

• Originally posted by MD View Post
                    In the end that is not a customer that you are going to want to keep. Trust me ... the extra money may look good short term but it will not be worth the future headache.

I do some freelance work for a print broker. A customer of hers (trucking company) wanted some brochures done. Here were the original instructions I got.

I want a brochure. Make a background and put some trucks on it. I don't have any copy or an idea of what I want to put in yet but I want something to show the bosses at the meeting tomorrow.

I crank out a few proofs over the next couple weeks and after 6 hours of clock time she finally supplies the information I needed to really get started on the project. I cranked out the final version (including proofs and adjustments) in about 2 hours.

She gets the bill and states to the broker ... that artwork charge is too much, I am only paying you half of that. The broker takes the loss (I got paid in full) because she didn't want to screw up the rest of the business she does with them. (business cards, forms, letterheads, promotional items, etc.)

After that job she started dictating prices prices and wanted everything rushed. We also started quoting things "artwork only" because she wanted to start printing things like postcards off the laser printer in her office. Those projects quoted (flat rate price) and became a pain in the ass because of all the minor changes. The customer became irate when I refused a rush project because she would not issue a purchase order in advance, and wanted the project done way too cheap. Finally the broker came to her senses and fired that shit customer.

I get an e-mail from her the other day asking for the source files for the brochure that she shorted the broker on. HA! Good luck with that!
                    Damn that is really annoying! At least you got paid though I guess. yeah I have some people that give me deadlines due the same day. I never take those kind of jobs unless they are willing to pay a hefty extra charge. I also have people phone me up at stupid times in the evening asking for stuff for that night or the next morning. Sometimes I wish phones didn't exist and they had to come see me, I'd make them stand on a trap door and I didn't like what they had to say I'd pull the lever

Comment

• I have a client who has rejected a perfectly good piece of work, and is asking me to literally copy somebody else's work down to the last detail. I am fuming!!!

I've been freelancing for just 5 years, and I think this could be it.....I think this could be the last straw today - I can't take this shit anymore - goin to look for another job this week, something I can at least make some money in and not feel like some art/design prostitute who people are always trying to shaft at any opportunity

Comment

• ^^ you get that in the corporate world too.

I just roll with it. I do draw the line at actually copy and paste design, though.

Jade

Comment

• Originally posted by Drazan View Post
                          ^^ you get that in the corporate world too.

I just roll with it. I do draw the line at actually copy and paste design, though.

Jade
                          To true, getting shafted is part of being a designer. If its not clients doing it then its sales reps. We are the first to get blamed when something goes wrong and the last to get any credit when it goes right.

What I love is when reps take their sweet time giving me artwork (that I know they have had for ages and not done anything with) and then telling me I have to do a rush job because the client wants it ASAP. So I have to rush because they were to lazy to pass things on when they got them.

I love making other people look good

Comment

• Have a friend that started up his own business. So I decided I'd chip in and give him some small print runs.

It started off yesterday when I told him I'd have a nice run of 6,000 flyers for him, to be delivered to a postal service on Wednesday morning.

Grand. No bothers.

Then I was told that there would be more flyers going with this in a mail shot. So I said ok. I asked him would he send another 6,000 aswell.

Grand.

Then the quantity changed to 4,500 each. No problem that's fine.

Then I got a two sided flyer to go with it, 4,500 each. Ok, he was hesitant but said he'd make the Wednesday morning delivery.

Then another thing was added, 4,500 letters from a data merge.

All of a sudden a quick little job for his little printing company is up to approx. 20,000.

It's still Monday.

So I get over the files for most things and he gets them printed. But at 5.30 last night the director went home and there was still text to come in from someone through him that didn't arrive.

I get the text at 9.00 a.m. this morning (it's tuesday now). And I send it my mate at 9.30 a.m. Still with the delivery time of Wednesday morning.

Director comes in and tells me that we have to have the prints at the postal service for 3.00 p.m. today (Tuesday).

So in the past day and a half, leaflets have been designed, proofed, appox. 20,000 printed, delivered, sorted, merged, folded, inserted in envelopes and sent out in the evening post.

The stress of it all... bloody hell.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

• got this email from a customer this morn:

Finally – [name] is asking if [we] can design a header for the beautiful brand spankin’ new recognition wall [job we did about 3 months ago] She would like it to say DONOR RECOGNITION WALL instead of Invest In Youth Campaign. There is a new [company name] logo that will be coming out in July, so that would be on hold and there is a new tag line that will be added. With the missing information, could you still come up with something and e-mail it to me?

*headdesk*

basically they want me to design the 'back ground' without knowing what the logo will look like, the tagline or anything else really.

where the f**k is my magic wand today?
                              Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing.
                              - Randy K. Milholland

Comment

• Phone call yesterday:

"We (chiropractor's office) would like a new ad to run in the paper starting next month (they have a recurring full page ad that runs in a local weekly paper). We want it to be different, so it'll be more eye-catching than what we've been running. As far as the topic, we're not entirely sure, either orthopedics, MUA (manipulation under anesthesia) or PRP (platelet rich plasma injections)."

Hm. You want a new ad, but you can't even narrow down a topic for us. Thanks.

Oh, and since this is to start running next month, the first edition will be out June 3rd. The deadline is always the Monday before. Monday's a holiday. I saw a printed email on a coworker's desk (she's the one who reserves newspaper ad space for clients and keeps track of the deadlines) saying that because of the holiday, all ads must be submitted this Wednesday. That's tomorrow. And we still have to narrow down the topic, write the copy, design the ad, get their approval and submit to the paper. Joy.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                                Working...
                                X