Negotiation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Negotiation

This article came in my news feed today.
    Freelancers here might want to give it a read.
    https://segd.org/better-negotiation-design

Thanks for the link PrintDriver, I love this topic! This reminds me of a conversation recently about clients that never seem to have a budget. The person I spoke to has come up with a good technique:

You: "So what is your budget?"
    Client: "Well, I don't really know"
    You: "Ok, so shall we say it's $10,000 as a reference point?"
    Client: "Oh my god, no, I was thinking more like $2500"

The article picks this up as well & talks about starting with a high figure if you're forced to negotiate.

If you're into these sort of things, there are other good resources:

Book: Getting to Yes (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Getting-Yes.../dp/1847940935)
    Book: How to win friends and influence people (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...fluence_People)
    Blog: read this recently on Freelance Survivor about selling something small first (http://freelance-survivor.com/client...-work-with-me/)

Comment

But why do creatives struggle more with this than the average professional? Ted explains: "The reason we are valuable to society is that we connect with people emotionally through our work..."
      In general I think the article has good advice, but I disagree to an extent on some of the points.

For example, I'm not sure the main reason creative people struggle with negotiations is because of our tendency to emotionally connect with people. I'm just not convinced that, on average, we're all that different from the norm in that way. Beginning freelancers, in particular, might feel anxiety in negotiations since (1) they have insufficient experience with it and (2) because so much is riding on it -- their bank accounts.

Remember there's only one goal in negotiation: to get as much as you can.
      I disagree with this statement; at least it's not the way I approach things (unless, maybe, I was haggling with a street vendor in Tijuana). My goal is never to extract as much money as possible from a client's wallet. My goal is more of a win-win situation where the client gets great work for a fair price in the hopes of establishing a mutually beneficial partnership.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Glitchin
        Reply to What kind and which book would it be wise to spend on?
        Glitchin
        Work for money design for love by David Airey and Know Your Onions: Graphic Design by Drew De Soto are good books for freelancers if your just starting out in the industry.

Also Pretty Much...
        Today, 03:55 PM
      • Glitchin
        Comment on Logo Feedback
        Glitchin
        I'm confused. This is one of your designs from your original post right? I meant if you could post an image of the logo the client liked, it might help. "They provided me a Logo they want it...
        Today, 03:24 PM
      • Glitchin
        Reply to Critique Please?
        Glitchin
        This is the latest version. I have thickened the CF and lowered the weight of the sound....
        Today, 02:58 PM
      • Glitchin
        Comment on Critique Please?
        Glitchin
        Hey thanks for the feedback.

I have tried what you're suggesting with shapes rather than lines, but it didn't work for me.

That's the challenge, making it looking like CF whilst...
        Today, 02:54 PM
      • PrintDriver
        Reply to Portfolio usage of work
        PrintDriver
        Nice article B, and illustrates my point about being an LLC or a sole proprietor. The LLC is a business entity separate from your personal life. With sole proprietorship, all of your belongings and assets...
        Today, 12:42 PM
      GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
      Working...
      X