Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Designing stuff - sweet. Admin stuff - not so good.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Designing stuff - sweet. Admin stuff - not so good.

Hey there! Hoping i could get some suggestions.

A bit of history - Over 10 years in industry, first 3 at a copy/print centre, 7 at a big corporate, and my last three working at a magazine. A bit of freelancing throughout. With magazine being bi monthly, we fill in the quiet periods with creative work - logo design, stationery, book production, websites, etc. When i freelanced rom home, i had total control with markups and invoicing, using Billings to charge by the hour.

But the magazine hadn't any sort of system setup. I'm finding it messy and in the deep end as i need to get a process going where all my quotes, copy of invoices (we have a book keeper who does the invoicing, so she wants everything on paper), job sheets, and relative information are all in one spot. At the moment I have Billings as a timer, emails full of customer conversations and quotes, print outs of email correspondence and quotes for the book keeper, the boss wants print outs of everything in folders and basically I'm finding the whole thing a mess. Now am being asked to write down every moment of my time spent on both billable creative time as well as admin, to see how much time we don't charge for. My colleague who also does creative work, doesn't follow the system and does her own thing as well, so we are all frustrated with each other. Book keeper constantly has questions, finds errors.

I guess I want to see what processes you guys use, from start to finish. Is there a app that can encapsulate all this information (tried to get colleagues to use Billings, not interested) or some kind of filing system (paper or digital) where each job is clear and concise? With all customer history, past quotes, past jobs, problems, etc? It's a complete mess at the moment, and i don't have the know how to sort it. Previous positions i just had to focus on design, and free lancing was easy as it was all don't in Billings.

Thanks all, please let me know if i'm not clear!

Hi Jane and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Hi Jane, that does sound like a bit of a mess and I completely understand your frustration! As you probably know there are tons of time tracking + invoicing apps out there. I've had experience with Toggle and Harvest Time Tracking and both worked well. For organising projects, we use Trello and I've also worked in places where Basecamp worked pretty well. There are probably more design company specific apps too.

To be honest though: All of these things only work well if there is structure and a certain process is followed, so unless you can get through to management you're going to struggle making any changes. In the meantime, perhaps you could continue with Billings to organise your own time and introduce it slowly to the rest of the team, bit by bit? Guerilla tactics. Good luck!

Comment

Hi Ion124 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X