X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article: Coping With Clients Who Use Your Concept Design Without Paying

A great blog from Pariah S. Burke of Designorati:

http://designorati.com/articles/t1/g...out-paying.php

"A client has taken your concept design and hired someone else to execute it for less money. The client is reaping the benefits of your talent and skill, but you’re still eating generic mac n’ cheese. What recourse do you have?"

It is a must read!
    Last edited by morea; 01-11-2008, 07:37 PM. Reason: link updated
    "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

another good read:

Educate Lowballers and Stop Lowballing
    (from our sister site, the creative forum)

http://web.archive.org/web/200501111...read.php?t=155
    Last edited by morea; 02-09-2012, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Watermarks with a date stamp in them are wonderful things.

*EDIT*
      OR you can put this at the bottom (small) of every page for concepts:

NOTICE: THE DESIGNS SHOWN AND DESCRIBED HEREIN INCLUDING ALL TECHNICAL DRAWINGS, GRAPHICS AND MODELS THEREIN ARE PROPRIETARY AND CANNOT BE COPIED, DUPLICATED OR COMMERCIALLY EXPLOITED, IN WHOLE OR IN PART, WITHOUT THE EXPRESS WRITTEN PERMISSION OF [insert your company name]. AVAILABLE FOR LIMITED REVIEW AND EVALUATION BY CLIENTS, CONSULTANTS, CONTRACTORS, GOVERNMENT AGENCIES, VENDORS AND OFFICE PERSONNEL ONLY IN ACCORDANCE WITH THIS NOTICE.

We have this ^ on our drawings.
      Last edited by Navian; 02-20-2006, 02:51 PM.
      pas·sion
      If there is no passion in your life, then have you already lived? Find your passion, whatever it may be. Become it, and let it become you, and you will find great things happen for you, to you, and because of you.
      -T. Alan Armstrong

Comment

seriously, this article should be read in its entirety and bookmarked in case you ever need to refer to it. It is incredibly well written and straightforward and offers professional ways to stand up for your rights.

Comment

I'm reading it, and I'll print it out for class on Wednesday (business and marketing for graphic design).
          pas·sion
          If there is no passion in your life, then have you already lived? Find your passion, whatever it may be. Become it, and let it become you, and you will find great things happen for you, to you, and because of you.
          -T. Alan Armstrong

Comment

excellent!

Comment

Good links....I especially like that picture they used with the first article.

Comment

yeah, that was a classic!

Comment

where's the paragraph about chasing and beating? lol
                  It's not about the world of design.
                  It's about the design of the world.
                  Massive Change

Comment

it's implied, I think.

Comment

Defeated by the unassailable fortress of deliberate ignorance, you thank the client and hang up.
                      Bookmarked.

Comment

morea...the designorati article is choice read...looks like a choice site too...now i'm off to read the other one you posted...lol...thanks so much...this is very helpful!
                        Monarchs Rule!

Comment

As part of the services I offer, I make signs. I recently made a "coming soon" banner for a local resturant, and was lined up to work on their logo and do signs, menus, etc. the project went cold & I was busy with other work. A couple of months later my girlfriend came home and told me that the resturant had used my banner design as their logo. the banner was nothing special, but was one of a series of designs that I use as "standards". But I know my rights, what they had done was steal my intellectual property. Any design set in any medium, is your "original work of authorship" and is protected by law. So I sent them a strongly worded letter informing them that they had indeed used my design with out my permission, and they owed me my design fee or would have to face court action. they paid.
                          Know your rights & always include on any sketch or proposed design that the design is yours and giving them a copy is in no way implying that they have any right to it. And if they use it, take them to court, you will have an easy time proving that you own the design, and they will have to pay.

Comment

Well done. Thank you for sharing your experience, and welcome to the forum!

Comment

morea a question

what if we design say a leaflet or some one and (we print it ) then later on they get some one else to do a leaflet that is nearly 90% the same as we had given them in the past

the point is if they paid for it isnt it now fully theirs
                              When I awoke today, suddenly nothing happened
                              But in my dreams, I slew the dragon

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X