No announcement yet.

Feedback guidelines—Do you use them?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All the work I've ever done for the past nearly 20 years has belonged to the client on completion. I'm not talking about the print stuff, of course that belongs to the client. But the design stuff. All the files created are delivered all packaged up at the end of the job. Sourced imagery is purchased with licensing in their name and the usage rights are spelled out for each image. Illustrations commissioned for the job are supplied under appropriate licensing as well, depending on if they were commissioned for exclusive use, term-llimited exclusive use, or under standard royalty terms. Fonts are purchased with licensing to the client. The idea behind the work is the solution to the client's particular commercial need. The final result is a product tailored to their needs. Neither I, nor the company I work for, has any long term vested interest in keeping, or applying for, the copyright on the shell that holds it all together.

They bought it. They own it. The schedule of payments used makes sure that any design work provided at the end of the pay period is adequately covered for client ownership.

Not every designer feels the same way. Whatever makes your business go 'round.

Not sure what you are talking about re Non-exclusive use of client-provided assets, but if a client provides design assets that are their own company property, imagery, text, fonts, trademark, logo, whatever, there is no reason to expect them to grant you non-exclusive rights to use those assets. They have every right to insist you only use them for their project. And every right to insist that you not use them in your personal portfolio.

Sometimes this means the finished work doesn't get to go into the portfolio. Especially stuff that features sourced imagery where the rights for web use were not purchased. Or maybe there are certain terms applied to the use of the project in the portfolio (client name is non-trackable by SEO for instance.)

Which brings us to copyright. You can only copyright the portions of your design that aren't already covered under someone else's copyright. What does that leave you, after you've removed all the client assets? A layout grid and some pretty colors that could apply to any number of design layouts out there.

Anyway, it's an interesting argument.

The back and forth between client and designer during the collaboration phase takes a certain amount of respect between the parties involved. Graphic design isn't about YOUR art. It's about meeting the client's current marketing need, whatever that may be. This is one of the toughest lessons a designer has to learn. Don't look at client input as the client ''messing up YOUR art.'' Listen to what they are trying to say and convince them your way is better. If you have no convincing argument, look again at what they have contributed and why. Yeah, sometimes there is just no way to convince a client not to use a photo of their dog in their logo, but a part of the process of career growth in Graphic Design is learning how to be able to convincingly show a client why that is a really bad idea - without saying so directly.
    Last edited by PrintDriver; 05-05-2017, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by onebadlanding View Post
      I recently had a client send an unfinished design out to a select group of their customers for feedback in the 11th hour of the project. I expressed many reasons why this type of feedback was not helpful, but they couldn't understand.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
      I know this is an old post but I'm honestly baffled why "this type of feedback is not helpful" -- it's the *only* feedback that's helpful. Weird.
      You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
        Not sure what you are talking about re Non-exclusive use of client-provided assets.....
        The “non-exclusive” use clause, I presume, is there to prevent a designer running off with the assets and using them as their own. Perhaps for a jumpy client with a bunch of IP this might be worth it, but I don’t mention it myself. I think it’s in the AIGA standard agreement somewhere.

It took me a while to come around to the idea of handing over files, but after a few years of trying different things it’s just easier to share everything between designer and client. I do release whatever the client wants but depending on the job, sometimes they want everything - other times they’re happy with a PDF. As long as they’re happy, I’m happy!

Comment

Originally posted by EC View Post

I know this is an old post but I'm honestly baffled why "this type of feedback is not helpful" -- it's the *only* feedback that's helpful. Weird.
          Yup. Walk through the door of humility etc etc....

Comment

• EC
            EC commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup. Follow up question: *Not helpful to WHOM?*

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X