Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about my work.

Hello,

I've been doing graphic design for a couple of year now tho I've only been ask for paid work twice most of the time I do "free" work for people I was just wondering if anyone can check out my work and tell me is my quality is worth charging people for it?

Link to my work: http://andrewsalfinger.tumblr.com

Thank you for your time and I hope you have a great day / night.

What other qualifications do you have other than a couple of years of ''doing''?

Comment

• AndrewSalfinger
      AndrewSalfinger commented
      Editing a comment
      What do you mean by "other qualifications"?

• KitchWitch
      KitchWitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you have a four-year degree in graphic design? Are you in school for graphic design? What is your level of experience, aside from saying you've been ''doing'' graphic design for a year? I think that's what he means.

• AndrewSalfinger
      AndrewSalfinger commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the comment and no I don't have any "experience" in turns of a degree / not on school for graphic design.

I've just been doing it on and off in my spare time, that's my "experience "

I made this post to try and understand were I stand as a graphic designer and what I need to do in order to become one I guess is what I'm trying to say. I just don't know if I'm any good at, if that make any sense.

Originally posted by AndrewSalfinger View Post
    ...check out my work and tell me is my quality is worth charging people for it?
    There are some nice pictures there, but the quality of graphic design can't be judged by looking at pictures.

Producing graphics is only one aspect of the profession. The "design" component of the job refers to solutions. Clients have a need to fill; a message to convey; a business or product to promote. A competent graphic designer provides consultative expertise with respect to Marketing, Consumer Science, Sales, Product Strategy, Business Growth, Legal, etc., along with all the technical elements of executing a campaign, like print production, copywriting, online presence, sign making, exhibit design, and more.

The client pays a graphic designer to help a business become more successful. That overarching context is what constitutes the success or failure of graphic design. It can't be seen in some pictures you posted.

I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

To be frank, your portfolio looks like a digital sketchbook. This is fine, as you are 20 years old and all I was doing back then was messing around too. But as far as working for clients, whether they pay you or not, is probably something you should put off until you have had an education in graphic design and time to develop your skills.

Comment

It depends- did you create those icons/logos/themes on your portfolio page? I see allot of good work, but I don't know the extent of what you put into it. Also, I would remove repeat images from your portfolio. There are several that look the same except for a small variation.

But all in all nice job!

Comment

I agree with salsa but I also believe that ALL creative work should be charged for, regardless of the skill you have and time involved. You don't have to charge $50 an hour if you don't feel you have enough skill but you should at least charge something because you are able to do things that non-creatives can't.

Originally posted by salsa View Post
          To be frank, your portfolio looks like a digital sketchbook. This is fine, as you are 20 years old and all I was doing back then was messing around too. But as far as working for clients, whether they pay you or not, is probably something you should put off until you have had an education in graphic design and time to develop your skills.
          If you don't know the difference between Helvetica and Arial, we can't be friends..

Comment

From someone who DOES get paid for design work this might sound like heresy, but there are many people who simply cannot afford to pay professional designers. There will always be a place for people to offer their creativity and skills to help others. If you can get compensated for that help (and that is what you want), excellent! But it can also be hazardous to put yourself out there as a graphic designer if you don't have the training, experience, etc. to fulfill what your clients need.

Comment

I like your works. I suggest you compare your rate to how much a graphic designer is paid in your area. You can ask hourly, monthly or per project basis.

Comment

Hello and thank you so much to everyone who was commented on this post and for the input you all have given. It's been a while since I was last on here and since I made this post, a lot had changed. I'm not charging for ever design I do along with now studying at SAE for my bachelor of graphic design (second trimester)

Again thank you to everyone, your posts had helped me open my eyes in terms of charging for design along learning more about design and getting a degree.

Comment

Great work. Nice, impressed.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                  Working...
                  X