Yes, I did spec work. Now I want out!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, I did spec work. Now I want out!

SO, backstory: I solicited an up-and-coming magazine. They responded well to my work and asked if I could do a sample page to see if it would be a good fit. I did and they LOVED it. Now they are asking me to make some changes to it (line it up with their grid, font styles, etc). How do I say, sure but not for free? I made it clear in the initial conversation that I would love to be a part of their team but I don't have the time to take on volunteer work.
    It's an interesting magazine and I think we would get along well but I just simply don't want to continue down this path. I have to say, I did this once before and it is now a fruitful longterm relationship (financially and work wise).

"Changes will be no problem once we agree on pricing and get a contract signed." They asked for a sample, they got one. That job is done. Now it's a new job, one you get paid for.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Succinct. Straight-forward. Thank you!

Comment

If you are sure you didn't misunderstand the original instructions reply "Sure I can do that. Alterations are $_____ per hour. I estimate this should take ____ hours. I will send over a quick contract that you can sign and get back to me. I look forward to working with you."

Comment

I'm kinda curious why, in the first place, you didn't align it to their grid and use their font styles?
          As a magazine, there must be some examples out there that drew your attention to them in the first place.
          If your idea was to mix it up and they are reining you in, is that what you want?

Comment

They didn't provide anything other than the content. That would've been ideal but I guess they didn't want to share their stuff yet since they are still working on their first issue. It took me two weeks just to get dimensions.

Actually they came to my attention from a LinkedIn article they wrote about how they were starting their own publication.

Comment

Oh and I did ask about the grid but now after I submitted a sample they sent me a page from the magazine. The grid is weird and super specific. It's one of those artsy magazine that likes a loooooot of white space.

Comment

LOL. Yeah, some people on Linked-In learn the hard way that advertising is a double-edged sword.
                I wonder how many proposals they got from starving designers?
                I wonder how many designers sent proposals to a start up with potentially nothing to pay them with except "glory and exposure."
                Let us know how it turns out.
                I have a cynical view of the world these days. I'd like to hear if something like this actually works out for someone. That might mean there is still hope.

Comment

I genuinely did/do like the genre of the magazine. So it wasn't necessarily a pitch when I reached out—shared how I related to their content—but kinda "hey, while I have you ear.." kinda thing.

Three months into freelancing and honestly half of my clients came from cold emails. Sometimes I feel that people think, oh since I'm reaching out I'm starving so they can get away with asking for more and not backing up with $$$$. I've been fortunate that the clients I DO have don't nickel and dime me.

Would LOVE one day to have people reach out to me but until then I lurk.

Awaiting a reply on holding my ground not to continue work until an agreement has been made. Will let you know how it goes. Everyone loves a happy ending.

Comment

I stay away from the exposure lure. We aren't rock stars. The only way we get any recognition is unless it looks like crap. I sometimes find gigs on Twitter and I see countless mentions to someone saying "fire the designer it's awful" kinda thing. It's already bad seeing people selling their soul just to do a crap logo for a crappy client.

Comment

UPDATE: I got paid for the changes. Accepted my rate without any back and forth. Today is a good day.

Comment

Nice!
                        Chicago based graphic designer from a little border town in Scotland | Co-Owner of Kom Creative

Comment

Nice one! Glad it worked out.

I find it super interesting that your work comes from cold calling and pitches. What's your success rate? I'm a freelancer but never had any luck pitching or cold calling so I gave up on that. Not sure if it's a local thing where people don't trust unsolicited contact or just me.
                          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Weird, I I know I posted a reply the other day but it's not showing up. What gives?

Comment

• Buda
                              Buda commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I can see your reply to my post above. Is that what you were looking for?

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                          Working...
                          X