Before I start cold emailing...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before I start cold emailing...

Is anyone a member of Editorial Freelance Association? I'm thinking about joining to network with other editorial folks as well to secure some freelance gigs. I've been on the hunt for a magazine client and can't find a well to tap. Are there forums other than SPD? I found if I do find freelance, it's in NY and definitely not remote. I feel like perhaps the clients that I'm looking for our searching people directly rather than advertising for designers. Can anyone provide some insight on how to find my niche client?

I wouldn't be emailing them, at the least I'd call the places I want to do work for and try to find the right people to talk to, a difficult feat on it's own.

It's ridiculously easy to ignore an email pitch. Saying "no" to a phone call is still pretty easy, saying "no" to the person in front of you can be a little more difficult, saying "no" to a person that just brought coffee, a little more difficult. See where this is going?
    Last edited by kemingMatters; 08-12-2016, 03:41 PM.
    Design is not decoration.

Comment

• burgerme
      burgerme commented
      Editing a comment
      Ideally, I would love to meet in person. I'm not sure how possible that is, as I'm after a certain industry which can be located anywhere.

A lot of times, if an organization gets complaints that another member is mass-emailing the other members, that member gets tossed.
    Just sayin'...

This forum has a similar policy regarding PMs.

Comment

• burgerme
      burgerme commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sorry, I don't follow.

Hi burgerme, I'm not a member of the Editorial Freelance Association but it doesn't seem particularly expensive and if you've generally heard good things about it, why not give it a go? It's an investment into your career and most likely tax deductible, so there is very little risk.

Generally, I like your attitude and tenacity here. Perhaps rather than looking for a job, you could approach this as trying to find out how magazines hire and what is important to them. That would give you a good angle when contacting them and gives you a better conversation starter than 'Please give me a job'.

I used to work for lots of large creative agencies, which I imagine operate in a similar way to magazines. Those jobs came to me in 2 ways: via recruitment companies and via LinkedIn approaches. So I would suggest speaking to recruitment agencies that work with magazines, and making sure that your LinkedIn profile is up to date and tailored towards your editorial work.

LinkedIn is also a great place to find magazine editors. While you could cold call, it's much more effective if you try and find someone you know who can introduce you to a magazine editor. Perhaps through 2 connections, if necessary. Once introduced, I would suggest asking for personal advice to get on their radar, rather than soliciting them for work. As an example, "I love your magazine and your career is inspirational. I've got good experience but am finding it really hard to get remote editorial work in the magazine industry. What would be your top tip in my situation?", rather than "Give me a job, I'm really good at what I do". Start a discussion, grow a relationship, then ask for work later on (or they will simply think of you next time they have a job).

Best of luck and please share your stories of what works!

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
    Working...
    X