Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In-house designer looking to further training

Hey all,

I've been a full time in-house graphic designer for over a year with a little freelancing on the side. I'm pretty new to the scene.

The company I work for informed me of a little money in the budget set aside for training and that I should take advantage of it.

I've been researching most of the day but I am at a loss about what is actually worth my time. It'd have to be online as I live in a fairly isolated area or a short class/workshop I can travel to. (preferably Canadian)
    I've been looking into the HOW Design University classes/workshops as well as getting a lynda.com membership.

My background for reference is a BFA in Fine Arts and a diploma in Graphic Design. If I had to say one area that I am particularly lacking in it would be Motion Graphics and Video, which wasn't really taught in my program. I'm also interested in more general creative thinking/business/branding classes. Stuff to expand the the designer mind, y'know?

So, any ideas or opinions on further training?

Welcome to GDF RatDisco. We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Go for it ... Whenever a company that I have worked for pays for training I jumped on it... that's a no brainer... you can ask for raise later!
      "After all is said and done, more is said than done."
      Aesop

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• seamas
        Reply to Sort of a Constructivism Inspired Poster
        seamas
        I agree with HotButton on just about everything here --especially the extra question parks.
        Leave extra punctuation to Pam in accounting. You are a Graphic Designer--use a graphic designer solution....
        Today, 02:51 PM
      • KitchWitch
        Reply to Newbie101 here
        KitchWitch
        Hi Newbie101 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
        Today, 02:44 PM
      • B
        Reply to What specifications of PC laptop should I buy for design jobs?
        B
        What PrintDriver said, is accurate for pro-level work. However, since you're on a budget, you can get by with less.

Editing video with 16GB of RAM is doable without too much pain, unless...
        Today, 02:15 PM
      • Newbie101
        Newbie101 here
        Newbie101
        Hey, I'm from the middle east, in my twenties, just found my passion for design, and I'm sure I can rock this.
        I know nothing much yet, but I hope I would learn many from here
        Today, 01:43 PM
      • KitchWitch
        Reply to Having trouble with printers and am very lost
        KitchWitch
        Hi Felinafullstop and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
        Today, 01:03 PM
      GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
      Working...
      X