Should the client still pay?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the client still pay?

A client needed a logo for one of their departments. Several guys had already made one that they weren't sure they liked, so they asked me, a freelance graphic designer, to come up with a few more options to consider. Three rounds of concepts and two months of deliberation later, they've decided they want to use the original logo that they had created in-house. It seems obvious that they would still need to pay me for my time. However, I also want them to use me in the future and don't want to burn this bridge. Should I write it off or charge them for the work? (No, there was no contract in this instance. Yes, I know that was a bad decision.)

Hi Kjg1025 and welcome to GDF.

Have you mentioned payment to them, or are you asking if you should even mention it? As you stated, no contract was a mistake. Was payment mentioned at all at any time in this process? If not, they may assume they got your ideas for free and would only have to pay if they used you logo.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Send them the bill!

Comment

That's really awkward without a contract in place. They might see things as not having purchased anything, while you see it as billing for your time. If it were me, I'd send them an invoice. If they question it, tell them that you're billing them for the time spent on the project. If they don't like that answer, well, you might have a hard time collecting.

As for them using you in the future, if they turn out to be of the mindset that they owe you nothing at this point, you might not want to work with them down the road anyway.

Comment

For future reference I would recommend getting a deposit before any work is started.

Comment

Lesson learned. Don't ever work without a contract again.

Comment

Was there at least a conversation if not a contract? Because if this is the first they're hearing about needing to pay you for that time it's not going to go over well. I would eat that, personally.

Comment

YOU NEED A CONTRACT.
                YOU NEED A CONTRACT!
                I can't stress this enough!

That being said, https://vimeo.com/22053820

Comment

I'm with B. You are setting a terrible precisdent if you let it slide. It will happen again. Bill them for your time. Don't be foolish.

Comment

It was very bad to here from you. I would say thanks for sharing this case study here. So other will be aware of future issues and follow the best business steps.

No one knows that the client will pay you or not. I suggest you to mailed client regarding the matter with the humble request. Now it's all depend on him/his honesty.

Comment

Always take a deposit. If they are serious about the project, A deposit shouldn't be a problem. Also, make sure you watermark or password protect your PDF proofs when sending to any client. Otherwise there's nothing stopping the client from using your work and not paying you for the job.

For this particular case, it doesn't look like you'll be getting paid. Lesson learned.

Comment

Semi-zombie thread. This post is almost two years old and the OP hasn't been back since it posted.
                        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                        Working...
                        X