Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's the difference between ownage rights and usage rights. Very much like the photography world.

Comment

that sounds like a question about copyright infringement... and I am not terribly well versed in that subject. It would probably depend on what was included in your contract and what the laws are in your area. In that case, I would think the best thing to do would be to consult an attorney.
      "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

You can't copyright a concept though… right?

Thats more like ethics- they will burn in hell,lol.

Comment

There you go, that's a good answer.
          "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

YAY, this just happened to me! I'm glad I read this a while ago
            In this post there are 47 people, none of them can be seen.

Comment

Hey something similar happened to me too.

I was freelancing for one of the big tea making companies. Had finished designing packaging for one of their premium products. And was breaking my head creating new identity for them.

The owner’s wife wanted me to help her design a wedding invitation card for someone (Not paid of course!!) Which she wanted printed and ready in 5 days!!!

( Oh in my country Wedding Invites are a BIG thing.. everything has to be exclusive)

Politely I told her that I won’t be able to as I was too busy with other projects. But I offered to show her few of the good examples that I had.

One of them was a card designed by me for my sister’s wedding. I clearly told her not to create anything similar to that as only wish of my sister was that her wedding card should be totally different than anything that we have ever seen till date. And my design had surely matched that brief!! Even after the marriage we kept getting calls telling how beautiful and exclusive the invitation card was.

So I took a few cards to her the next day. She said ‘she was busy and so why don’t I leave them behind so that she could go through them later’.

I dint have very good feeling about that but still I did so.

That evening I fell sick for about a week. And so my next visit to that office happened only after 20 days. After the work was done I went to meet their in-house designers, who are my friends too. There, one of the junior designers showed me the latest work he had to do…. Which was COPING MY CARD!!!

It had the same concept, colours and layout as the card designed by me!!
              The only thing which was changed was that, there were no floral graphics but just the empty colour patches. And that too was just because the designer who copied my work would have taken at least two days to reproduce the graphics!!

Ohh I was so furious ….. I just left that place.

But I still feel frustrated cause I dint say anything to that bitch!!

This whole issue was about ethics …. I was just helping and this is what I got in return!!!

Comment

moreover.. did anyone notice this site in the article.. I thought it was a joke, but it's not? http://GetAFreelancer.com? read this site and see how low people go for the all mighty dollar ...breaks my heart .. it's pure exploitation.

-Jon

Comment

i feel ill
                  When I awoke today, suddenly nothing happened
                  But in my dreams, I slew the dragon

Comment

Thank you for posting this article! I appreciate it!
                    ~Mae

Comment

Originally posted by orkaknos12
                      moreover.. did anyone notice this site in the article.. I thought it was a joke, but it's not? http://GetAFreelancer.com? read this site and see how low people go for the all mighty dollar ...breaks my heart .. it's pure exploitation.

-Jon
                      I just get worried if the designs they do is original or they copy copyright material since they live in foreign countries.

Comment

Sue them.

Comment

Originally posted by vaughn
                          Sue them.
                          You can not sue them if they don't live in canada or the states. many countries are using copyright material all the time. I will not name the countries but they are many.

Comment

Never leave any of your work with anyone. Never.
                            I don't care if the job is worth millions. Make sure you charge them good for the tea design your doing.

Comment

Slap them with a wet fish.
                              It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by budafist
                                Slap them with a wet fish.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                                Working...
                                X